Sponsored

New Owner - Leather Seat Lower Back Pain Question

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I find the seats amazingly comfortable but I'm lean and 5'9" with good core strength.

Every car I've ever owned though has people that have has issues with the seats. We come in many shapes and sizes.
Sponsored

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Not sure what seats you have, but the angle of the seat base is adjustable on mine. If the lumbar is too high, you should probably get a little pillow to sit on. Try it for a while, if you like it, have an upholsterer add cushion to the seat.
That was going to be my next thing Hack. Mine tilts up/down also. Rip, have you tried that?

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I found the stock cloth GT seats to have too much lumbar support even when using none. But I noticed the same thing when I had my '14 Fiesta SE. But after a few months, my body adjusted and they felt fine. You may just need to adjust.

Dalas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT track
I've had issues with my stock base GT seats for awhile. I've owned the car for about 10 months. I've been trying out seats at local meets and finally pulled the trigger on a set of Corbeau Trailcats. They look like the Recaro's on a PP but without the aggressive bolstering. I should have them installed this weekend. I hope to have good longterm reviews on them. If not, I'm either getting a daily or trading it in for something more versatile and comfortable.
do you have any pictures if already installed?

spacemarine83

2017 Grabber Blue GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT w/6spd
WHen installing a set of Tailcat seats, what happens to the airbag plug in and all that? Will the car function? I am finding my seats to be crap and would like to switch but do not want to pay $2800 for the Recaros. Also, can they be set up to work with the Ford seat heater that is in the car?

Sponsored

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
When you adjust the lumbar support, do you feel the support actually move? I ask because I have 3 herniated discs in my back and I find the seats in the Mustang the most comfortable seats I ever had in a car. Sometimes when my back starts acting up, I actually take the car out for a drive with the heated seats on high and along with the lumbar support it actually eases my pain.

Make sure that you have the seat adjusted so that your legs comfortably reach the pedals so that you don't get the under leg strain too. Good luck man, I feel your pain.
I have a compression fracture in my spine and find my Mustang seats the most comfortable too!

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
I owned a 2016 coupe with the Premium Leather interior. I could never get comfortable in them and had back soreness after long trips over 1 hour. To me the premium leather seats seemed too soft (like a plus leather sofa) and the lower back support just was not there, even with the electronic lumbar support- which always felt awkward.
I traded mine in for a 2017 vert with the california special package which comes with the leather trim but alcantara cloth inserts. The seats feel very firm and I have no issues now.
I suffer from back issues, can get very sore, but like above have the CS package, and the seats are fine, can drive for hours on end, in traffic, living on the brakes, and not have any issues. love the CS seats

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
I've had the exact same issue with back-seat pain.

I ended up purchasing a seat cushion which made the pain disappear. Best $50 investment ever.
What seat cushion did you buy?

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
I have a low back pain issue also. I have a 2019 GT Premium w/ leather seat. I learned to sit a bit closer forward and seat back not leaned backwards to resemble a straight up dining chair, sort of. Sitting like this I can feel a good lumbar support, when sitting up properly.

My most back friendly vehicle is my Jeep Wrangler because the seat is high giving more of a normal sitting position than low riding vehicle like Mustang where legs are laid lower rather than like dinning chair.

Keep trying different seat forward-backward positions and seat back position until you find the right spot friendly to your back.

Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
I get back pain on every new car I get.i can rent a car and I'm fine.drove a 65 gto,no pain.what I do is sit in another car you own and try and duplicate the feel in the new seats.then I just take shirt trips for couple weeks,or months.finally last week the seats in my new gt are comfy.i have memory seats,except for back rest.forget about going to Dr,if you can drive another car,you'll get used to them.64% of orthopedic surgeries fail,so don't go down that rathole.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Seat adjustment will probably fix most things - most people get this wrong and try to sit too upright putting all the strain through the lower back.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
I set my back 6 inches off vertical using a level.just stand up a long level and get the horizontal bubble level,measure distance to seat back,and adjust it,I measure from where the level bubble is to the seat back.this way it someone moves the back I can reset it easily.so whenever you get the adjusted,and you will,if you take that measurement,you can get it back to wherebyou want it should have said if another car seat us comfy,do the seat back measurement on that car.whatever it is,set your new seat lram back the same. On the Gt

Last edited:

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Pretty sure some folks with back issues will experience back pain in a Mustang, just by getting in and out. Certainly much different in and out experience than a Focus. I am very agile, but being 6 foot 2 200 lbs still causes me to contort my body getting in or out. I have no back issues thankfully....I feel bad for you guys that do as it must take a bit of the fun out of owning a Mustang.
Sponsored