Sponsored

Back looking for a Mustang

Derkluge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang Hybrid
Also consider holding out for a 2020. Looks like there will be another 2.3T-based powertrain option.

My money is on it being a mild hybrid version - a meaningful upgrade from the plain EcoBoost, particularly with more low-end torque, but not as fast as the V8.
Sponsored

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I think you really need to drive a few and get that feel also. You sound to be a bit of old school muscle car guy like I am. The new coyotes are not old school power. This motor needs to be run at high rpms (over 4000) to really feel its potential. I was expecting the old school v8 grunt from the past and was disappointed with the torque bone stock. Personally I am going to be looking for a 15-17 gt to mod one day. Possibly less concerns with those years. But if you mentally don't have a problem having or telling someone you have a 4cyl turbo mustang, it really is a great car. I do have a very early build 15 car and also mine does seem to run a bit better then the newer versions. 5.3 0-60 with wheel spin. Such good roll on torque.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Thanks for that info. I've long held the suspicion that, while slower, the EBs actually feel faster. I'd bet with minor mods they feel very lively.
I thought that too, then I drove my buddies 18 gt, that top end is amazing. That being said there is nothing wrong with an ecoboost I love my car. Very fun and sporty. Is it the fastest, no, but it does very well at being a balanced car. Plus it doesn't take much to wake the motor up.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I thought that too, then I drove my buddies 18 gt, that top end is amazing. That being said there is nothing wrong with an ecoboost I love my car. Very fun and sporty. Is it the fastest, no, but it does very well at being a balanced car. Plus it doesn't take much to wake the motor up.
Coyotes do not feel that fast, because they're a N/A, small displacement, high-revving V8s. You have to beat on them and rev the nuts off them to feel the power. They have a pretty flat torque/power curve.

With the EBs, you don't have to rev the nuts off them to have a little fun. They're much slower, but the engine's torque curve is more fun during pedestrian driving.

I've had a few passengers mention my car doesn't feel that fast, and they're surprised to hear it has 460HP/420TQ.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Coyotes do not feel that fast, because they're a N/A, small displacement, high-revving V8s. You have to beat on them and rev the nuts off them to feel the power. They have a pretty flat torque/power curve.

With the EBs, you don't have to rev the nuts off them to have a little fun. They're much slower, but the engine's torque curve is more fun during pedestrian driving.

I've had a few passengers mention my car doesn't feel that fast, and they're surprised to hear it has 460HP/420TQ.
Granted I agree my car feels fast for stock especially when the temps are in the 50's. And yes below 4k the GT was a little underwelming but above 4k holy f*ck is it quick. Maybe you spend too much time in the lower rpms lol

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Granted I agree my car feels fast for stock especially when the temps are in the 50's. And yes below 4k the GT was a little underwelming but above 4k holy f*ck is it quick. Maybe you spend too much time in the lower rpms lol
I do. Driving in D.C./NoVa traffic. It's The Suck.

Makes you appreciate the little moments you can wind it out, though.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
If you read my post you quoted, then re-read your reply to it, for comprehension........well, then, you'll see where the stupidity lies. In fact it looks like you thought you were replying to the OP, your reply is so odd. You wrote "you'll buy a 5.0", when I already own one. I had posted that an EB "feels faster", while stating and knowing full-well a GT actually is faster, and yet you blathered on and on about how a GT is actually faster.

And that is why, when someone is asking a question or discussing something to/with another specific member, don't jump in.
You must be a joy at parties. I didn't discuss that the GT is actually faster one single time in that post - why would I? Everyone knows the GT is much quicker. Sounds like you're the one that needs to take a breath and re-read my post as you said it...for comprehension. My point was that the Ecoboost does not feel faster than a Gen 3 Coyote 5.0. I discussed the fact that the GT has much more torque to provide evidence that the Ecoboost could not possibly feel faster due to that extra torque from the 5.0. Whether you were or were not the original poster is irrelevant to the point. And when using a phone to write in these forums, no details are shown about the type of car, # of posts, etc., so I could not have known, even if I cared, that you had a 5.0.

And, I'll jump in whenever I want.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....My point was that the Ecoboost does not feel faster than a Gen 3 Coyote 5.0. I discussed the fact that the GT has much more torque to provide evidence that the Ecoboost could not possibly feel faster due to that extra torque from the 5.0.....
You're not getting the point. Coyotes have flat torque curves, and don't wake up until about 4K RPM. EBs produce their torque at much lower RPMs, with a much peakier torque curve. During normal driving, an EB feels faster.

