Sponsored

APR Splitter Mounting

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
@Flyhalf Thank you very much. I might start with a ZL1 or APR as a slight upgrade first along with the GT500/Mach1 handling pack spoiler with the gurney flap. I think that might be a good balance before I start building my own splitters and upgrading to a real wing down the road. Though I wonder if the GTC200 and ZL1 or APR would balance well together (with hood venting)?
Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Gtc200 is not a good wing. Unfortunately.
Is also an harder one to resell in case you go bigger.
The "swing" adds some DF not a lot but yes a good balance. There is a drag factor though vs a pure wing.
A nice alternative could be a 350R wing replica .
Food for thoughts ☺

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Don't expect much from an APR splitter that bolts right up against the factory body work and only sticks out 2" or less. That's basically an entirely cosmetic addon. If you're going to just block off the factory brake scoops, then I'd skip the entire thing. Those feed air to the brakes and make a little downforce, and it would be a shame to block off the rear factory engineered aero to only add a few scant square inches of splitter on the front edge.

Yeah I'm not even sure the GT350R or PP2 splitters are doing all that much work. I'm sure they do a little, but Ford is kind of obligated to make appearance changes to sell those models, so I think they'd have these splitters regardless if they actually need them or not.

Here's one I made a while back that I'm about to scrap and remake with some minor changes. The CAMC rules allow 6" of splitter forward of the bumper, so this follows that shape.

It's run at CotA as fast as 136mph, but mostly gets used at lower speed autocross stuff at half that speed.

Making a big flat piece of material isn't difficult or expensive with some basic tools. Mounting it to the car at the right height to actually make downforce and including ducting to the brakes are the tricky parts.

IMG_4855.jpg
IMG_4856.jpg

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
Gtc200 is not a good wing. Unfortunately.
Is also an harder one to resell in case you go bigger.
The "swing" adds some DF not a lot but yes a good balance. There is a drag factor though vs a pure wing.
A nice alternative could be a 350R wing replica .
Food for thoughts ☺
I had heard the "swing" made more down force than the GT350R replica. Interesting. Who makes the best 350R replicas?

Don't expect much from an APR splitter that bolts right up against the factory body work and only sticks out 2" or less. That's basically an entirely cosmetic addon. If you're going to just block off the factory brake scoops, then I'd skip the entire thing. Those feed air to the brakes and make a little downforce, and it would be a shame to block off the rear factory engineered aero to only add a few scant square inches of splitter on the front edge.

Making a big flat piece of material isn't difficult or expensive with some basic tools. Mounting it to the car at the right height to actually make downforce and including ducting to the brakes are the tricky parts.
APR does have an option for the PP cars that doesn't block off the factory tunnels. I would consider options for better mounting if I were to try it. Maybe I'll just start with the "swing" or 350R replica and vent my hood before I jump into larger homemade splitters and a bigger wing.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I see you have a 2019. APR updated their splitter for 18+ cars to not block those ducts I believe. But again, you can call them and they can make it longer.

I sent them email several months ago about extending it and how it works with pricing. There are better options like DIY as others have stated but it’s an option This was the response:

Hey Warren,

You do not have to send in a template for that, just let us know how much more you would like it extended.
Typically, $25 more per 2" behind the bumper it is lined up to the edge and in front of the bumper it extends 2.5"

Thank You,

Luis Pulido

@APR_Luis

APR PERFORMANCE Inc,
4850 Murrieta St.,
Chino, CA 91710
Phone# 909-590-3796
Fax# 909-590-3926
www.aprperformance.com

Follow Us on Social Media

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Do you happen to have a more detailed write up on your setup with the parts you used to mount it to the subframe? Did you get yours down to 3" off the ground? So the quick latch on the bumper just allows for easier removal if needed?

Hey man, sorry for the late reply. I was on a business trip throughout the midwest all last week and
have been busy getting everything back together.

If you want more info I can supply it to you. I'd have to look up some parts. Mine is not 3" off the ground, more like 5.25". Allesandro's (@Flyhalf ) solution is more performance oriented and easier
to swap out once the mounts are in place.

The quick latches does make it easier to take the bumper off but due to the splitter being mounted to the crash beams you will have to unscrew it from those points as well.

Hope that helps!

Todd

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I was able to drill into the bottom of the steel bumper and fish a nut into the back side. It only took a few small notches in the bottom grill and I think underside of the bumper to pass the rods through.

IMG_2312.JPG

IMG_2314.JPG
How long were your rods? I've got an APR coming for my PP1 car and want to mount it the same way but I'm not sure if the rods provided are long enough.

Therealmattlex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
How long were your rods? I've got an APR coming for my PP1 car and want to mount it the same way but I'm not sure if the rods provided are long enough.
I'm not to sure. I'd measure but my cars in storage for another month. They were the ones that came with the ZL1 addons splitter. I did extend them approximately 1.5" with some standoffs so I would have the eyelets turned in as far as possible

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not to sure. I'd measure but my cars in storage for another month. They were the ones that came with the ZL1 addons splitter. I did extend them approximately 1.5" with some standoffs so I would have the eyelets turned in as far as possible
I found these and ordered a pair to mount to the crash bar. Your thoughts?
Screenshot_20230303_113534_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230303_113534_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I like that! now you can adjust the angle and length also.
I'm going to make an install video using those brackets. Any strain on the splitter is exerted top down so theg should do the trick. I'll let you know if I need longer rods than those supplied with the splitter. Thanks for the feedback.

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How do you have it mounted? With the Apr I took it out for about 20 mins and didn’t get over 70 and it already started to create a gap between the bumper and the splitter in front. How do you keep if from warping?
I'm going to be installing the same
I was able to drill into the bottom of the steel bumper and fish a nut into the back side. It only took a few small notches in the bottom grill and I think underside of the bumper to pass the rods through.

IMG_2312.JPG

IMG_2314.JPG
What splitter is yours? I've got an APR coming tomorrow and will mount the same way but I'm wondering if the provided rods will be long enough? If not I'll buy the proper length. To me mounting on the crash bar is the only way to go. I also bought the quik buttons but I'm not sure if I'll need them.

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You have to put notches in the lower grille. That’s about it. Rather that than bumper

DB7C7EEB-9837-49ED-8B7F-443DE4257DAC.jpeg
How long were your support rods? I'm going to rivnut a length of L channel to the crash bar and affix the upper end of the support rods to that.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
How long were your support rods? I'm going to rivnut a length of L channel to the crash bar and affix the upper end of the support rods to that.
From My order below from Fully Torqued Racing when they were in business. I would go an inch longer if I were to order again

ADJUSTABLE SPLITTER SUPPORT ROD (PAIR)
LengthCustom, 12" and Under (Specify Below) Add Wrench FlatsYes Premium Hardware Upgrade?Yes Custom (Please specify a 1.75in range)10-11.75in

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
From My order below from Fully Torqued Racing when they were in business. I would go an inch longer if I were to order again

ADJUSTABLE SPLITTER SUPPORT ROD (PAIR)
LengthCustom, 12" and Under (Specify Below) Add Wrench FlatsYes Premium Hardware Upgrade?Yes Custom (Please specify a 1.75in range)10-11.75in
So you'd go 13 inch adjustable if you did it again? You gain or lose length depending on how high or low the L channel is mounted to the crash bar or is it height specific because a proper angle needs to be maintained in order to mount the lower portion of the support rod? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored