Basic Wash & Protect Procedure Help... Black GT

PhillyMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT, 2015 Dodge Durango RT
Just brought home a new 2023 GT last week: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/my-2023-gt-finally-arrived.187853/
Black GT with PP in my profile pic.

I've been going through the detailing threads and DFB's posts on exterior and interior care and am overwhelmed.

Need help with a basic, biweekly or as needed, process to keep the car clean and protected with readily available products in the US Northeast. Available = can buy at Walmart/Target or Advance Auto/NAPA, maybe Amazon if not silly expensive.

To set expectations- not looking for car show quality every time. This car is my main transportation and DD. I like washing and caring for my cars myself and get satisfaction from it, but with this car think I need an improved but still realistic routine.

Our other vehicle is a black Durango RT, and my previous car I just sold was a dark blue Infiniti G37. For both the below was my regular process- again this is to set the benchmark of where I am coming from. I am now more aware this is not ideal.

1.) Spray car with hose to wet and wash off surface dirt
2.) Put car wash liquid (Rain-X spot free is what I have now) in a big bucket of water
3) $15 Carwash mitt goes in bucket and I clean one panel at a time until whole car is soapy
4.) Rinse car off
5.) Clean wheels with separate cloth, often would just toss afterwards- used old underwear or tshirt- then armor all on the tires
6.) Dry whole car with a chamois or if they (have two) got too wet use a clean old t-shirt to finish off
7.) A few times I used a paste wax- didn't like how it would leave white residue on some rubber trim, probably user error.
8.) Glass care, used invisible glass aerosol and a cheap microfiber towel from harbor freight as needed

While the results were acceptable, and certainly better than running through a car wash, as noted above I would like to up my game without being obsessive.

Initial thoughts from looking at these threads, and where specific recommendations would help:
1.) Need to get a basic foam cannon to get more dirt off initially vs. water rinse- suggestions here or are they all pretty much the same? Fine to use one attached to hose with average municipal water pressure, or do I need to get one that attaches to my $80 harbor freight pressure washer I use for the deck?
2.) Need to have separate buckets for soap and a rinse bucket for my mitt after doing a panel to remove any grit. Do they matter or any bucket will do?
3.) Probably a better wash mitt- any favorites?
4.) Are the yellow chamois and/or tshirts to dry good enough, or are there specific cloth choices I should look into?
5.) After washing, need a reco for a protective coat/wax that will make next wash easier, provide some protection, look good without white residue on trim. Heard Meguiars hybrid ceramic was might be good, thoughts on this or other recommendations? Prefer wipe-on, wipe off as that is all I have ever used in past.
6.) Is there something I should put on the car (sealer or paint defect filler) I should put down before #5? Would need to be foolproof, don't want to mess with buffers/polishers at this point.
7.) Wheel (I have PP black gloss wheels) and tire products? I assume Armor All is not the top choice here by reading the threads.

What else am I missing?

Not looking for perfect, but I think if I do what I used to do with my cars I'll wind up with a pretty swirly black car in 2-3 years. Just looking to keep it presentable and shiny to casual eyes.

Thanks to those who read this far :)
Sponsored

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
For starters that chamois has to go. Get yourself some good microfiber drying towels. Also add some bucket dirt traps (or what ever they're called).

Last edited:

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Pressure wash the car, then get some good soap (CarPro or Koch Chemie is a good place to look) for a foam cannon. Spray the car with foam and let it sit for a while but not dry, then pressure wash the car clean. This removes a ton of the surface dirt that can cause swirls/scratches while actually washing the car (check theragcompany.com for starters) with a mit. Two bucket process with dirt traps in both buckets.

Dry with microfiber by dragging/dabbing the towel.

This is a great start to keeping clean.

Check car craft auto detail on YouTube.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Just brought home a new 2023 GT last week: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/my-2023-gt-finally-arrived.187853/

I've been going through the detailing threads and DFB's posts on exterior and interior care and am overwhelmed.

Need help with a basic, biweekly or as needed, process to keep the car clean and protected with readily available products in the US Northeast. Available = can buy at Walmart/Target or Advance Auto/NAPA, maybe Amazon if not silly expensive.

To set expectations- not looking for car show quality every time. This car is my main transportation and DD. I like washing and caring for my cars myself and get satisfaction from it, but with this car think I need an improved but still realistic routine.

Our other vehicle is a black Durango RT, and my previous car I just sold was a dark blue Infiniti G37. For both the below was my regular process- again this is to set the benchmark of where I am coming from. I am now more aware this is not ideal.

