Anyone running square setup?

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
The OP didn’t mention rotatable. That is a different case
Indeed they did not. But they also didn’t mention wanting to run a square set up WITHOUT using spacers. See how this could lead the conversation in different directions? Or at least lead to different interpretations? No one’s wrong, they just need to provide more info as to what they’re looking for specifically
Sponsored

Goz To 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I just mounted up some new flat black Apex SM-10's that are 19 by 11.5. They use a 31mm spacer and run on the stock "R" studs in front.
I''m running squared Hoosier 315/30/19 on them and they fit good. Tried fitting them with Pirelli 315/705/19, and that combination rubbed. Those tires are 1.4 inches taller in overall diameter than the Hoosier's, and would not fit. They rubbed in the backside of the wheel arch... Which sucks, cause those Pirelli's are soooo good and durable.
As far as Apex goes, I think that their 19 by 11 inch rim with a 305/30/19 square set-up would be an awesome rotatable arrangement that is really affordable.

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
I just mounted up some new flat black Apex SM-10's that are 19 by 11.5. They use a 31mm spacer and run on the stock "R" studs in front.
I''m running squared Hoosier 315/30/19 on them and they fit good. Tried fitting them with Pirelli 315/705/19, and that combination rubbed. Those tires are 1.4 inches taller in overall diameter than the Hoosier's, and would not fit. They rubbed in the backside of the wheel arch... Which sucks, cause those Pirelli's are soooo good and durable.
As far as Apex goes, I think that their 19 by 11 inch rim with a 305/30/19 square set-up would be an awesome rotatable arrangement that is really affordable.
Those are ET56, yes? When you say rubbed on the backside of the wheel arch, I assume you mean the fronts - are you talking about hitting the bodywork on the outside lip when turning or under compression, or something else? I'm going to an 11.5" rotatable setup and would like to understand where you've had issues.

Thanks!

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I run two sets of Signature Wheels (SV502 and SV503). Both are 19x11s with a 30mm spacer up front on R-studs. Works great. I've used 305s and 315s on them (including the 315/705/19 Pirellis). All good for me.

Hit up @50 Deep for details. He'll get you setup with the proper offsets not to have issues.

_D2_1278.JPG

_D2_8823.JPG

Goz To 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Those are ET56, yes? When you say rubbed on the backside of the wheel arch, I assume you mean the fronts - are you talking about hitting the bodywork on the outside lip when turning or under compression, or something else? I'm going to an 11.5" rotatable setup and would like to understand where you've had issues.

Thanks!

Yup. The ET56. The problem I had was purely because of the Pirelli Ferrari Challange tires I had mounted. Those tires are almost an inch and a half larger in overall diameter than most any other 315/19's. I really wanted to use them exclusively because I have a great local source to get them at a nice price, and they stick like velcro. Best R compound slick I've ever experienced, by a significant margin.

When I removed the Pirelli's and put on Hoosier 315/30/19's, I had no issues at all. I have the little rock guards mounted up front, which reduced clearance by maybe an additional 1/4 inch, but the set-up with Hoosiers doesn't rub.

So to confirm, if you run almost any 30 series tire on these rims, you're golden. Just no Pirelli race slicks from Ferrari World Challenge cars....

The rub issue was on the front of the car, on the back side of the wheel arch. closest to the door. It rubbed down on the bottom by where the side splitter tucks up under the car. Below is a pic. It was in this area, towrds the bottom. Was enough of a rub that it would have ripped stuff of at full steering lock...

Rub.jpg

Hope this helps
Scott

Goz To 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Hey Kevin. You and I actually talked about which rims I should grab last fall. I was torn between the 11's and the 11.5's....

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
I assume you mean squared= rotatable

For a great quality/cost wheel flow formed
Apex wheels is the way to go
2 choices.
Ec7
Sm10
19x11
Offset +52mm

For a fully customize wheel fully forged
Signature wheels are the way to go.

Requirements for rotatable setup
Longer front studs.
25mm hubcentric spacers
Open lug nuts
U can find them all at OPMUSTANG.COM

HIGHLY SUGGESTED a camber plate.

