Back looking for a Mustang

JIMJC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JIM
Vehicle(s)
SILVER
The sports cars of the 60's didn't ride very well and the suspension wasn't very good and I didn't like them a lot but that was then. So now since everything has changed I'm in the market for a 3rd car to drive for fun and to fix up like I used to do. My intrest is in the 2015+ Mustang. I was thinking about the GT but I just finished a thread here about some V8 engines rattling etc.etc problems. That has turned me off on a V8 unless there's some years that have not had these problems, the question is are there years from 2015 up that don't have those problems, did it start in 2015?

I don't have to have the fastest car around so I'm now thinking V6 but found Ford isn't offering a V6 after 17, so
is the turbo 4 cyl. a disappointment?. I know 4 cyl. are much better than they used to be and I read Ford will be adding another turbo 4 cyl. My intentions is to buy a low miles 15/16/17. Anyway you guys that have 4 cyl. or 6 cyl. what do you think. Thanks Jim
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
You would have about a 98.6% chance of your GT's Coyote engine being just fine. Buy a car with a warranty, and don't worry about it.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Show me a vehicle on the internet that doesn't have some dumbasses acting like a few issues are an epidemic. I wouldn't even consider a Mustang without a V8. NEVER. It's not about HP/Torque as much as the experience and soul of a V8. Anyone can have a manufacturing issue. People want their stuff built with max technology in a weekend but if there is a QC issue, they throw a tantrum. It's not a Lego toy, it's a highly sophisticated machine. It's what the company does when you actually have a real problem that matters. Most people claiming noise don't know WTH a noisy engine is. They should have driven the POS cars of the 70's and 80's. If you don't need power why even look at the Mustang? If you drove cars from the 60's and are concerned about ride quality primarily, you're probably beyond performance car years and looking for a gold Buick or similar. There's enough left lane speed keepers in Corvettes, Camaros and Mustangs already for my liking. Good luck in your search Jim, but I really think your barking up the wrong tree. A luxury sedan or Honda sounds more your style at this point.

RugbyRef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
You would have about a 98.6% chance of your GT's Coyote engine being just fine. Buy a car with a warranty, and don't worry about it.
This^^^!

I have had multiple Mustangs (all V8's...with the exception of the Mustang II...yuck!) over the years and not once have I had a problem such as some of the folks that occasionally post here and on other forums. Take the plunge Jim...you won't regret it.

huachucastang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium 6MT PP
Ive had both. Both were manual PPs premiums. Much prefer the Ecoboost with a tune. Like the low end torque.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Ive had both. Both were manual PPs premiums. Much prefer the Ecoboost with a tune. Like the low end torque.
Thanks for that info. I've long held the suspicion that, while slower, the EBs actually feel faster. I'd bet with minor mods they feel very lively.

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Can’t believe nobody has mentioned to you that the ticking and knocking rumors/internet troubles really got bad with the 18/19 years. The 15-17 engines didn’t get this bad rap.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Buy a low miles 2017 GT.

The 15-17s don't have the problems that the 18+ have.

Last edited:

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I love my EcoBoost run only 93 octane and have fun. Believe me the turbo 4 will run plenty fast enough to get you a speeding ticket.

Ronin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTP Stage 1
You did not mention budget, but I got a 16 GT P with 8500 miles and am very happy with it. No ticks, tocks, BBQ sounds etc. Great interior (blk and ceramic) I goofed and thought it had Nav but that's my fault. They are out there. Good luck in your choice..

Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I know a GT would be more fun, but I bought a used V6 mainly because of how cheap it was to buy and operate. I ring up quite a few miles on my daily commute. It's still an enjoyable car. The Cyclone is not the dog V6 of pre-2011 Mustangs. The S550 handles well and has a level of refinement that can be appreciated no matter which engine is under the hood. The main advantages of the ecoboost over the V6 are availability of premium options (V6 is base only), and more easily getting more hp via mods. The advantages of the V6 are better sound and perhaps better reliability.

However, if I was buying a "3rd car for fun" instead of a commuter, I would get the GT. The "tick" issue seems to be mainly about the 18+ so if that's a concern I agree with looking for a 15-17 GT.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I love my EcoBoost run only 93 octane and have fun. Believe me the turbo 4 will run plenty fast enough to get you a speeding ticket.
I hear with a tune the Ecoboost is a real fun and quick car. I have a V8 and I love it but 95% of the time I am just lugging along in traffic and keep thinking how I am wasting gas all this time while I could be romping on this thing! Its so easy to get to 100MPH and possibly ending up in jail (I live in Virginia so the laws are really harsh). I wouldnt mind buying a second Mustang with an Ecoboost for daily. These cars are fun.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Thanks for that info. I've long held the suspicion that, while slower, the EBs actually feel faster. I'd bet with minor mods they feel very lively.
Ha, nope. Go drive an 18/19 GT with A10 and then tell me an ecoboost might "feel" faster. My car is bone stock and slams you back into the seat with force. The ecoboost may feel torquey, by nature of the small displacement / turbo combo, but the 2018 Gen 3 5.0 has 100+ lb ft more peak torque and over a much broader band than the 15-17 ecoboost (and 70 lb-ft more than the 18+ ecoboost). The 5.0 peak just occurs at a higher rpm than the ecoboost. Also, the 5.0 makes as much or more torque than the ecoboost at any rpm-it's just a smoother more gradual change so it's less dramatic at low rpms. Turbo 4-cylinder cars feel torquey because they have very little torque before the turbos kick in, so once the turbo provides boost, it feels like a different animal. Test drive them both and then decide. I think you'll choose the 5.0.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
GT all the way :rockon:

I'm to mentally shallow to drive anything but a V8 in these cars.

Even my truck has a V8 and my Harley has a Stage IV Motor upgrade.

It's how I roll :sunglasses:
Sponsored