2.) Put car wash liquid (Rain-X spot free is what I have now) in a big bucket of water
3) $15 Carwash mitt goes in bucket and I clean one panel at a time until whole car is soapy
4.) Rinse car off
5.) Clean wheels with separate cloth, often would just toss afterwards- used old underwear or tshirt- then armor all on the tires
6.) Dry whole car with a chamois or if they (have two) got too wet use a clean old t-shirt to finish off
7.) A few times I used a paste wax- didn't like how it would leave white residue on some rubber trim, probably user error.
8.) Glass care, used invisible glass aerosol and a cheap microfiber towel from harbor freight as needed

While the results were acceptable, and certainly better than running through a car wash, as noted above I would like to up my game without being obsessive.

Initial thoughts from looking at these threads, and where specific recommendations would help:
1.) Need to get a basic foam cannon to get more dirt off initially vs. water rinse- suggestions here or are they all pretty much the same? Fine to use one attached to hose with average municipal water pressure, or do I need to get one that attaches to my $80 harbor freight pressure washer I use for the deck?
2.) Need to have separate buckets for soap and a rinse bucket for my mitt after doing a panel to remove any grit. Do they matter or any bucket will do?
4.) Are the yellow chamois and/or tshirts to dry good enough, or are there specific cloth choices I should look into?
5.) After washing, need a reco for a protective coat/wax that will make next wash easier, provide some protection, look good without white residue on trim. Heard Meguiars hybrid ceramic was might be good, thoughts on this or other recommendations? Prefer wipe-on, wipe off as that is all I have ever used in past.
6.) Is there something I should put on the car (sealer or paint defect filler) I should put down before #5? Would need to be foolproof, don't want to mess with buffers/polishers at this point.
7.) Wheel (I have PP black gloss wheels) and tire products? I assume Armor All is not the top choice here by reading the threads.

What else am I missing?

Not looking for perfect, but I think if I do what I used to do with my cars I'll wind up with a pretty swirly black car in 2-3 years. Just looking to keep it presentable and shiny to casual eyes.

If you're looking to avoid swirls then you need to touch the car as little as possible.

I've had some rarer color cars over the years and I've always struggled to keep the swirls off, learned the hard way but this this what I do.

I'll pressure wash the car to get most of the larger dirt particles off. Then I'll use Meguiars Gold Wash (the best). I use a chemical guys Big Mofo wash mitt (the pink one). Its really good because its so large and can hide all the particles it picks up far away from the paint. The wash and rinse one panel at a time. To dry my car I use a Toro Electric Leaf blower (the 700 CFM one). You want to use the most CFM possible to move the most water. I realized over time that drying a car, even with a microfiber, will eventually put swirl marks in the paint. So I use a blower to dry my car.

I would highly recommend investing in a nice sealant (chemical guys jet seal works pretty good). It will protect it in the long run, make washing easier, and save your butt down the line when you wish you had done it earlier, lol.

Dai Uy Ted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2020 Maserati Levante S Ribelle
I have the car ceramic coated as soon as I acquire it. If the +/- $1500 is too much, I consider getting a cheaper car. Then keeping it in show condition is sooo much easier, especially with a California Duster! Most of my recent cars have been black (my latest) or dark blue.

Then, all that other OCD stuff.

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

4.) Rinse car off

What else am I missing?

Ok, so a lot to process here.

First of all, have a read of the following thread, which you can pick and choose how much of that you adapt to your situation. For example, leave out the tire cleaning and blow drying to save on time. Either way, the basic process and order of tasks is a good place to start from.

DFB's Maintenance Washing Guide | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

I didn't provide links in that thread, or the following one, but the idea is that it gives a quick reference to then go shopping with. Any product or tool listed there is going to give you results. Again, pick and choose what you want or need.

DFB'S LITTLE BLACK BOOK OF DETAILING 2022 | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

Having said that, here are a few notes to consider -

(Note - I cant link you with your chain stores in the USA because of anti-competition laws here in Australia, so I will stick with brand names.)

1) Foam Cannon - you will get the best results from a pressure washer foam cannon, the garden hose ones simply coat the car in soapy water. That may or may not be what you want.
Adam's Polishes Standard Foam Gun | Best Foam Gun For Car Soap Shampoo (adamspolishes.com)
Adam's Polishes Foam Gun | Soap Gun Cannon For Garden Hose (adamspolishes.com)
Adam's Premium Foam Cannon - Adam's Polishes (adamspolishes.com)

2) Buckets - you want three buckets, one dedicated to wheels, two for bodywork (wash, rinse). Have a grit gaurd in each for safety.
Amazon.com : grit guard

