2023 Mustang GT, 2015 Dodge Durango RT

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Just brought home a new 2023 GT last week: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/my-2023-gt-finally-arrived.187853/
Black GT with PP in my profile pic.

I've been going through the detailing threads and DFB's posts on exterior and interior care and am overwhelmed.

Need help with a basic, biweekly or as needed, process to keep the car clean and protected with readily available products in the US Northeast. Available = can buy at Walmart/Target or Advance Auto/NAPA, maybe Amazon if not silly expensive.

To set expectations- not looking for car show quality every time. This car is my main transportation and DD. I like washing and caring for my cars myself and get satisfaction from it, but with this car think I need an improved but still realistic routine.

Our other vehicle is a black Durango RT, and my previous car I just sold was a dark blue Infiniti G37. For both the below was my regular process- again this is to set the benchmark of where I am coming from. I am now more aware this is not ideal.

1.) Spray car with hose to wet and wash off surface dirt
2.) Put car wash liquid (Rain-X spot free is what I have now) in a big bucket of water
3) $15 Carwash mitt goes in bucket and I clean one panel at a time until whole car is soapy
4.) Rinse car off
5.) Clean wheels with separate cloth, often would just toss afterwards- used old underwear or tshirt- then armor all on the tires
6.) Dry whole car with a chamois or if they (have two) got too wet use a clean old t-shirt to finish off
7.) A few times I used a paste wax- didn't like how it would leave white residue on some rubber trim, probably user error.
8.) Glass care, used invisible glass aerosol and a cheap microfiber towel from harbor freight as needed

While the results were acceptable, and certainly better than running through a car wash, as noted above I would like to up my game without being obsessive.

Initial thoughts from looking at these threads, and where specific recommendations would help:
1.) Need to get a basic foam cannon to get more dirt off initially vs. water rinse- suggestions here or are they all pretty much the same? Fine to use one attached to hose with average municipal water pressure, or do I need to get one that attaches to my $80 harbor freight pressure washer I use for the deck?
2.) Need to have separate buckets for soap and a rinse bucket for my mitt after doing a panel to remove any grit. Do they matter or any bucket will do?
3.) Probably a better wash mitt- any favorites?
4.) Are the yellow chamois and/or tshirts to dry good enough, or are there specific cloth choices I should look into?
5.) After washing, need a reco for a protective coat/wax that will make next wash easier, provide some protection, look good without white residue on trim. Heard Meguiars hybrid ceramic was might be good, thoughts on this or other recommendations? Prefer wipe-on, wipe off as that is all I have ever used in past.
6.) Is there something I should put on the car (sealer or paint defect filler) I should put down before #5? Would need to be foolproof, don't want to mess with buffers/polishers at this point.
7.) Wheel (I have PP black gloss wheels) and tire products? I assume Armor All is not the top choice here by reading the threads.

What else am I missing?

Not looking for perfect, but I think if I do what I used to do with my cars I'll wind up with a pretty swirly black car in 2-3 years. Just looking to keep it presentable and shiny to casual eyes.

Thanks to those who read this far :)
I've been using a foam cannon on a power washer and two bucket wash system for a few years now and that has been a game changer.

MACHtobers Very Own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MACH 1
@DFB5.0 updating the thread but I tried the bug and tar remover you recommended and got substantially better results. I admit I even rushed it a little bit with the sun going down and still was happy with the results upon applying dressing. May try again when I have more time but so far happy and thanks for advice!
Sponsored