www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
The sports cars of the 60's didn't ride very well
[...]
I don't have to have the fastest car around so I'm now thinking V6 but found Ford isn't offering a V6 after 17, so
is the turbo 4 cyl. a disappointment?. I know 4 cyl. are much better than they used to be and I read Ford will be adding another turbo 4 cyl. My intentions is to buy a low miles 15/16/17. Anyway you guys that have 4 cyl. or 6 cyl. what do you think. Thanks Jim
I had an earlier V6 and thought it was enough engine for anyone but a speed freak, so to speak. All the while I had it, I wondered if I should have chosen the V8. Next five Mustang cars were all V8s, very wasteful in a sense, but surely relieved me of the "Shoulda Wouda Coulda" tension that might underly any other choice. I do miss the musical V6 sound, but not enough to switch back.

Whichever you choose, if you don't like it, the others are still there for next time.

WRT 60s sports cars not riding well: they weren't much worse—if at all—than the lowered, low-profile tired, and stiff-shocked cars most Mustangers end up with (no matter what they say). Been there, done that in both the 60s and the aught 10s.
Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Unfortunately with forums like these you have about 50/50 good information/disinformation. Do not let the Boobtubers and chronically anal/drama people posting countless tick/rattle threads push you away from a s550 with a v8.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Buy whatever you can afford. If you can get a new GT, that's absolutely what you should do. If you actually let those threads made by overly paranoid owners scare you from a V8 Mustang, I truly feel bad for you.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I hear with a tune the Ecoboost is a real fun and quick car. I have a V8 and I love it but 95% of the time I am just lugging along in traffic and keep thinking how I am wasting gas all this time while I could be romping on this thing! Its so easy to get to 100MPH and possibly ending up in jail (I live in Virginia so the laws are really harsh). I wouldnt mind buying a second Mustang with an Ecoboost for daily. These cars are fun.
I followed a GTR down the interstate at a 115mph and she still had more.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I wouldn't even consider a Mustang w/out a V8. NEVER!!! It's not about HP/Torque as much as the experience & soul of a V8.
Hallelujah, Brother Zeus!!! Sing it like is from the roof tops!!! :handsinair::handsinair::handsinair::handsinair::handsinair:

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
V8 baby!! And nothing else...well, unless they come up with a 3.5L EB with AWD and an aluminum body... But I digress.

Remember those old commercials....zooom, zooom?

Well, I prefer...ROARRR!!!

besides, if you get a V8 that tends to tick a bit, just toss in a bottle of Ceratec, and call it good.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
The 2015 is a 50th anniversary year and the engines from 2015-2017 are solid .The 6R80 is bullet proof. The manual trans is not great according to some.

The 2015-2017 have faulty AC Evaporators so make sure it has been replaced .Mine was done last year and my cousins 2017 GT350 was replaced as well.

The 2015 Valencia Ecoboost appears to have a different factory tune than 2016-2017 Cleveland. 0-60 times for a 2015 Turbos are 5.2-5.6 while 2016-2017 Cleveland Turbos exceed 6 seconds. If you go with an Ecoboost make sure it has never been modified and get a 2015 with the PP.

I have a 2014/2015 Turbo with NO mods and going on 4 years without a single.mechanical powertrain issue. With 93 octane the car pulls hard and with the PP the handling is excellent. When test driving an Ecoboost from a dealership keep in mind the octane is probably 87 so the car will be light about 50hp so you won't be impressed until you get 93 in the tank.

The 2015-2017 V6/GT appears to be a solid but I don't have one so I can't comment.

I wouldn't trade my 2015 Turbo for any other year.

2015 has sync2 vs sync3 for 2016+, with Premiun. I like the sync2 because it is a windows based OS with quadrants and customizable display like a computer.

2015 has a 50th anniversary package option.

2015 is the only year for gaurd metallic paint.

Get a low mileage 2015 Premiun GT or EB/PP with a Shaker pro audio system.

