carguy1701

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Fusion Titanium
yeah but we the fans do. /JK :)

So, where are the damn sequentials for the common-man? The nice thing about sequentials is that they are considerably stronger, simpler, and clutch-less shifts are trivial. Ignoring the gearing advantage, the A10's claims of shift-speed are negated with a sequential.
Too rough to live with, regardless of application. I remember reading tests of the E60 M5 (the V10 car) and the consensus was that it was just a little too rough to live with (shifted too fast or too slow, depending on mode). Ferrari used sequentials in their 'base' MR cars for a while (355, 360 Modena, and F430), but they switched to DCTs in the late 00s (with the 458 Italia); every test I saw mentioned the sequential was just a little too rough around the edges to live with.

Of course, on the flip side, the 6MT versions of the Ferraris (355, 360, F430) are now commanding higher prices on the used car market, so take that how you wish.
Sponsored

Last edited:

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6

smiddy012

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2020
All I can say is that drag mode on my 2020 ten speed (w active valve exhaust & cold air intake upgrade) is unreal, and even the 275s I put on can't keep up... The upshifting in particular is totally different than the other modes, gives you that kick at the end right before upshifting.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM did a great job designing that transmission. The 9 speed isn’t bad either.

Sponsored

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Your dog was better than that car.
well, first off, not my dog but she was a great beagle. in your mind, what's wrong with the stang? i'm curious

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well, first off, not my dog but she was a great beagle. in your mind, what's wrong with the stang? i'm curious
Nothing at all!

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Just to be honest ! I race 2019 2020 stick vs my 10 speed
Well if we're talking honestly here, I haven't lost to a A10 yet. Viva la MT82 !!

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Referencing the rest of your post in relation to the bolded section, if you choose to get a V8, it's your choice - you picked it to get the additional performance. Once you have a V8, you are out of the decision tree on why it's faster than the 4 cylinder, it just is. Nothing you do as a driver is responsible for it being a more powerful engine - you're out of the loop on that.
That's precisely my point - it was still all on you to make the only decision involved.

Norm

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Speaking of manuals, I was driving to the bank earlier and a guy honked at me at the red light and asked me if it was manual and I said yes. He was like "niceeeeee" 😊
Did you get his phone number?
This was right before I walked you from the light while never taking my hand back from my gal sitting next to me.🤣

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
This was right before I walked you from the light while never taking my hand back from my gal sitting next to me
a proper GF/Wife would understand and move her hand with yours around the H-pattern and and love you all the more for including her in the process. If she was REALLY good she'd be so in-tune with you and your thoughts she would shift for you and perfectly in time with your gas/clutch coordination. Or alternatively, hold your hand off the shifter until you were properly into the upper rev range before letting you shift and drop the RPMs.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Fair warning about opening worm cans . . .

And for the topic of someone else's logic, what about throttle response settings, all controlled by a chip, and tunes that can affect that? It's all someone else's logic. Are you going to get a carbureted engine so you can control that too?
I've always made exception for technologies that handle things that a human driver cannot keep up with in real time. Mainly, this is engine fueling and ignition. Keep in mind that even in my carburetor and points/condenser distributor days all that stuff was still hands-off while you were driving, with only relatively coarse adjustments possible. I also have a little experience tuning multiport EFI (laptop required), and I'll take that over carbs and distributors every time.

Unfortunately, I don't see myself having that extensive of a build-up left in me. There's a health issue involved.

Same with the Magneride suspension, or ABS programming.
I've looked into the DSC controller, even downloaded the user manual to take a peek at what might be "under the hood", so to speak. ABS doesn't get everything right, either. I've lost the ABS on my '08 at the track, and turned slightly faster laps with the ABS inop (at a slight loss of consistency).

However, there is an implication by many here that those that get autos are not really "drivers," and that's the issue I have.
Fair enough, but that's not intentionally coming from me.

Formula 1 and Indy Car are all using DCTs, which are essentially paddle-shifted cars that don't require the driver to do any clutching, so are they not real drivers?
I've addressed this point before, more than once. If I was a podium-potential driver in a wheel to wheel race series where DCTs were legal, I'd run one. More because I'd have to than out of any real want for the device.

Or pretty much every new Ferarri owner now?
As soon as you mention "Ferrari" you're introducing a significant amount of snob appeal, #becausethat'swhatFormula1racecarsuse.

The A10 is not as good as a DCT, but it's probably close enough that most non-pros won't see a performance difference.
Be a little careful here. DCTs may be excellent when racing, but there are still complaints about rough shifting in traffic and other street driving scenarios.

I did a test, and even recorded a video, of me down-shifting using the paddles on the A10, and I'd say the down-shifts were pretty much immediate. And it won't upshift until you do. So you still have control, it's just not using a third pedal. Again, if that's not your bag, fine, don't get it, but I think you should have at least driven the auto in question before stating how it works or doesn't work.
I've driven at least one paddle-shifted automatic (and a couple of paddle-shifted cars with DCT). The electronic-based shifting still doesn't quite match what I'm expecting. Perhaps I'm more sensitive to such things (I do have an idea where that's coming from, but there isn't any way I know of that would fix it). A +/- gate on the shift lever would work better for me without solving the problem entirely.

Keep in mind that I can rev-match AT downshifts without any electronic help.

Norm

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Did you get his phone number?
This was right before I walked you from the light while never taking my hand back from my gal sitting next to me.🤣
Nope he wasn't my type. I could of if I wanted to though.
Sponsored