3) Wash Mits/Pads - I like the TRC Cycone. Order two and rotate them.
Amazon.com: The Rag Company - The Cyclone Ultra Wash Mitt + Cyclone Ultra 6x8 Wash Pad Combo Pack - Microfiber Blend, Twist Loop Interior Liner Ideal for Foam, Soap + Bucket, & Rinseless Washing Methods : Automotive
Amazon.com: Adam's Microfiber Car Wash Mitt, Car Sponge Wrapped In Soft, Plush Fiber Cloth Material, Safe Washing With Any Car Soap, Bucket, Foam Gun, Foam Cannon, Other Cleaning Supplies : Automotive

4) Drying Towel - as mentioned, ditch the chamois, this is especially important on a black car. TRC Gauntlet is my favorite, again, order two.
Amazon.com: The Rag Company - The Gauntlet Drying Towel - 70/30 Blend Korean Microfiber, Designed to Dry Vehicles Faster, More Thoroughly & More Gently Than Others, 900gsm, 20in x 30in, Ice Grey + Grey : Everything Else

5) Wax/Sealant - in the spirit of choosing basic/easy, I have two options for you.

Adam's Slick & Slide. This is applied with a towel or two, spray on, wipe off. DONE. Do this every month or so to keep it topped up.
Adam's Slick & Slide - Adam's Polishes (adamspolishes.com)

Adam's Rinse + Coat. This can be easily applied to the whole car, including the wheels. Wash the car as usual, while still wet and working one panel at a time, mist the product onto the panel and rinse immediately. The stream of water activates the sealant and coats the in a ceramic based sealant. So easy, minimal effort and will make cleaning and drying much easier. Apply once a month. Also look at Gyeon Wet Coat if you can find some, or even 303 Touchless Sealant.

Rinse + Coat - Adam's Polishes (adamspolishes.com)

6) See above

7) Wheel & Tire Cleaner - another Adam's product, but their Wheel & Tire Cleaner will do both roles. You will need a separate towel or wash mitt, and probably an EZ-Detail brush for those wheels. And a stiff brush for wheel cleaning if needed.
Adam's Wheel & Tire Cleaner - Adam's Polishes (adamspolishes.com)
Amazon.com: Tire Brush, Stiff Bristle Wheel Cleaning Brush, Car Carpet Brush, Detail Brush : Automotive
Amazon.com: EZ Detail Brush Big : Automotive

Tire dressing, its hard to pick one for me, so I'll leave you these two for their ease of use -

Graphene Tire Dressing™ - Adam's Polishes (adamspolishes.com)
Amazon.com: Turtle Wax 53733 Hybrid Solutions Graphene Acrylic Tire Shine Spray Coating, No Sling Tire Dressing, Long Lasting Deep Black Shine, UV Protection & Dirt Repellant, 23 oz : Automotive
Amazon.com: IPELY 2 Pack Large Tire Shine Applicator Pad, Durable and Reusable Hex-Grip Tire Dressing Applicator Pad for Applying Tire Shine : Automotive

##SOAP## - I have added this catorgory, as a good soap will make or break a wash. Not to harp on Adam's, but they are readily available for you guys and very well prices. All three of their soaps get my approval, all work in a bucket or foam cannon.
Adam's Polishes Car Wash Shampoo | Ph Neutral Car Care Foaming Soap (adamspolishes.com)
Adam's Mega Foam Car Shampoo | The Best For Foam Cannons & Foam Guns - Adam's Polishes (adamspolishes.com)
Adam's Polishes Ultra Foam Shampoo | Best Foam Gun Foaming Car Wash (adamspolishes.com)

I hope that helps. :like:

OP
OP
PhillyMike

PhillyMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Ok, so a lot to process here.

First of all, have a read of the following thread, which you can pick and choose how much of that you adapt to your situation. For example, leave out the tire cleaning and blow drying to save on time. Either way, the basic process and order of tasks is a good place to start from.

*snip* (lots of great stuff)

I hope that helps. :like:
Excellent- this helps a lot. You basically gave me a simple version of your black book with products I can get easily- exactly what I hoped for. :clap:

Going down another rabbit hole...

I did notice some light swirl marks on finish already from Ford/transport or the dealership- can only see either close up in bright sun or in garage with flashlight at an angle. I may get there, but not quite ready to break out a DA polisher yet.

Would a product like this be worthwhile for reducing light swirl marks when applied by hand with the matching Adams applicator?

https://adamspolishes.com/products/adam-s-revive-fine-hand-car-polish

Assuming that a novice would not make worse using a mild polish like this and using by hand. Or would this be such a pain and take so much time that I should just use the wash and sealant DFB recommended and live with mild swirls that no-one but I will notice until I learn to use a DA polisher.