Check out this super rare 2015 EB Premiun, PP, manual with ceramic seats and gaurd metallic paint.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=500915974&zip=29710&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=29710&extColorsSimple=GREEN&startYear=2015&incremental=all&endYear=2015&modelCodeList=MUST&makeCodeList=FORD&listingTypes=USED&sortBy=relevance&maxPrice=35000&firstRecord=0&marketExtension=on&searchRadius=200&listingTypes=USED&startYear=2015&numRecords=25&maxPrice=35000&firstRecord=0&endYear=2015&modelCodeList=MUST&makeCodeList=FORD&searchRadius=200&makeCode1=FORD&modelCode1=MUST&clickType=listing

Last edited:
OP
OP

JIMJC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JIM
Vehicle(s)
SILVER
Show me a vehicle on the internet that doesn't have some dumbasses acting like a few issues are an epidemic. I wouldn't even consider a Mustang without a V8. NEVER. It's not about HP/Torque as much as the experience and soul of a V8. Anyone can have a manufacturing issue. People want their stuff built with max technology in a weekend but if there is a QC issue, they throw a tantrum. It's not a Lego toy, it's a highly sophisticated machine. It's what the company does when you actually have a real problem that matters. Most people claiming noise don't know WTH a noisy engine is. They should have driven the POS cars of the 70's and 80's. If you don't need power why even look at the Mustang? If you drove cars from the 60's and are concerned about ride quality primarily, you're probably beyond performance car years and looking for a gold Buick or similar. There's enough left lane speed keepers in Corvettes, Camaros and Mustangs already for my liking. Good luck in your search Jim, but I really think your barking up the wrong tree. A luxury sedan or Honda sounds more your style at this point.

Show me a vehicle on the internet that doesn't have some dumbasses acting like a few issues are an epidemic. I wouldn't even consider a Mustang without a V8. NEVER. It's not about HP/Torque as much as the experience and soul of a V8. Anyone can have a manufacturing issue. People want their stuff built with max technology in a weekend but if there is a QC issue, they throw a tantrum. It's not a Lego toy, it's a highly sophisticated machine. It's what the company does when you actually have a real problem that matters. Most people claiming noise don't know WTH a noisy engine is. They should have driven the POS cars of the 70's and 80's. If you don't need power why even look at the Mustang? If you drove cars from the 60's and are concerned about ride quality primarily, you're probably beyond performance car years and looking for a gold Buick or similar. There's enough left lane speed keepers in Corvettes, Camaros and Mustangs already for my liking. Good luck in your search Jim, but I really think your barking up the wrong tree. A luxury sedan or Honda sounds more your style at this point.
Maybe you didn't remember that the Mustang was to be my 3 rd car I have a new Avalon, almost new RX350. I ve had some of the hottest cars of the late 60's 70 Chevelle LS 6, 3 Camaros 396 375hp. and 3 Corvettes 68 427 425hp plus most of the go fast cars GTO etc etc. Most all the cars for decades were V8 's...But the V8 will die sooner or later. The go fast cars of the 60 were fast but didn't handle for s--- of coarse my vettes did handle very good but a relatively rough ride... In decades past I've owned 4 mercedes one SL500 + E class and S Class. 3 Lexus LS 460. 3 BMW's 5 series V8's...In fact I owned over 70 new cars for myself and my wife.

I just decided to buy a Mustang convertible to fool around with, I like the way it looks. Ive been out of domestic cars for a long time except for my last new Corvette 2002 convertable.

When it comes to V8's I know V8's If I really wanted to go fast I wouldn't buy a Mustang there are better choices but I like the looks of the new Mustang.

Your being a bit smart saying I need a Honda that a childiest point you really didn't need to make, you obviously don't know me...and your reply has nothing to do with my post but that's what the internet is huh

OP
OP

JIMJC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JIM
Vehicle(s)
SILVER
Can’t believe nobody has mentioned to you that the ticking and knocking rumors/internet troubles really got bad with the 18/19 years. The 15-17 engines didn’t get this bad rap.

That's what I was getting at so the 16/17 didn't have the problems. thanks

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Maybe you didn't remember that the Mustang was to be my 3 rd car I have a new Avalon, almost new RX350. I ve had some of the hottest cars of the late 60's 70 Chevelle LS 6, 3 Camaros 396 375hp. and 3 Corvettes 68 427 425hp plus most of the go fast cars GTO etc etc. Most all the cars for decades were V8 's...But the V8 will die sooner or later. The go fast cars of the 60 were fast but didn't handle for s--- of coarse my vettes did handle very good but a relatively rough ride... In decades past I've owned 4 mercedes one SL500 + E class and S Class. 3 Lexus LS 460. 3 BMW's 5 series V8's...In fact I owned over 70 new cars for myself and my wife.

I just decided to buy a Mustang convertible to fool around with, I like the way it looks. Ive been out of domestic cars for a long time except for my last new Corvette 2002 convertable.

