Mach 1 with H-pipe or X-pipe?

Wantedx9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Grabber Blue
Yes, I only added Steeda H-pipe, and you'll be very happy with the deeper sound. Plus, make cut a little shorter (1/4 inch) and pull exhaust forward to eliminate issue with active exhaust harness rubbing into frame and cutting wiring.
So where you're supposed to cut, cut 1/4 inch shorter?
Sponsored

Jnaszty559

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerardo
Vehicle(s)
2005 mustang v6
Aren’t all h pipes and x pipes essentially same? Just different vs stainless etc… if that matters too you . Id just go with the cheapest one.

wny354

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Mach, 13' Boss 302
The object is to draw the exhaust system forward, leaving more clearance for the passenger side harness plug. Lay the H-Pipe against the resonator and add 1/8-1/4 inch to the cut line. The issue of the active exhaust harness damage is more likely to occur at the track. You'd be surprised how much the exhaust system moves at wide open throttle.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Well after listening to a bunch of sound clips I ended up ordering a Ford Performance X-pipe. Preferred the H on my 2018 non-AE but the X sounded good on Steeda's video comparing the two on the Mach. The tie-breaker was the Steeda dyno of the 2021 GT that actually showed both more torque and HP from the X (although a very minimal increase). So we'll see what happens, fully prepared to take it right back off if it's too loud or raspy.

Thank you ... was just going to post these :)

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Thank you ... was just going to post these :)
You bet. Would love to see comparison dyno runs on a Mach 1 with both pipes like you guys did for the GT... :like:

Sponsored

Cobrajet70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Hp
Vehicle Showcase
Love the H pipe, Mach 1 tips really do help with the high end frequencies and the H pipe just deepen the bottom.
You really don't need to cut short, doesn't hurt either, there's enough play within the system to adjust every thing. Just make sure your Tips are level and even and take note of that connector and pinch weld.
and I just De pin the connector, repair the wire and re pin then readjust the exhaust, Sadly not every one has the same work ethic but I found it quicker and you'll never tell there was a repair.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Located a stock GT350 X-pipe with resonators. When it arrives will see what mods are needed to make it fit the Mach tubing sizes, hopefully it can be turned into a bolt-on like a regular X-pipe.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Located a stock GT350 X-pipe with resonators. When it arrives will see what mods are needed to make it fit the Mach tubing sizes, hopefully it can be turned into a bolt-on like a regular X-pipe.
It can be if in the hands of the right fabricator / welder.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
It can be if in the hands of the right fabricator / welder.
...which I unfortunately am not.

Got the GT350 X-pipe and resonator section in, and have a Ford Performance X-pipe. Here are some comparison pics and the pipe measurements:

FP inlet outer diameter: 2.25"
FP outlet OD: 2.50"

GT350 inlet OD: 2.50"
GT350 outlet OD: 2.75"

So the plan is to install the FP pipe myself, and unless I hate it, the GT350 assembly will be in the classifieds soon. So many times over the years I meant to learn how to weld but never did it, and always end up regretting it. I went to a short 1-week hands-on class for work a few years ago and all I learned is that I really suck at welding.

IMG_4638.JPG

IMG_4641.JPG

IMG_4643.JPG

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
So the plan is to install the FP pipe myself, and unless I hate it, the GT350 assembly will be in the classifieds soon.
That OEM GT350 cast stainless steel X isn’t the greatest flowing vs the FP sweep X.
I think the FP X will do you right , if not try the H-pipe next.
IMO the factory is using that casted stainless True X to assist in suppressing dB’s on the GT350 in an attempt to keep the exhaust volume reasonable.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
OK, Ford Performance X-pipe installed. Probably will be taking it back off and putting the factory resonator back on. This FP X is more booming loud at 2000 rpm, which I don’t like, but otherwise sounds a lot like stock, except louder at WOT. But very quiet cruising. Also can’t get the tips to line up right, the two long legs didn’t match up well with the back end of the exhaust. Had to pound a piece of wood between them to spread them out so I could jam the pipe on. No noticeable difference in power.

Last edited:

Al Reit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach1
I had the Ford performance x pipe installed at the dealer. A few months later, the active exhaust stopped working (oddly, immediately after driving the tail of the dragon). The dealer fixed it at no cost.

Using an iPhone ap, I checked decibel levels before and after the x pipe. In normal at 2k rpm it was about 2 decibels louder (~10% louder). In track at wot it was about 3 decibels louder (~20 % louder). The cold start in normal was 10 decibels louder (twice as loud). Quiet start is still quiet enough.

Overall, I like it a lot! Wouldn’t mind it being a little louder, but I suspect it would be too loud with a cat back. As a disclaimer, I’m 63, if I were 23 I might make it louder.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Also can’t get the tips to line up right, the two long legs didn’t match up well with the back end of the exhaust. Had to pound a piece of wood between them to spread them out so I could jam the pipe on.
Did you put it on the right way up ? (the bends at the exit are different on the left and right side of the car) :like:

WD :like:

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Did you put it on the right way up ? (the bends at the exit are different on the left and right side of the car) :like:

Not on this FP version… I was looking for that. Here it is next to the GT350 center section.

6ADDCC6B-D78A-48AB-884E-EFE7A8361297.jpeg

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah its difficult to tell from your photo, maybe its the angle or maybe it's just fabricated poorly :frown:

The difference compared to yours appears more obvious in this photo from their install instructions :

1653472416815.png

But even that seems far less pronounced than the Steeda offerings :

1653472637660.png

Although I have seen people still mange to fit the Steeda kit upside down (on YouTube installation videos ...).

Sponsored