Base GT test drive not impressive. What am I missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I have an ecoboost for a year. I have since sold off a few toys I didn't use much any more for plans to finally get a gt. The gap from the premium auto ecoboost to the GT is much then I hoped but I'm getting there. So today I test drove a base auto gt. Seems to be all stock. First part I drove in drive. Felt really pretty boring with really only a couple half throttle pushes. Then I did sport. It was better but still felt a bit less strong than my eco with a few half throttle runs. I gave a decent full throttle run which felt ok down low and nice pull at top that the eco does not have. I then drove with paddles and still torque wasnt that great at 2000 to 3000 then progressive better topend pull. It seemed geared high though. I only hit full throttle a couple times for a short period. I see dyno charts and the gt should have more torque at 2500 but charts are always full throttle. Does an eco have better pull at part throttle. Does a base gt have other issues that doesn't let it perform as good as a PP. Could the gearing just be that low. I'm just trying to see what I'm missing since I have been really looking forward to saving up for the gt. I have a premium test drive in a couple days and look forward to see how that one performs. Maybe going to try a manual too. FYI. Also text drove an 08 gt manual and man that felt slow. Maybe very high gearing.
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Need to drive one with a performance pack. I drove both GT's and found the non PP very underwhelming. Then again, I'm very familiar with 3.73's coming from a 2002 Camaro SS.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have an ecoboost for a year. I have since sold off a few toys I didn't use much any more for plans to finally get a gt. The gap from the premium auto ecoboost to the GT is much then I hoped but I'm getting there. So today I test drove a base auto gt. Seems to be all stock. First part I drove in drive. Felt really pretty boring with really only a couple half throttle pushes. Then I did sport. It was better but still felt a bit less strong than my eco with a few half throttle runs. I gave a decent full throttle run which felt ok down low and nice pull at top that the eco does not have. I then drove with paddles and still torque wasnt that great at 2000 to 3000 then progressive better topend pull. It seemed geared high though. I only hit full throttle a couple times for a short period. I see dyno charts and the gt should have more torque at 2500 but charts are always full throttle. Does an eco have better pull at part throttle. Does a base gt have other issues that doesn't let it perform as good as a PP. Could the gearing just be that low. I'm just trying to see what I'm missing since I have been really looking forward to saving up for the gt. I have a premium test drive in a couple days and look forward to see how that one performs. Maybe going to try a manual too. FYI. Also text drove an 08 gt manual and man that felt slow. Maybe very high gearing.
Need to drive a GT Perf Pack.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Your Eco has torque available at a low rpm. I was very impressed when I drove one with an automatic. If you do go with the PP GT, you will then notice a significant difference.

Frankly, I think the Eco with the 2018 10 speed automatic will be an awesome machine!

CVCashmere

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
I like mine with the performance package well enough.

Sponsored

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT DIB
I went from my '06 V6 to my '15 GT. To me at low ends, the car didn't feel that amazing, but once you hit higher RPMs, the car really starts to blow you away.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
I opted for 3.55 gears. Base GT's are meant to be modded to the gills. If you don't plan to do any mods, get the PP.

AEengnr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Most modern turbo 4's make a lot of boost down low, meaning it is much more useable in everyday driving and can even feel faster since boost builds quick and hits hard at low RPM.

Coming from turbo VW's over the past 4 years, I can say it is an entirely different feel but the mph climbs much quicker in the GT :)

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I then drove with paddles and still torque wasnt that great at 2000 to 3000 then progressive better topend pull.

. I see dyno charts and the gt should have more torque at 2500 but charts are always full throttle.

You need to rev the Motor to 4000- 6750. Thats where all the power is :headbang:

Thats what you missed :headbonk:

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I say keep your 4 banger if your not impressed. And save a bunch of money.:shrug:

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I opted for 3.55 gears. Base GT's are meant to be modded to the gills. If you don't plan to do any mods, get the PP.
X2

I felt the same way my first test drive in an auto. Then I drove a manual and everything changed.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Go for the GT350.

Status
Not open for further replies.