This is subjective, and 100% fact for me. I've driven both.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Actually the ecoboost under normal everyday driving conditions is actually quicker then the GT. Flat to the floor with both cars at most any RPM and the GT is faster though. I've driven both on the same roads and checked my speeds and I needed a lot more throttle to get the same speed in the GT. The ecoboost pumps a lot of boost during light throttle conditions which creates sometimes almost as much torque and HP as going full throttle. But that also give the underwhelming sensation when your cruising at half throttle and mash it and it really doesn't take off much harder. This is the fun that a FI motor can bring if that's what your into. I assume a tune on the GT with help wake up the power more during daily driving conditions. Even if the tune maps the throttle more aggressive. I just wasn't willing to throw the warranty out the window on a $35000 plus car at the time of the ecoboost purchase.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Love my 18 GT absolutely no regrets even with all the shit said on this site. I much prefer the looks and improvements in the 18 and 19 models.

Sponsored
OP
OP

JIMJC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JIM
Vehicle(s)
SILVER
I think you really need to drive a few and get that feel also. You sound to be a bit of old school muscle car guy like I am. The new coyotes are not old school power. This motor needs to be run at high rpms (over 4000) to really feel its potential. I was expecting the old school v8 grunt from the past and was disappointed with the torque bone stock. Personally I am going to be looking for a 15-17 gt to mod one day. Possibly less concerns with those years. But if you mentally don't have a problem having or telling someone you have a 4cyl turbo mustang, it really is a great car. I do have a very early build 15 car and also mine does seem to run a bit better then the newer versions. 5.3 0-60 with wheel spin. Such good roll on torque.
Ya I have a lot of experience with older big hp. cars and then got out of them and went to more sophisticated cars mostly European some Japanese. When you take a BMW M5 and put it through a coarse you start realizing that there's a lot more out there than 1/4 mi times. but I'd still love to have my 70 LS6 Chevelle back but now their $75.000 for a good one, that's not for me. I don't have to have the fastest car but 400hp in a not to heavy car would easily work. YA it would be nice to have 400hp at the wheels at 2400rpm I don't think that's in the books any more without a lot of modding

I just saw a video from a guy that had a mazda miata and dropped a chevy ls engine in at about 550+hp, now that would move your heart beat. but it's to late for me to screw with that. Ya I betting that the Mustang 4 turbo might work with a few upgrades and I understand there's a lot more upgrades for the 4 than the 6 cyl.

Does your 15 have a lighter front end feel driving because of the 4cyl and less weight?

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I never got to really run the Gt's hard thru the turns but my EcoBoost certainly did feel more responsive and lighter up front. I do have steeda lower springs and Ford performance shocks and struts with 20" wheels .which helped A LOT from the base suspension. My previous car was a stage 2 APR tuned Audi TTS and I really am very happy with this EcoBoost handling compared to that. And even the power under normal driving is comparable to that. BUT that thing was a rocket when hammered. I got very concerned about long term costs and traded for a CPO EcoBoost. I honestly don't miss the Audi.

I then liked the EcoBoost so much I decided to sell off a couple motorcycles and get a GT. I then took a few GTs for rides and was really underwhelmed with the daily driving torque after having turbos. I just couldn't bring myself to give my EcoBoost and 10000 for a GT. I didn't want to void warranty but I'm sure a tune would make me pretty content with the Gt. A tuned EcoBoost can put down crazy torque too without a terrible topend. Need to watch out for the Ecoboom then though. Taking GT to redline is better then any car I've ever owned but just not very practical in my area much. I ended up picking up an 05 modded GT for 10000 and have fun with that instead. I look forward to hearing your thoughts after a few test drives.

OP
OP

JIMJC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JIM
Vehicle(s)
SILVER
I had an earlier V6 and thought it was enough engine for anyone but a speed freak, so to speak. All the while I had it, I wondered if I should have chosen the V8. Next five Mustang cars were all V8s, very wasteful in a sense, but surely relieved me of the "Shoulda Wouda Coulda" tension that might underly any other choice. I do miss the musical V6 sound, but not enough to switch back.

Whichever you choose, if you don't like it, the others are still there for next time.

