Back pain?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I enjoy my GT convertible and I thought I would be keeping it for a few years. However, I seem to be experiencing considerable sciatic nerve pain after driving it for more than about 1/2 hour. My car is a GT premium convertible with the heated and cooled leather power seats. Has anyone else experienced similar problems or have a solution?
Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Get thee to thine physician and beseech him for an MRI of thy lumbar spine.

OP
OP
Balr14

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Get thee to thine physician and beseech him for an MRI of thy lumbar spine.
Been there, done that, prognosis is poor. I wish I could figure out why it happens in some cars but not others. It might give me some clue how to deal with it.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Been there, done that, prognosis is poor. I wish I could figure out why it happens in some cars but not others. It might give me some clue how to deal with it.
Talk to a physical therapist. Exercise is key to sciatica. You may want them to watch you get in and out of the car and help set up your seat/wheel, etc. Maybe some lumbar support pillows might help. Definitely PT though.

Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
My experience is quite opposite. My back feels better in my car seat. I can drive for hours.

And yes, physical therapy works. A year ago I could barely hobble, now I can walk miles, all 6'1" and 290lbs of me.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Lift.

Lots of abs and back work, focusing on the lower back.

I had this issue for a year or so after hurting my back, a few years ago. Driving more than 30 minutes would result in screaming pain shooting down my leg. Absolutely excruciating, searing pain, I would have to pull over when it hit.

It's not the car or the seat, it's work you need to do.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Lift.

Lots of abs and back work, focusing on the lower back.

I had this issue for a year or so after hurting my back, a few years ago. Driving more than 30 minutes would result in screaming pain shooting down my leg. Absolutely excruciating, searing pain, I would have to pull over when it hit.

It's not the car or the seat, it's work you need to do.
The key for me is the angle of the seat back.i make sure the base of the seat is flat,then start altering back angle an inch at time till it feels better.if that works I'll tell you how I lock in that position since the back is not in memory.send pm if you get it comfy

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The key for me is the angle of the seat back.i make sure the base of the seat is flat,then start altering back angle an inch at time till it feels better.if that works I'll tell you how I lock in that position since the back is not in memory.send pm if you get it comfy
No need for me.

I spend my time in the gym making sure it's not a concern.

Best of luck!!!

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
Although I fortunately seem to do OK with the Mustang seats, I have a former coworker who had issues with many of the seats in his cars. In his case, it was the lower seat cushion that would press against a nerve in his leg that caused pain. I think the sciatica nerve goes down the leg, so possibly repositioning your leg, either by changing (as others have noted) the backrest position or with an additional pad behind your back or even under your leg may help. Cheaper than buying a new car.

Of course, being in good physical condition with a strong core (as others have mentioned) is important, but not everyone can or should be going to a gym and lifting weights. Not all of us are still 30.

And, unfortunately, going to a gym isn't a good idea these days. And have you tried to buy weights lately? Most stores are sold out. Even "play it again" has no inventory.

Sponsored

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I have the same issues. By end of summer I can barely walk. I get in the Sportage for the winter and the pain slowly goes away. By Spring, I'm in great shape. I think one major difference is the height of the seat from the floor. My knees are slightly above my hips in the Mustang, while even or below in the Sportage. Hiking the seat up in the Mustang works with the top down, not so much with it up.

OP
OP
Balr14

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm 77 and have severe deterioration in my spine due to arthritis... I've lost 4" in height. I do what I can with exercise and PT. It has kept me mobile, so I can't complain.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Sciatica is a bitch. On my good days it's 3/10 pain level. On my bad days I can't even put socks on.

Not much you can do about it besides exercise / physio like others have said.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm 77 and have severe deterioration in my spine due to arthritis... I've lost 4" in height. I do what I can with exercise and PT. It has kept me mobile, so I can't complain.
You should find out specifically what is causing the sciatica pain. A lot of times it is a bulging disc and so hunching your back in the way you would do when touching your toes is what makes the problem worse. In that case, one of the exercises is laying on your stomach and lifting your shoulders but not your hips. Basically stretching the stomach muscles and getting that disc to move towards center. You should know if this will help because it should feel good right away.

My assumption is pumping the lumbar support up all the way should help with this. However, like I said, key is finding out what exactly is happening.

I think a good physical therapist is your best bet.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Sorry to hear that - Have you tried Recaros? Also, maybe raising your seat and getting closer to the steering wheel to flex your knees might help. Sitting low with legs fully straightened out creates a "straight leg raise" that can aggravate radiculopathy.

That said, have you done the Pain Management/PT/Accupuncture/Weight Loss/antiinflammatory diet/everything short of surgery deal?
Sponsored