Thanks.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Excellent- this helps a lot. You basically gave me a simple version of your black book with products I can get easily- exactly what I hoped for. :clap:

I did notice some light swirl marks on finish already from Ford/transport or the dealership- can only see either close up in bright sun or in garage with flashlight at an angle. I may get there, but not quite ready to break out a DA polisher yet.

Would a product like this be worthwhile for reducing light swirl marks when applied by hand with the matching Adams applicator?

Assuming that a novice would not make worse using a mild polish like this and using by hand. Or would this be such a pain and take so much time that I should just use the wash and sealant DFB recommended and live with mild swirls that no-one but I will notice until I learn to use a DA polisher.

Thanks.
I think we all start off polishing by hand. Unless you are doing something very silly, you won't screw it up. Ultimate correction is limited by hand, but that's ok, your aim is to make is so glossy you wont notice any minor marring. A lot of hand polishes have fillers in them to help mask these minor imperfections. You then seal that in with a coat of wax or sealant.

Time wise, you should be able to knock this out within an afternoon or so at best, a day at worst.

1/Start by washing and drying the car as normal.

Ideally, I would suggest a decontamination with an iron remover or clay bar, but that's up to you. If I was choosing one over the other, I would do the iron remover as it's a) quicker/easier and b) gentler on the paint and as a clay can introduce its own imperfections.

If you do decide to do the iron remover, do this as a presoak prior to the wash. Spray the whole car, allow to soak without drying for about 5+ minutes (you will see it change color/purple if you have iron contamination). Then rinse the chemical away and start your wash.
Adam's Iron Remover | Paint Decontamination For Industrial Fallout - Adam's Polishes (adamspolishes.com)

2/Hand polish. Work in sections, say panel by panel or by dividing the hood into 4 or 6 sections. You want a hand polishing pad (the Adam's ones are brilliant) and I would say about 4 towels, swapping to a clean towel as needed.
Adam's Polishes Revive Hand Polish | Fine Polish | Hand Polishing (adamspolishes.com)
Adam's Polishes Blue Hexgrip Applicator | Hand Polishing Pad (adamspolishes.com)
Adam's Borderless Green Lite Plush Towel - Adam's Polishes (adamspolishes.com)

3/With the car polished, you can then apply a wax or sealant. I would use the Adam's Slick & Slide I linked earlier. Super easy to apply, simply spray onto the panel, wipe with one towel to spread it out, then wipe with a second towel to a streak free finish. Ideally, you would wipe the car down with an IPA type product to remove any polish oils prior to application, helping to improve the bond, but I understand if you want to skip this step. Slick & Slide is so easy that reapplying at each wash or every couple of months is easy. Smells great too.
Adam's Slick & Slide - Adam's Polishes (adamspolishes.com)
Adam's Surface Prep | Ceramic Coating Prep with Isopropyl alcohol - Adam's Polishes (adamspolishes.com)
Adam's Borderless Gray Plush Towel | Microfiber Detailing Towel - Adam's Polishes (adamspolishes.com)

You would then just maintain this with washing and perhaps the application of the spray and rinse sealants like Gyeon Wet Coat or the Adam's Rinse + Coat once a month.

There is one catch with all this, I need to see pics of the results after you have finished! :camera::like:

OP
OP
PhillyMike

PhillyMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Sweet. Looks like I have a process. :like:
Might be a bit before I can get my kit together and set aside a full day to execute with the right weather conditions- will have to do this outside. Will post pics once I get to do this.

Sponsored

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
aren't you supposed to wash wheels/tires first from what I've seen

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK

Thanks.
As someone else with a black car, the advice I received from @DFB5.0 has helped me spend more money on quality products, along with keeping my M1 slick as glass. He is a true asset to this forum, and I appreciate his knowledge and willingness to help the community.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
aren't you supposed to wash wheels/tires first from what I've seen
I always wash my wheels and tires first. Keeps any potential dirty soap/water from the wheels and tires from getting on the clean paint

OP
OP
PhillyMike

PhillyMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
...And Adams has a 25% off offer, so cheaper than Amazon. Wheeeeee. Tons of stuff on the way.

Thanks for the recos DFB!

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
When I saw your initial purchase post I thought how nice black Mustangs look, especially with Red Interior. My next thought was how hard it is to keep a black car looking nice. There was only 1 color I would not buy when I started shopping around, black. Ironically that was the most stocked color. It’s a love/hate relationship.

DFB5.0 always has sound advice! With black I would possibly entertain the Adams Ceramic Spray Coating after you get the surface prepped.
Sponsored