Automatic or Manual

Automatic or Manual?

• Total voters

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
Back in 2006 I bought my GT with an auto trans thinking my wife may need to drive it. She never did. Not making that mistake this time. 😁
Thought my wife how to drive a manual transmission.
Sponsored

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Manual

1625610485845.png

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I mean, if we're being honest, most top-tier motorsports series haven't had H-pattern manuals for some time: F1 started switching to sequential gearboxes en-masse in the early 90s (hell, by the middle of that decade, if you still had an H-pattern manual, you were at the back of the grid), Indycar switched in the mid 00s, sports car endurance racing switched in either the late 90s or early 00s (depending on which series and class you're looking at; I know the C6.R and C7.R had sequential boxes, and I wanna say the C5-R did as well); only major series that still uses them is NASCAR (and that won't be the case for much longer, at least for the Cup series, since the new car uses a sequential gearbox).

I highly doubt anyone who races or has raced in those series would not consider themselves a true driver just because they didn't use an H-pattern manual.
Top tier motorsports have gotten so fast that a manual doesn't make sense. The idea that the auto must be skillful because it's being used at a high level is a fallacy. Simply controlling the car at those absurd average speeds is where the skill is. Having a manual transmission would just add even more fatigue to the drivers in a sport that's already extremely physically demanding.

I personally find this whole argument silly to begin with. Just because Verstappen is out there running crazy laps with his "auto", doesn't mean your pathetically slow street car (in comparison) is just as skillful to drive.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Top tier motorsports have gotten so fast that a manual doesn't make sense. The idea that the auto must be skillful because it's being used at a high level is a fallacy. Simply controlling the car at those absurd average speeds is where the skill is. Having a manual transmission would just add even more fatigue to the drivers in a sport that's already extremely physically demanding.

I personally find this whole argument silly to begin with. Just because Verstappen is out there running crazy laps with his "auto", doesn't mean your pathetically slow street car (in comparison) is just as skillful to drive.
Verstappen demolished the field last weekend!! its amazing to watch those cars take those corners at those speeds and G's... thats balls and skill!

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Simply controlling the car at those absurd average speeds is where the skill is. Having a manual transmission would just add even more fatigue to the drivers in a sport that's already extremely physically demanding.
men of yesteryear handled the task and lived to tell the tale. So is modern man just weak then? Cars of yore were vastly harder physically to drive and no safety measures to speak of.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
My current Mustang is an A10, but the previous one was a 6MT.
I do kinda miss the 6MT at times.
My 15gt had the BG fluid and Mgw shifter.. I miss that mechanical connection alot !

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
men of yesteryear handled the task and lived to tell the tale. So is modern man just weak then? Cars of yore were vastly harder physically to drive and no safety measures to speak of.
We all know the answer to this lol

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I just never get tired of watching the old grump shift that Camaro.

Sponsored