BBQ tick :(

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Can you post a video with the sound you’re hearing? I’m wanting to try to catalog a lot of these so that we can see if they may, in fact, be slightly different issues (BBQ tick vs. typewriter tick).

Here is the sound of mine - which compares well with everyone who has the “typewriter tick“.

We’ve been discussing this for four years. Here’s the main thread. Have fun. 👍

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...al-characteristic.116925/page-23#post-3183619
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone ever had the break in oil tested? Could it contain similar addictive like the Ceratec? Not trying to argue with one but almost everyone that gets their first oil change and has a tick, its because they get synthetic blend which is when they start hearing the tick. Since day one I have asked for full synthetic and with over 16,000 miles I still dont have any ticks.
Was done a long time ago. Proved nothing. I had my 1st change tested. Nothing but motor oil. 7000 miles, no tick.

OP
OP
bammons88

bammons88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
I find it really strange that a lot of owners develop the tick after the first oil change. I'd have to wager that oil from the factory has to have some type of modifier in it to mask the tick. My engine was quiet as could be, now after this first oil change it sounds like someone is pelting the oil pan and exhaust with rocks lol

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I find it really strange that all of owners develop the tick after the first oil change. I'd have to wager that oil from the factory has to have some type of modifier in it to mask the tick. My engine was quiet as could be, now after this first oil change it sounds like someone is pelting the oil pan and exhaust with rocks lol
Not all owners get the tick after the first oil change. Some do, some don’t. The oil does not have any kind of modifier in it. Like I said in an earlier post this discussion has been ongoing for four years with no conclusions. Ford says it’s normal, and no one has blown and engine because of it. It just is what it is.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Well whats funny is mine started after the 2nd oil change. To be honest it doesn't really bother me anymore. Would I prefer it didn't do it..well of course yes. It really doesn't detract me from enjoying the car though.

I am not going to Ford anymore for my oil changes. I have a contract with them for oil changes as it was part of the sale package. I will pass and moving on to full synthetic my next change.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Well whats funny is mine started after the 2nd oil change. To be honest it doesn't really bother me anymore. Would I prefer it didn't do it..well of course yes. It really doesn't detract me from enjoying the car though.

I am not going to Ford anymore for my oil changes. I have a contract with them for oil changes as it was part of the sale package. I will pass and moving on to full synthetic my next change.
You can still go to them and ask them for Motorcraft full syn. Just pay the difference.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
What this means is: Ford has a special oil that they put in all V8 Mustangs at Flat Rock;

Ford does not sell this oil nor do they allow their dealers to order it, the dealers are stuck with regular MotorCraft semi-syn 5W-20 which we know makes the engines tick;

Ford knows their special oil prevents ticks but they would rather deal with bad reviews than provide this oil for sale;

Ford keeps this oil a secret so no one knows what is in it or that it even exists;

Ford's oil supplier is also sworn to secrecy and is not permitted to sell this oil to any of their other customers;

Ford thinks we are stupid but we are on to their devious plan (I think).

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
What this means is: Ford has a special oil that they put in all V8 Mustangs at Flat Rock;

Ford does not sell this oil nor do they allow their dealers to order it, the dealers are stuck with regular MotorCraft semi-syn 5W-20 which we know makes the engines tick;

Ford knows their special oil prevents ticks but they would rather deal with bad reviews than provide this oil for sale;

Ford keeps this oil a secret so no one knows what is in it or that it even exists;

Ford's oil supplier is also sworn to secrecy and is not permitted to sell this oil to any of their other customers;

Please dear God, tell me your being sarcastic.

OP
OP
bammons88

bammons88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT

Don't be condescending, it is well known some manufactures have/or still are filling with oil off the line contains additional additives to help with engine break in, that aren't found in your conventional off the shelf oils unless you buy the additive separately and add it yourself. Usually high concentrations of moly, or zinc, etc. Who is to say ford doesn't use the same additive package in their first fill oil?

Obviously something is different if you have 95% of the people who developed the "tick" after an oil change, adding a friction modifier to the oil that isn't found in it from the manufacturer and the tick disappears.

Last edited:

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Since the days of flat tappets ended I have not seen any verified information that automakers are adding break-in supplements to the oil. I did not mean to be condescending, it was purely sarcastic. I do not doubt anyone who claims their engine ticks (mine makes a lot of different noises) but I still do not buy into the idea that the tick appears immediately after the first oil change nor that a certain friction modifier makes it disappear.

OP
OP
bammons88

bammons88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
Since the days of flat tappets ended I have not seen any verified information that automakers are adding break-in supplements to the oil. I did not mean to be condescending, it was purely sarcastic. I still do not buy into the idea that the tick appears immediately after the first oil change nor that a certain friction modifier makes it disappear.
Like I said I didn't buy into the tick either, my car was dead quiet..no taps, ticks, or rattles all way way up to 3800 miles..took it to the dealer had state inspection done and first oil change. Drove home and garaged it, wasn't till the next day when my wife called me asking if something is wrong with the car because it sounds like "a quarter tapping on the wash machine" that I knew the tick appeared. The only thing that was done was an oil change, watched it on the lift..nothing out of the ordinary.

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Since the days of flat tappets ended I have not seen any verified information that automakers are adding break-in supplements to the oil. I did not mean to be condescending, it was purely sarcastic. I do not doubt anyone who claims their engine ticks (mine makes a lot of different noises) but I still do not buy into the idea that the tick appears immediately after the first oil change nor that a certain friction modifier makes it disappear.
It directly did for me - did _not_ have it before - first noticed it the evening after my first oil change (wasn't looking for it - could hear it reverberating off the wall of the drive-through).

Why on earth are there so many people here insistent that the _many many many_ accounts of developing the tick after the first oil change are just "wrong". I don't get it.

Deleted member 35644

I've been reading about this since 2017 (I think). One of the most interesting car-related mysteries I've encountered. Not something I hope to ever encounter. friedmud's sounds like a damn THUD. Just so weird that it's not consistent. Hope someone figures it out someday. It's hard to idle a disassembled engine, looking for a tick.
Sponsored