WRT 60s sports cars not riding well: they weren't much worse—if at all—than the lowered, low-profile tired, and stiff-shocked cars most Mustangers end up with (no matter what they say). Been there, done that in both the 60s and the aught 10s.
If you're going to 20 in wheels and 30 series tires in some cars like the Mustang yes they ride rough but many of the 60 cars were buckets of bolts, squeaks and rattles everywhere, When I had the Camaros I used to say it's like I threw a bucket of screws and bolts in the metal trunk. Today many of the european cars have 20 tires and 30 series tires and the ride quite well, they don't ride like a Lexus LS but good. My old Corvettes had many squeaks and rattles other than my 2002 convert.
I never got to really run the Gt's hard thru the turns but my EcoBoost certainly did feel more responsive and lighter up front. I do have steeda lower springs and Ford performance shocks and struts with 20" wheels .which helped A LOT from the base suspension. My previous car was a stage 2 APR tuned Audi TTS and I really am very happy with this EcoBoost handling compared to that. And even the power under normal driving is comparable to that. BUT that thing was a rocket when hammered. I got very concerned about long term costs and traded for a CPO EcoBoost. I honestly don't miss the Audi.

I then liked the EcoBoost so much I decided to sell off a couple motorcycles and get a GT. I then took a few GTs for rides and was really underwhelmed with the daily driving torque after having turbos. I just couldn't bring myself to give my EcoBoost and 10000 for a GT. I didn't want to void warranty but I'm sure a tune would make me pretty content with the Gt. A tuned EcoBoost can put down crazy torque too without a terrible topend. Need to watch out for the Ecoboom then though. Taking GT to redline is better then any car I've ever owned but just not very practical in my area much. I ended up picking up an 05 modded GT for 10000 and have fun with that instead. I look forward to hearing your thoughts after a few test drives.
Well you did the right thing getting rid of the TT, it's a good looking fun car but when you start putting many miles on most any european cars it can cost $$$ you better not get out of warranty on any of them. My new mercedes SL500 was a great car that fit perfectly but silly me I sold it to go into a big Lexus LS, this car was the best car ever, but I missed the SL, if fact I still do.

My problem is I don't have any experience with turbos, Decades ago Chrysler had many cars with turbos, they have a lot of experience with them, they had tons and tons of problems with them for sure. I had a number of people say that turbos now are much better, I'm sure they are so I may have to get rid of my naturally aspired engines are best mind set.
I hate car problems but this Mustang will not be my go to car, it's going to be a fun car. Actually I've always loved my vettes and I probably should buy another but I don't like riding that low in a car any more.

From all I've been reading the turbo4 is something that fits with power closer to where I like it to be so I'm going to get out and drive some and see. Thanks Jim

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
The sports cars of the 60's didn't ride very well and the suspension wasn't very good and I didn't like them a lot but that was then. So now since everything has changed I'm in the market for a 3rd car to drive for fun and to fix up like I used to do. My intrest is in the 2015+ Mustang. I was thinking about the GT but I just finished a thread here about some V8 engines rattling etc.etc problems. That has turned me off on a V8 unless there's some years that have not had these problems, the question is are there years from 2015 up that don't have those problems, did it start in 2015?

I don't have to have the fastest car around so I'm now thinking V6 but found Ford isn't offering a V6 after 17, so
is the turbo 4 cyl. a disappointment?. I know 4 cyl. are much better than they used to be and I read Ford will be adding another turbo 4 cyl. My intentions is to buy a low miles 15/16/17. Anyway you guys that have 4 cyl. or 6 cyl. what do you think. Thanks Jim
Everyone loves to get off track on these type of posts. I have a 16 GT and have had zero issues with it. Nothing but oil changes. I do have a few mods and whatnot but haven’t messed with the power train and no tunes. Plenty fast and powerful for me. My previous was a 2013 V6 premium. Great car never had any issues either. Just wanted the V8 grunt. If you’re looking at V6s go used. In my area they are running $16-20k. Even have some verts in that range. Can’t go wrong with that. Never even drove an EB but I’d trust the tried and true 3.7 over it but that’s just biased opinion with no actual facts or data behind it. But for me used is the way to go on mustang. Ridiculous new stock prices and hard depreciation hits after a year or two.

Kirgiz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrzej
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
You're not getting the point. Coyotes have flat torque curves, and don't wake up until about 4K RPM. EBs produce their torque at much lower RPMs, with a much peakier torque curve. During normal driving, an EB feels faster.

This is subjective, and 100% fact for me. I've driven both.
Not true. Easy to check - tons of charts on internet. GT produces 350 ft lb at 3k. EB torque is starting lower - but only about 500 RPMs and is still lower than GTs.
Sponsored