Sponsored

anyone regret getting a X-Pipe

Rock50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
It's louder and sounds good up to like 4000rpm, then it gets raspy AF. I went with a resonated X (still alot smaller and lighter then the stock resonator) and sounds amazing without all the rasp.
Is the rest of your system stock? More volume than the stock resonator, right? Got another thread going about the Accelatec resonated X pipe that I am thinking about.
Sponsored

Jnaszty559

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerardo
Vehicle(s)
2005 mustang v6
I’d say you have to buy one and see for yourself. They’re pretty cheap for 200 or under. My muffler guy says that all basic h-pipe and x-pipes are the same so don’t spend 500+ for a first one.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Is the rest of your system stock? More volume than the stock resonator, right? Got another thread going about the Accelatec resonated X pipe that I am thinking about.
Yes I have the stock non-active mufflers. The active ones sound a little better IMO and you have the ability to control some of the volume with the valves, so it might be a better match with those.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I just looked that one up and the only complaint I'd have about it is that it's 409 stainless steel. Borla has a mid section that's got a resonator as well. The Magnaflow True X actually chokes the exhaust so I'd pass on it.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The Magnaflow True X actually chokes the exhaust so I'd pass on it.
Why do you say that? Looking down the pipe it looks very smooth and with no kinks or sharp bends and the diameter does not neck down at all.

It may not make more power than stock (idk what midpipe does) but it certainly is no worse than the stock POS.

1660654393394.png

Last edited:

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Why do you say that? Looking down the pipe it looks very smooth and with no kinks or sharp bends and the diameter does not neck down at all.

It may not make more power than stock (idk what midpipe does) but it certainly is no worse than the stock POS.
There's a thread by EngineerMike pressure testing different areas of the exhaust and the Magnaflow actually wasn't as efficient as you'd think it is.

Exhaust Pressure Testing | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
If my Switchfire ends up being too obnoxious once I put on my headers with the Atak, I'll probably look to fabricate up a mid section using the 3" dual in/out resonator option here:

Dual Thin Oval Muffler (stainlessbros.com)

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
There's a thread by EngineerMike pressure testing different areas of the exhaust and the Magnaflow actually wasn't as efficient as you'd think it is.
Can't argue with the numbers of course, but I wouldn't really take that as "choking" the exhaust...certainly not on a near stock car.

If you're pushing 4 digit power like Mike in that thread maybe the Magnaflow unit might become a little restrictive if you're trying to eek out every single last horse. But I wouldn't worry too much about a stock 5 liter struggling to breathe through it.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Can't argue with the numbers of course, but I wouldn't really take that as "choking" the exhaust...certainly not on a near stock car.

If you're pushing 4 digit power like Mike in that thread maybe the Magnaflow unit might become a little restrictive if you're trying to eek out every single last horse. But I wouldn't worry too much about a stock 5 liter struggling to breathe through it.
Of course. You probably will see negligible numbers just like comparing an H-pipe vs an X-pipe in that endless nonsense over a few tq and hp.

Sponsored

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 & 16 GT; 20 GT500 CFTP; 21 Mach 1
I put the borla switchfire on my Mach 1 and no regrets. Its a funky take on an x-pipe. Quiet mode is still very quiet for neighborhood relations. All exhaust modes increased a step in volume (normal is now stock sport mode, sport mode is now stock track mode, track mode is now 20 gt500 sport mode level). Track mode isnt obnoxious at this point, but if it were any louder it would be for street driving.

Not as raspy as I would expect from an x-pipe.

Its not the best audio, but here is some in-car and trackside video footage of my Mach 1 which may give you an idea of how an x-pipe (switchfire) would sound in track mode (my missed shift at second 47 should give a sense of loudness lol)

Last edited:

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
In my opinion X or H will sound better than stock resonators.
I like both of them. But I am probably going to hold out for a cat back instead.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I’m amazed people lose sleep over the decision to use 2.5” vs. 3.0” cat backs but when the topic of a True X style crossover and it’s extremely narrow cross-section area of the intersecting tubes enter the discussion the reduced flow isn’t a big deal.

5.0L, 32v, 110% VE, 7500-8000 rpm equals a lot of CFM traveling through the exit piping.
H-pipe, Sweep X-pipe or Straight pipe. The Choke-X will unnecessarily raise the catalytic temps during hard pulls.

Just my opinion for what it’s worth.

OP
OP

dbhajek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bud
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Accelatec resonated X pipe sounds looks promising

MrXXX0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Here is my POV driving video inside my Mach 1 with the Borla Switchfire Xpipe in track mode, windows up and rear seat delete option ( cause you do lose some sound dampen material with that option. I have a few other videos with the Borla Switchfire and it sounds fantastic on the Mach 1. To be honest you can't really go wrong with either H or X on the S550. It all depends on the sounds you're trying to chase. But regardless of what you pick the 5.0 Coyote is just a raspy high revving V8.
Sponsored