Sponsored

Basic Wash & Protect Procedure Help... Black GT

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
aren't you supposed to wash wheels/tires first from what I've seen
I always wash my wheels and tires first. Keeps any potential dirty soap/water from the wheels and tires from getting on the clean paint
This is my approach too, but ultimately, do which ever you are comfortable with.
Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I have always washed the wheels and tires first to get the dirtiest parts before washing the car with a fresh bucket.
Same here. I only have 2 buckets so I do the wheels and tires first. Then I completely clean the tire bucket and reuse it for my rinse bucket after I foam cannon the paint and wait for it to dwell for a few minutes. I need to get a third bucket for wheels but this has worked forever so I go with it.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Same here. I only have 2 buckets so I do the wheels and tires first. Then I completely clean the tire bucket and reuse it for my rinse bucket after I foam cannon the paint and wait for it to dwell for a few minutes. I need to get a third bucket for wheels but this has worked forever so I go with it.
Wow, I'd never do that. How can you put your wiping items in a bucket that had tire & wheel chemicals in it? I can't imagine you would ever know if it were 100% clean.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
I too have a longstanding love-hate relationship with black cars 😀

The only comment I will add beyond the excellent advice already given is to consider a large 100% cotton bath towel for drying. It needs to be a high quantity towel and truly 100% cotton. I know that is kind of old school, but I find them to be more absorbent and hold more water than any of the microfiber drying towels I have tried. The microfiber towels always seem to leave behind a finely beaded film of water and many old school detailers would never consider using them. Be sure to wash and dry the towels a few times before using them to break them in.

The other piece of advice that I suspect you already know as a dark paint veteran is to learn to embrace a level of imperfection. The only way to keep your black paint perfect is to leave your car in the garage and never drive it.

Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Wow, I'd never do that. How can you put your wiping items in a bucket that had tire & wheel chemicals in it? I can't imagine you would ever know if it were 100% clean.
Wheel bucket only has water in it for rinsing out brushes and stuff. I spray chemicals on tires and wheels directly. I don't use any kind of aggressive chemicals ever. Just a quick rinse out the bucket with pressure washer and good to go. Then I use for the rinse bucket for my wash mits. I typically don't rinse my wash mits and reuse on the paint that wash. I have 2 mits and use one for the topside and one for the bottom parts so they only get rinsed in the bucket and never back on the paint again that wash. I foam twice. Once to dwell and rinse then second foam and wash with the mits. Has worked for me for. years. I do need to get another bucket though to keep from having to rinse and repeat so much.

OP
OP
PhillyMike

PhillyMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT, 2015 Dodge Durango RT
67FA0B0D-A264-4166-8504-19F7A8E63AE9.jpeg
Pic as promised . Will have to do for now…did wash process with slick and slide. Too much pollen to leave out after washing! Will use polish after decontamination with iron remover on next wash once trees done with spewing sex all over here in eastern PA

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
If it bothers you that much, you shouldn't have bought a black car. :p

In all seriousness if you touch it, it's going to scratch. Eventually. That is simply the reality of any non-metallic dark color. Every damn thing shows up.

I also would not bother with hand polishing. You are not likely to remove marring and may actually install more. The human hand cannot really replicate the pattern of a DA polisher to any accurate degree.

I have had a few cars come through my shop that were "hand polished" and the client managed to simply make a mess of the finish.

I saw the other guy posted quite a few links so I'm not going to bother with adding to it, although one thing I might add is that Larry Kosilla has several good videos on proper wash techniques on his youtube channel(ammo nyc).

OP
OP
PhillyMike

PhillyMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
If it bothers you that much, you shouldn't have bought a black car. :p
:crackup: But... but they so pretty!

Yes, this forum and some of the suggestions have been great. Much improved wash routine with 3 buckets and foam cannon. For hand polish, goal is just to enhance gloss and maybe get some fill-in of minor swirls. I'm over obsessing about it. Looks great when clean with a detail topper like slick n slide.

IMG_4996.JPG
IMG_5006.JPG

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
:crackup: But... but they so pretty!

Yes, this forum and some of the suggestions have been great. Much improved wash routine with 3 buckets and foam cannon. For hand polish, goal is just to enhance gloss and maybe get some fill-in of minor swirls. I'm over obsessing about it. Looks great when clean with a detail topper like slick n slide.

IMG_4996.JPG
IMG_5006.JPG
That looks stunning!

How do you like Slick & Slide?

OP
OP
PhillyMike

PhillyMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
That looks stunning!

How do you like Slick & Slide?
Foolproof. Super easy to apply and wipe, gave a nice extra touch of gloss and surface slickness, smelled great. Haven't checked water beading, will see next time I drive in rain.

Not sure if it would give the 'protection' of a wax, but also not sure if a wax (paste or liquid) really does anything more than enhances gloss, improves water beading, and reduces friction... which is what this does but with minimal effort.

Will see how it holds up.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Foolproof. Super easy to apply and wipe, gave a nice extra touch of gloss and surface slickness, smelled great. Haven't checked water beading, will see next time I drive in rain.

Not sure if it would give the 'protection' of a wax, but also not sure if a wax (paste or liquid) really does anything more than enhances gloss, improves water beading, and reduces friction... which is what this does but with minimal effort.

Will see how it holds up.
If anything, it will probably outlast a number of traditional waxes.

Another happy user of the slick and slide. Thanks again @DFB5.0!!
IMG_2846.jpeg
IMG_2848.jpeg
IMG_2849.jpeg
Great to hear the feedback and I'm glad you (both) liked it.

For those who don't know, Adam's Slick & Slide is the same product as Xtreme Solutions Topper and Obsessed Garage Drying Aid.

Xtreme Solutions Topper is pink in color and peach scented.
Xtreme Solutions (877askxtreme.com)

xst101.jpg

OG Drying Aid is not colored or scented.
Drying Aid | Car Paint Protectant | Obsessed Garage

IMG-2836.jpg

Slick & Slide is yellow in color and has a fruity "Hawaiian Punch" scent.
Adam's Slick & Slide - Adam's Polishes (adamspolishes.com)

IMG-4689.jpg

The great thing about all three is the ability for them to play well with ceramic coatings AND traditional waxes and sealants.