When it comes to V8's I know V8's If I really wanted to go fast I wouldn't buy a Mustang there are better choices but I like the looks of the new Mustang.

Your being a bit smart saying I need a Honda that a childiest point you really didn't need to make, you obviously don't know me...and your reply has nothing to do with my post but that's what the internet is huh

When you read the words "soul" and "V8" in a post you know you are dealing with a poser.

If you are looking for a convertible:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...eList=FORD&searchRadius=0&clickType=spotlight

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10

For the money, what's a better "go fast" car than an '18 GT A10 PP1? They are capable of running 0-60 in 3.8-3.9 seconds, and 11.8-11.9 seconds @ 119-120 mph in the 1/4 mile (the 10-speed auto combined with the 3.55 Torsen rear-end keeps the torque going to the wheels in strides) bone stock. Those old big block factory V8s of the 60s couldn't touch that e.t. or trap speed.

The '18 Camaro SS comes close, but is a few ticks slower in both e.t. and trap speed and isn't nearly as good looking a car, IMO (this coming from a former Camaro/Chevy guy). To go faster than the A10 GT you have to step up to forced induction: 13/14 GT500 (or 2020)/6th gen Camaro ZL1/Hellcat/Corvette Z06/ZR1, etc.

That said, the current 5.0 makes over 460 net hp (which is over 530 hp based on gross 1960s crank hp ratings), and gets 25 mpg on the hwy! Amazing how far technology has brought us. Gobs of hp in a civilized, easy daily driver.

If this Mustang is to be your 3rd car, why not get something that will feel special to drive? The Gen 3 Coyote is an amazing engine, and combined with the A10 something pretty fierce for a factory car that doesn't cost $75k. Since it's your 3rd car, I'd serious consider the following build: '18/19 GT Premium with Performance Package 1, MagneRide, A10, and Safe and Smart tech (this is the packaging my GT is). Buy an extended warranty if the ticking issues concern you. You'll be set.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Ha, nope. Go drive an 18/19 GT with A10 and then tell me an ecoboost might "feel" faster. My car is bone stock and slams you back into the seat with force. The ecoboost may feel torquey, by nature of the small displacement / turbo combo, but the 2018 Gen 3 5.0 has 100+ lb ft more peak torque and over a much broader band than the 15-17 ecoboost (and 70 lb-ft more than the 18+ ecoboost). The 5.0 peak just occurs at a higher rpm than the ecoboost. Also, the 5.0 makes as much or more torque than the ecoboost at any rpm-it's just a smoother more gradual change so it's less dramatic at low rpms. Turbo 4-cylinder cars feel torquey because they have very little torque before the turbos kick in, so once the turbo provides boost, it feels like a different animal. Test drive them both and then decide. I think you'll choose the 5.0.
I wasn't talking to you, nor looking for your opinion. And since you can't grasp what I was saying, despite the fact you damn near repeated it verbatim in your reply, please refrain from trying to answer a question you weren't asked. Plus, since you're too stupid to notice, I own a 5.0. I've owned a few, in fact.

Last edited:

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I wasn't talking to you, nor looking for your opinion. And since you can't grasp what I was saying, despite the fact you damn near repeated it verbatim in your reply, please refrain from trying to answer a question you weren't asked. Plus, since you're too stupid to notice, I own a 5.0. I've owned a few, in fact.
Ha, someone's grumpy. And this is a forum, what is said doesn't require someone to be directed a question to provide their input. Speaking of intelligence, it's always the unintelligent, insecure ones that revert to name calling. Your pathetic attempt to point out my intelligence only makes one of us look bad, and it isn't me.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Ha, someone's grumpy. And this is a forum, what is said doesn't require someone to be directed a question to provide their input. Speaking of intelligence, it's always the unintelligent, insecure ones that revert to name calling. Your pathetic attempt to point out my intelligence only makes one of us look bad, and it isn't me.
If you read my post you quoted, then re-read your reply to it, for comprehension........well, then, you'll see where the stupidity lies. In fact it looks like you thought you were replying to the OP, your reply is so odd. You wrote "you'll buy a 5.0", when I already own one. I had posted that an EB "feels faster", while stating and knowing full-well a GT actually is faster, and yet you blathered on and on about how a GT is actually faster.

And that is why, when someone is asking a question or discussing something to/with another specific member, don't jump in.
Sponsored

Last edited: