kauljp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I love the mt82 on any car but mine.
They are full of issues, and there is only 1 fix.

I tried changing the clutch line, upgrading the shifter, fluid swap, aluminum driveshaft....none of it hit the spot.
Clutch was up next, but before I did that.
I took the car down to the dealer and found my remedy.

I traded that pos for an auto.

All my issues went away.
Don't let the manual guys fool you. They will tell you they are happy, but they don't mean it.
They will say goofy things like "mT82 iS a mAnS tRanSmIsSiOn!".
Watch those same "mEn" get gapped by an old lady late for bingo night.
Missed gears, stalling, bogging, broken clutch forks. :facepalm:
Save yourself the headache and keep that 10r80.
Godamm that old lady late for bingo comment had me laughing my guts out haha

sear12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
i"ve had my cars with manual from the start, but for the last few years it was only automatic. On a normal condition i think auto is much better, its just more convenient on a regular drive.

When i decided to get Mustng which is just few months away i told myself i just need manual in this one. Its just a different type of a car and manul will just make it more fun.

Also there are things you cant do with manual. Rev match which i really love in is both transmissions, but with auto its not you that decide when it will be used right? With manual you just change gear whenever you want and BANG

Few years ago i didint want to go to auto, once i got it i wont ever go into manual again unless its a car like Mustang.

Also i will definately drive with both anyway before i make my purchase.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Why is it that every thread on this site with a question about a Manual vs Auto transmission turns into a freaking…
My whole purpose of internet connectivity is to read threads like this. Great laughs!! My wife and I enjoy the banter 🍻🍻.

Our favorite comment so far is by @NoVaGT 🏆:

Try different friends. Your current ones aren't doing you any favors;

1622213270141.png

When you learn how to drive a manual, you'll need loser fitting jeans, so your enlarged sack can breathe.
😂😂🤣🤣

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I've driven manual for about 10 years, although not 100% of the time. I've never gotten over my fear of rollback lol. Its irrational, and I can definitely start without any help, but my mind is screaming at me the whole time. Probably because this is my first new car. Maybe I'll get over it eventually.
Maybe practice bouncing it at an incline and see if that helps the fear? At the end of the day it's probably not important how you get going as opposed to if you can get going on that hill.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Was getting fuel the other day and some bro dude in a big lifted F350 came over and was checking out the car. He asked if it was manual or auto and I didn't say anything as he was looking inside the car and mistook my shifter knob and custom boot for a manual. He was so pleased!

I asked if his big truck was auto or manual and he just laughed.

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
As others have said: I think the 2019+ Mustangs are some of the easiest manuals to learn on.

The “anti-stall”, “creep mode” means that you can just go to a parking lot and put your foot on the clutch then put it in 1st… then just _slowly_ let the clutch out. As the clutch starts to engage the car will automatically provide gas to move you forward. You can do it slow enough that you can get your foot all the way off the clutch and the car will just drive forward around the parking lot like an automatic car with your foot off the brake. Then just clutch a d brake to stop.

This is exactly how I’m teaching my fiancé to drive it. It lets you learn clutch engagement without have to learn the delicate balance between clutch/gas instantly.

Second: all of the rev-matching (for both up and down shifts) makes this car one of the easiest to drive smoothly. It is always placing the RPMs just where they need to be as you go to engage the next gear.

Other tips:

Use your current auto to learn about changing gears. Go drive it for a long time with the paddle shifters. Get used to thinking about what gear you’re in and what gear you _should_ be in in a moment and go there. That anticipation is something only a human can do - and is one of the things that is better about driving a manual.

Also: get a friend that can drive stick and let them drive your car… but let you move the gear shift from the passenger seat. This is a great way to learn about how it feels to move through the gears without grinding everything (because the other person is controlling everything else).

Finally: have fun!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
you know you can just go back and edit your post... It was in the Forum Supplement for 6MT drivers
Now that's just f'n funny as shit...😂🤣

Dai Uy Ted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2020 Maserati Levante S Ribelle
...I learned stick in an old ass Camry with barely functioning synchro's, and I'm sure there's plenty here who learned on an even older, crappier transmission.
A six-year-old Simca, with three on the tree, back in 1961. Then polished my skills in the family VW bus.

Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I learned stick in an old ass Camry with barely functioning synchro's, and I'm sure there's plenty here who learned on an even older, crappier transmission.
I learned in a ‘72 Vega. It was by far the easiest manual to drive. Simply push the accelerator to the floor and let out the clutch. It was the only way to have enough power to actually get the car moving.

Doc2020GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP 2018 Explorer. 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Wow, that's hilarious. I'm totally going to bust on manual guys who own a 19+ for this. Auto creep, hill assist, auto rev-matching...is it even a manual transmission anymore :giggle:

I learned stick in an old ass Camry with barely functioning synchro's, and I'm sure there's plenty here who learned on an even older, crappier transmission.
1963 Volkswagen. (Actually I’d been riding motorcycles for years so the clutch thing wasn’t bad)

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Exactly. I'd bet good money that if most of the manual diehards who bust on automatics had to drive a 70-year-old French piece of shit, they'd immediately go buy a 10R80 :crackup:

In the same vein, if my only choices were a modern manual, or a 1950's TorqueFlite, I'd have an MT82, no questions.

It's amazing how much transmission technology has advanced these days. I think a lot of the anti-auto crowd either forget, gloss over, or plain don't know how much tech has gotten into even the "manual" transmission.
Also why some of the truly truest of true of all Manual Men complain about the MT82. And I wager some are impatient and refuse to get their timing down. Took a few weeks of daily driving before I was calibrated to it.

rhexis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Audi S4, 2020 Mustang GT
I love the mt82 on any car but mine.
They are full of issues, and there is only 1 fix.

I tried changing the clutch line, upgrading the shifter, fluid swap, aluminum driveshaft....none of it hit the spot.
Clutch was up next, but before I did that.
I took the car down to the dealer and found my remedy.

I traded that pos for an auto.

All my issues went away.
Don't let the manual guys fool you. They will tell you they are happy, but they don't mean it.
They will say goofy things like "mT82 iS a mAnS tRanSmIsSiOn!".
Watch those same "mEn" get gapped by an old lady late for bingo night.
Missed gears, stalling, bogging, broken clutch forks. :facepalm:
Save yourself the headache and keep that 10r80.
A six-year-old Simca, with three on the tree, back in 1961. Then polished my skills in the family VW bus.
my first truck and the one I took my dl test on was a 72 dodge with 3 on the tree. graduated from that to a vw fox and then a diesel Jetta. my first slush box was a Ford Explorer I believe in 1990 I do remember it was the first year the explorer was produced.

Jerrycobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
I bought a 17 GT PP Manual with next to no experience driving manual. I literally just asked a friend to let me crash course his Civic Si for a few hours in the morning and off I went to purchase the car in the afternoon. There was some regrets and 2nd thoughts in the beginning when I was learning (stalling/bucking/lurching), thinking is this worth it? is manual really so much fun like others have said? But over time though as I have gotten used to it, its become a enjoyable car now that I am able to properly "extract" the performance, and I understand the driver/car/mechanical connection.

Also I kept my other automatic car to daily around, so I am in a different situation where I don't drive stick every day. I was able to drive my regular car during the day and take the stang out late at night to learn and not worry about traffic around me.

So its hard to say if you will like it right away, you might even end up regretting it, gotta drive one and find out, haha
Sponsored