Back pain?

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm 77 and have severe deterioration in my spine due to arthritis... I've lost 4" in height. I do what I can with exercise and PT. It has kept me mobile, so I can't complain.
Ah, shit...have you tried vertebroplasty?
Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I have a compressed disc, very low in the back, and it can cause sciatic pain. That being said, I find my 2019 GT is more comfortable on 4-6 hour road trips than my 2018 Accord, and I have not yet had any issues. I find the car very comfortable.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
I have a compressed disc, very low in the back, and it can cause sciatic pain. That being said, I find my 2019 GT is more comfortable on 4-6 hour road trips than my 2018 Accord, and I have not yet had any issues. I find the car very comfortable.
My magic measurement for my back is to have the seat flat and then put the seat back 5inches off verticall.i measure with a 3ft level and tape measure.measure at deepest part of seat back which should be about half way up.have 3 cars and they're all 5 in from vertical.one of my cars doesn't have memory seats,and if someone changes it,I get out level and take and put it back to 5 in.also only put 30lb in tires,it'll smooth out ride.and set the steering at comfy, not sport

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
I enjoy my GT convertible and I thought I would be keeping it for a few years. However, I seem to be experiencing considerable sciatic nerve pain after driving it for more than about 1/2 hour. My car is a GT premium convertible with the heated and cooled leather power seats. Has anyone else experienced similar problems or have a solution?
Recline the seat back a bit instead of up straight, it's better for your spine. and mess with the headrests to your most comfortable setting. Also make an appointment with a good chiropractor.

Doc2020GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP 2018 Explorer. 2012 Toyota Tacoma
I second the chiropractor, I always thought they were bogus but it’s helped immensely. One spine surgery was enough for me.

Sponsored

kodioneill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 GT Kona Blue
I had sciatica so bad my left calf shrunk in half and my left foot would go numb, went to a Dr. that did minimally invasive surgery and fixed me completely 8 years ago. Tiny scar 1 inch long no pain at all. Find a Dr that does this.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjLuunBtfTtAhUxm-AKHXzmBq4QFjAAegQIFxAC&url=https://www.aans.org/en/Patients/Neurosurgical-Conditions-and-Treatments/Minimally-Invasive-Spine-Surgery&usg=AOvVaw3N_DA1KBl5wpqzqJ-JDWVX

Bluret

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt mt 301A
Been an observant only so far because of my limited knowledge in cars, but i know back issues... ive had 2 herniated disks since 2003 and been managing them with exercise (physio mostly). I posted a few months ago about manual trans... anyway to make a long story short, i had ordered gt last year, but covid screwed everything up. Manager has been after me since and i mentioned my back issues to him who for that reason lent me his california edition to try. Everyone is different, but for me i have to crank up the seat as high as i can so my knees are lower than my hips which makes all the difference. My dd is f150 for that reason. My wifes dd is a camery and the seat can be adjusted very high which is great for me. I rented an accord sports a year ago....loved the car but wasnt sure i was gonna be able to get out. Hope this helps and like most allready mentionned, you will have to manage this yourself. Best of luck. Fyi, after the test run last fall, dealer ordered 2021 gt to my specs but havnt signed papers yet.

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
I keep my seat reclined all the way back. I had a L5/S1 fusion a year ago. It took almost a month after surgery before I could get in/out of the car without much pain and trouble. I sit more upright in my truck, but the car is more comfortable to me with it reclined back all the way.

OP
OP
Balr14

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have reclined the seat and raised it. It will be awhile before I know if that will help, as I only drive it about 1500 miles a year and very little when there is snow on the ground. I will repeat I have no back issues driving my old Saturn Vue SUV.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I enjoy my GT convertible and I thought I would be keeping it for a few years. However, I seem to be experiencing considerable sciatic nerve pain after driving it for more than about 1/2 hour. My car is a GT premium convertible with the heated and cooled leather power seats. Has anyone else experienced similar problems or have a solution?
I have similar problems, after about an hour my back begins to ache and hurt, regardless of the car I'm in. It doesn't matter if I am standing or sitting, if I don't move for an extended time my back hurts.

Really the only solution is to do a lot of stretches and exercise. My back was so bad at one point that it felt like my tailbone was detaching from my spine every time I stood up after sitting down. I was scared because the pain was getting progressively worse. I sought treatment did physical therapy. The exercises strengthened my back and eliminated the pain, it was the best my back has ever felt. It has been 2 years since then and I have been slacking on my back exercises which is why the back pain is returning slowly.

Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have pain but my back just gets a little wonky every once in awhile, to me the Stangs seats aren't the most comfortable things but I probably just need to adjust them better, lol.

TC

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
My magic measurement for my back is to have the seat flat and then put the seat back 5inches off verticall.i measure with a 3ft level and tape measure.measure at deepest part of seat back which should be about half way up.have 3 cars and they're all 5 in from vertical.one of my cars doesn't have memory seats,and if someone changes it,I get out level and take and put it back to 5 in.also only put 30lb in tires,it'll smooth out ride.and set the steering at comfy, not sport
Kind of funny to read because it takes me forever to get my seat set up the way I like it. I had that sideview mirrors clicking thing happen one morning out of the blue and the seat memory went bye-bye at the same time. I THINK I have it ok now but I may just take your advice and take measurements once I have the setup 100%.

Back to the OP, what's helped me immensely from lower back stiffness and minor pain is taking vitamin D3 (don't ask me how that helps) and as others have mentioned, strengthen that lower back. Some dead lifts with knees slightly bent is all you need. Start with body weight and then lift a barbell if you have one with some weights (doesn't have to be heavy - 3 sets of 12 reps is fine).

Another suggestion considering your Saturn is fine is take a pic of that seat from the side and see if you can fine-tune the Mustang's to be the same, including how far the front edge is off the floor.

Deleted member 35786

For me its the pressure on my butt/hip bone. I have yet to find a position that seems to work as I a 6ft, 175lbs. I bought a cushion from amazon, had to shave the foam a bit so it fits better between the side bolsters. It helps on long trips but it is still not a long term solution. Now our Honda Pilot is super comfy to sit in, then again those are flat and more upright seats with much more bottom cushion. The premium seats with the heating/cooling are just plain hard. The quest continues as I am debating to sell the car this year and move on.

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have reclined the seat and raised it. It will be awhile before I know if that will help, as I only drive it about 1500 miles a year and very little when there is snow on the ground. I will repeat I have no back issues driving my old Saturn Vue SUV.
I have experienced the same in my 2019. It sounds like we may have similar lower back issues (I have deteriorating osteoarthritis, disc degradation, and spondylosis). The only thing that has helped has been raising the seat and slightly more recline as you mentioned you will try. The seat's lumbar doesn't quite have enough to help when maxed out so when I drive it on a bad day, I will use a pad in addition to the above seat position with heat on. I hope you can find a position that doesn't cause you so much pain.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm 77 and have severe deterioration in my spine due to arthritis... I've lost 4" in height. I do what I can with exercise and PT. It has kept me mobile, so I can't complain.
That's terrible, sorry to hear.
It sounds like it's a combination of the Mustang seat itself and your medical condition. Good luck!
Sponsored