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
Yup. The ET56. The problem I had was purely because of the Pirelli Ferrari Challange tires I had mounted. Those tires are almost an inch and a half larger in overall diameter than most any other 315/19's. I really wanted to use them exclusively because I have a great local source to get them at a nice price, and they stick like velcro. Best R compound slick I've ever experienced, by a significant margin.

When I removed the Pirelli's and put on Hoosier 315/30/19's, I had no issues at all. I have the little rock guards mounted up front, which reduced clearance by maybe an additional 1/4 inch, but the set-up with Hoosiers doesn't rub.

So to confirm, if you run almost any 30 series tire on these rims, you're golden. Just no Pirelli race slicks from Ferrari World Challenge cars....

The rub issue was on the front of the car, on the back side of the wheel arch. closest to the door. It rubbed down on the bottom by where the side splitter tucks up under the car. Below is a pic. It was in this area, towrds the bottom. Was enough of a rub that it would have ripped stuff of at full steering lock...

Rub.jpg

Hope this helps
Scott
Very helpful, thanks!

Sponsored

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L

Keep an eye on the inside of the rear tires with Hoosier 315/30R19s. When I added more negative camber with that setup, on my OEM GT350 wheels, the inside of the rear tires started wearing through the parking brake cable where the cable bracket pushes out from the body of the car towards the tire. I wore down a nice groove in my first set of Hoosier tires as a result. I ended up just removing that bracket entirely, and using stainless steel zip ties to secure the parking brake closer to the body and away from the tire. I've had no issues since.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Keep an eye on the inside of the rear tires with Hoosier 315/30R19s. When I added more negative camber with that setup, on my OEM GT350 wheels, the inside of the rear tires started wearing through the parking brake cable where the cable bracket pushes out from the body of the car towards the tire. I wore down a nice groove in my first set of Hoosier tires as a result. I ended up just removing that bracket entirely, and using stainless steel zip ties to secure the parking brake closer to the body and away from the tire. I've had no issues since.
I agreed. 315 does require 7-8mm spacer in many cases

Hawkeye1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, Tesla Mdl X, 911 GT3, V90, 911S, Z4
Considering getting a new set of wheels with the 19x11 square setup with 305tires, but couldn't find much information through searching. Can anyone share your wheel spec with square setup? Much appreciated.:like:
Using Apex wheels, see the attached photo. Michelin PS4S 305/30/19 going on Friday. The original Cup 2's have 'lasted' 4,500 miles, but they're in bad shape. I added toe-in to the front and rear about 2,000 miles ago, which helped with tramlining, but probably shortened the life of the tires. I plan to have the alignment 'tweaked' to reduce the toe-in a bit (depending on how much tramlining the car demonstrates with the PS4S). I'll also rotate them every 1-2K miles and see how that helps tread life.

Apex Wheel.jpg

Goz To 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
you're getting take-offs? Does the same local source get Porsche cup tires? I would have thought the 295/680 or 305/690 would be readily available.

Yes. Scrubs most of the time just running HPDE's...

I thought the same thing regarding the slimmer Pirelli tire size options. Here's the issue I found with those sizes:
Pirelli 315/705/19 - This is the original problematic tire for me. The Pirelli specs are that this tire is 27.5 inches tall in overall diameter and 12.5 inches wide for its' section width.
Pirelli 305/680/19 - Not enough improvement to really notice. Pirelli specs are that this tire is 27.3 inches tall in overall diameter and also 12.3 inches wide in section width. So you're losing .2 of an inch in overall diamter and section width.
Pirelli 295/690/19 - Not optimal or recommeded to strech this size onto an 11.5 inch rim for track use.

Hoosier 315/30/19 - The sweet spot for me. Hoosier specs are that this tire is 26.1 inches tall in overall diameter and has a section width of 12.5 inches. So the Hoosier is as wide as either Pirelli, but 1.4 inches smaller in overall diameter. That's what made all the difference in my situation....

Hopefully this makes sence the way I butchered this explanation. :)
Sponsored