Sponsored

Seat position / alignment / back pain

JWC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 oxford white ecoboost 6 spd base
Hey guys,
Just wanted to ask what you've found to be the best way to adjust the seats for comfort.

I have the base cloth power seats. I'm about 5' 11" average build. I can't seem to adjust to a seating position without causing low back pain. If I raise the seat to a more chair like position it helps but my head hits the ceiling. Adjusting the seat back to upright helps initially but then feels like it should be reclined after a few minutes. I find that actually not using the lumbar helps, because if I scoot back all the way into the seat, the lumbar cushion actually inflates too low.

Lots of people say these seats are comfortable so I'm trying to figure out if the problem is the adjustment or me (ie need to stretch hamstrings, strengthen core muscles etc). Or is the seating position intended to be more of a reclined style ?

Please share your tips because this is really affecting an otherwise fun car!!

Thanks for your advice in advance..
Sponsored

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Hey guys,
Just wanted to ask what you've found to be the best way to adjust the seats for comfort.

I have the base cloth power seats. I'm about 5' 11" average build. I can't seem to adjust to a seating position without causing low back pain. If I raise the seat to a more chair like position it helps but my head hits the ceiling. Adjusting the seat back to upright helps initially but then feels like it should be reclined after a few minutes. I find that actually not using the lumbar helps, because if I scoot back all the way into the seat, the lumbar cushion actually inflates too low.

Lots of people say these seats are comfortable so I'm trying to figure out if the problem is the adjustment or me (ie need to stretch hamstrings, strengthen core muscles etc). Or is the seating position intended to be more of a reclined style ?

Please share your tips because this is really affecting an otherwise fun car!!

Thanks for your advice in advance..
do you have large legs? I do and it's difficult to find a comfortable position with most types of pants.

anyway:

seat all the way down
front all the way up
seat at a 110 degree angle relative to seat bottom

I've found this most comfortable.

reclining too far forces me to slouch and I don't understand how people drive like that.

PS do cloth seats have lumbar adjustment? I have leather.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
My low back kinda chronically hurts all the time, although the past year or so it's been pretty good. This is the first cat I've owned in many years that hasn't hurt a bit. I had a pad in my 05 sonata. I've had a towel behind me in my tacoma from day 1, my wife's acadia worked for me for about an hour before the pain started, and I can get about 2 pain free hours in her explorer currently, although the pain is more manageable in that vehicle. The real problem in the explorer is leg position. I don't know if it's seat position, height, distance, etc, but I can't stay comfortable unless my knees are fully extended. I'm only 6'0 and my legs aren't abnormally long, but they will start to throb eventually.

The mustang has been awesome in every way. I really expected the racing style seats to be a problem but I love them and everyone who has ridden with me said the same. I keep the seat about mid level height, and I have the back vertical enough that I can put my head on the rest and it's still comfortable to look out on the road normally. I tend to have a more vertical seat position than most people because of my back. But in my wife's explorer I don't adjust anything when she's been in it before me. Nothing helps anyway.

Guarded GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Guard GT 5.0 A6 base
Try a more reclined style. That helped my comfort on the cloth seats. (some back pain last year)
That's what I found to be the best on longer trips. Just be careful you don't fall asleep, lol.........

Sponsored

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Everyone is different, but I'm 5'11" as well and have chronic back pain so here is what I've found most comfortable:

Seat all the way down, front of the bottom cushion all the way up, reclined one or two notch past the point where most people probably have it. This may be feel weird at first but you'll quickly get used to it. I've found that being reclined a bit further back like that takes some of the pressure out of my back as opposed to being more upright. I'll even take it a notch further on longer drives. Just don't let your shoulders slouch and stay scooted all the way to the back of the seat.

I have no idea who decided where to put the lumbar support but I'd love to know what the hell they were thinking. I can't imagine it being high enough for anyone, it hits me at the top of my pelvis. If it were only 2-3" higher it would be perfect. Of course an up and down function would solve this but I guess that would be asking too much on a $40k+ car that still doesn't have power recline. :tsk:

Side note: I'd also love to meet the designer that decided where to place the recline lever. It's too far back, passengers can never find it, and the seat belt covers it so it's nearly impossible to adjust the seat while buckled and driving. :headbonk:

Guarded GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Guard GT 5.0 A6 base
I agree on the recline lever

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I've found that being reclined a bit further back like that takes some of the pressure out of my back as opposed to being more upright. I'll even take it a notch further on longer drives. Just don't let your shoulders slouch and stay scooted all the way to the back of the seat.
how do you prevent yourself from slouching?

I find my neck starts hurting then I notice I'm sitting like an asshole with my shoulders too far forward and my head slouched forward :/

Guarded GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Guard GT 5.0 A6 base
That's where the headrest and lumbar come into play for me. The wife says I look way to comfortable, lol. I guess that's why she always reads the newspaper when I drive....lol

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
crank the butt part of the seat all the way down, knees part as much up as you can. Pretty much like a racing seat. You cant really slouch in that position because you are being cupped in by the seat. Very comfortable.

Sponsored

Dawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT convertible
Trade it in for a ScatPac or Hellcat. I drive my Dodge way more than the Mustang. Much more comfortable interior, plus faster and sounds better. :)

OP
OP

JWC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 oxford white ecoboost 6 spd base
Thanks for all the advice guys. I will try the different suggestions in the thread. To answer one question, yes the cloth seats do have the lumbar support, but it seems to be placed too low in the seat.

RoadDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Try a clutch pedal extender.
It's really kinda amazing that it makes such a difference (maybe just me..)