Sponsored

BBQ Tick After Oil Change...

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
It's amazing some dealership service departments still don't know the 2018+ Coyote takes 10 qts and not 8 ... and the car has been out 3+ years, lol.
How would you explain my '17 getting 5 quarts instead of 8 then?
Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
It's amazing some dealership service departments still don't know the 2018+ Coyote takes 10 qts and not 8 ... and the car has been out 3+ years, lol.

If I was going to have an oil change done by anyone (which I don't do), I'd specifically tell them and even show them in the owner's manual how much oil the engine takes, and verify they know that fact before letting them touch the car.
I let the car sit over night and pulled the dip cold this morning and it is okay. I wanted to verify it was corrected. Its about half way up on the hash marks (cold) which I've read is what people get when they put exactly 10 quarts with a filter in as per the manual. I'm not sure why thats what the factory fill quantity seems to settle at but its been noted here in a thread or 2. In any case that amounts fine & I can adjust a little if need be plus it leaves some room for some Ceratec if I go that route. Tomorrow I'm going to call and raise the issue politely as I don't think I can just let it go without some interaction.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
FWIW I'm probably on 5th oil change in the last year at 14k miles... This time used Penzoil Platium (not the ultra) full syn 5-20 and no tick after

Sponsored

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
I let the car sit over night and pulled the dip cold this morning and it is okay. I wanted to verify it was corrected. Its about half way up on the hash marks (cold) which I've read is what people get when they put exactly 10 quarts with a filter in as per the manual. I'm not sure why thats what the factory fill quantity seems to settle at but its been noted here in a thread or 2. In any case that amounts fine & I can adjust a little if need be plus it leaves some room for some Ceratec if I go that route. Tomorrow I'm going to call and raise the issue politely as I don't think I can just let it go without some interaction.
10 quarts and a bottle of Ceratec put mine right smack on the full line.

Chris5.0coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I posted a video on my YouTube upadating the tick with my car it’s been 30k miles since having the tick and still nothing wrong with the car going to be finally installing long tubes CAI and e85 and tuning the car @Chris5.0coyote is my Instagram
Also two oil changes ago the dealer didn’t even put enough oil to even touch the dip stick I turned the car off at the dealer and always check before I leave the dealer and I tried using that as a excuse as why my car started ticking and even after telling them that they said it was normal I got paper work documenting them not putting enough oil just Incase the motor decided to really mess up also they gave me 3 free oil changes because of this and now they always put 10qrts but since my tick isn’t causing a issue even after opening multiple oil filters I have no clue what the noise is coming from using a stethoscope it sounds like it’s actually coming from inside the oil pan right where it connects to the block who knows not Gona take my motor appart to find out unless it blows I’ll go through it check out the video ceratec shut that shit up

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
10 quarts and a bottle of Ceratec put mine right smack on the full line.
Ok thanks that makes sense the Ceratec is 300 ml and I figure I'm about 400 ml low of the top of the hash marks cold.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
FWIW I haven't found any consistency with the tick. During the summer, with PP 5w30 (sn+ formulation) I had the bbq all the time. It was kind of a bummer, but I just ignored it. This was the case for two oil changes. I did an oil change to PP 5w20 (sn+) for the colder weather (went from 60 to the teens in a couple of days) and haven't heard the bbq tick since. I'm curious if I'd hear the bbq tick right away if the temperature shot up to 70° F (perfect.... bbq weather).

EDIT: I've never used ceratec in the engine, either.

Andy22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 race red gt
Greetings from the UK.I have a 2019 GT and when i changed the oil at 1000 miles i noticed a slight tick afterwards.nothing to get excited about after reading the posts here.I have just had the oil changed again at 1 year/ 8500 miles at ford and it is ticking its ass off when cold!.way louder than the last change.have a bottle of ceratec in the garage and now waiting for engine to burn some oil before i can use it:facepalm:

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
^^^As I said guys, as time has gone on from thinking it was piston slap (NO), to big ends colliding (maybe), to pump issues (NO), to oil cavitation (maybe), to finally realizing it is directly in response to oil pressure at lower RPM. My guess is lazy HLA's at low pressure with small gaps to the rocker arm. But whatever the case, it really doesn't seem to affect the longevity or reliability of the engine.

Last edited:

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
^^^As I said guys, as time has gone on from thinking it was piston slap (NO), to big ends colliding (maybe), to pump issues (NO), to oil cavitation (maybe), to finally realizing it is directly in response to oil pressure at lower RPM. My guess is lazy HLA's at low pressure with small gaps to the rocker arm. But whatever the case, it really doesn't seem to affect the longevity or reliability of the engine.
Here's another scenario for you guys.

Engine ticks on 5w20 MC. It randomly ticks on engine as you use it, but also you can make it tick by staying in neutral and varying rpms at around 2000-2200, any engine temp. This rpm range tick at that short block was not fixable even by ceratec btw.

So oil is changed to 5w30 Castrol. Range tick shifts to 1600-1800 rpm range and becomes more pronounced. I do not believe it was due to oil brand, but viscosity.

Switching from 5w20 mc to 5w20 m1 did not make any difference.

P.S. God knows how many oils I tried in sttempts to eliminate the tick.

Last edited:

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
That, and Ceratec is fairly pricey. Adding $25 for a whole bottle every oil change isn't something we should "have" to do.
Yes, I also feel it's not alright to add anything to the engine but oil. But I also remember how awful it was to hear the tick. Price is not really an issue for me as you do not change oil every day.

Also, ceratec is really weird looking substance. If you premix it with oil, it looks like latte as you pour it in. If you drain oil containing ceratec within several hundred miles, it looks like caramel.

Old oil with ceratec (several thousand miles) looks usual though.

I have this theory that oil change process itself (due to temporary oil starvation) causes the tick.

If it is correct, then adding additive like mos2 to oil some time before the oil change, to give it enough time to work into surfaces should be a good preventative measure for bbq tick. Mos2 is cheaper, oil with this additive does not look this ugly either.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I heard Mos2 isn't as effective.

One other superlube additive on the market is Rislone Nano Prime with Tungsten Nano spheres. I wonder if anyone has tried it with success?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I have this theory that oil change process itself (due to temporary oil starvation) causes the tick.
I pre-fill the oil filter as much as possible. My 15 GT has never ticked.
Sponsored