Sponsored

Exhaust Pressure Testing

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I recently did some exhaust pressure testing and thought I would share my results for anyone interested. I've done exhaust pressure testing before and found power by relieving it. For reference, Lingenfelter IIRC once wrote that exhaust pressure should be kept under about 5 psi, but turbo setups can run over 50 psi.

The setup is a Stage 2 Whipple 2018 Mustang A10, running 93 octane, the XDI HPFP, and the 3.625" pulley for about 13 psi boost. The exhaust pressure rises with rpm, so the below numbers were recorded at peak pressure at the shift point, or about 7400 rpm.

Full stock exhaust measured 15 psi ahead of both cats. One cat is fairly new with about 5k miles, while the other is original with about 33k miles, but they both measured the same. My assumption was that most of the pressure was being imposed by the cats so I moved downstream of the cats and, to my surprise, measured 13 psi.

Next, I swapped to a Magnaflow Street series cat-back (model 19370). I measured 11 psi ahead of the cats, for a reduction of about 4 psi. Downstream of the cats measured about 6 psi, so the cat-back successfully knocked 7 psi off of the after-cat number.

On one hand, the Magnaflow reduced the after-cat pressure quite a bit from 13 psi to 6. On the other hand, I honestly expected it to be lower with the dual 3" system with straight-through mufflers.

Another oddity you might notice is that the cat dP went from 2 psi to 5 psi. The cats, of course, didn't suddenly become more restrictive. What likely happened was that the cat-back reduced the pressure at the cats, which in turn increased the volumetric flow rate of the exhaust and, thus, the velocity through the cats. With higher velocity comes higher pressure drop.

Next, I am wondering how much the 2.25" factory-connection is hurting it. It's 2.5" upstream and downstream of this connection and it's obviously the smallest diameter in the system.

On a final note, with a knock-limited supercharged Coyote, spark timing is the key to making power. The reduction in exhaust pressure of 4 psi should allow about 1 deg of additional spark timing according to the link below and professional contacts, which in turn would make about 20 more hp due to timing alone.

https://etd.ohiolink.edu/apexprod/r...ssion=dayton1375262182&disposition=attachment
Sponsored

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Very cool. I was surprised to see such a gain from just the cat back exhaust without also replacing the mid pipes.

Without any timing/tuning changes, would you guess there’s a power gain from the swap?
Did you also monitor boost to see if there was any corresponding drop in pressure on the intake side?

OP
OP

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Very cool. I was surprised to see such a gain from just the cat back exhaust without also replacing the mid pipes.
Are upgraded mid-pipes available for use with the stock cats?

Without any timing/tuning changes, would you guess there’s a power gain from the swap?
With a PD blower the airflow is a function of the blower size, speed, and inlet conditions. Therefore, changes in exhaust pressure can not change the air flow rate, unlike NA, centrif, and turbos. If we leave the tune alone, the reduction in pumping losses is the sole source of gains. A pumping loss improvement of 4 psi is as follows:

power = work / time
work = force x distance
power = force x distance / time
power = 4 x 3.66^2 x 3.1416 / 4 x 3.65 x 4 x 7400 / 12 / 60 / 550 = 11.5 hp

Did you also monitor boost to see if there was any corresponding drop in pressure on the intake side?
Sure didn’t, but I wouldn’t expect much change. It would require another gauge setup since the inferred manifold pressure doesn’t know what’s going on with the exhaust.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Next, I am wondering how much the 2.25" factory-connection is hurting it. It's 2.5" upstream and downstream of this connection and it's obviously the smallest diameter in the system
So the 3” pipe where you measured the 6psi, is after all the factory connects and smaller diameter pieces?

If yes, then looks like larger diameters are needed to reduce back pressure more. Assuming your mufflers are true 3” and not those ones with louvers that make the ID effectively 2.25”

Sponsored

OP
OP

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
So the 3” pipe where you measured the 6psi, is after all the factory connects and smaller diameter pieces?
No, I measured maybe 1 foot downstream of the cat, which is upstream of the 2.25” factory connection.

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
Thanks for the good info. Since I have active exhaust it makes me wonder what the difference would be between track and normal mode.
I would hope track mode would be comparable to the magnaflows.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Interesting indeed. I’m interested in finding out if the neck down to 2.25 and opening it up to a true 2.5 makes a difference as well.

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
@engineermike great work, have been hoping someone would do this. It's a test that really doesn't get done enough in the aftermarket/modification context even though it's simple and great bang for the buck in terms of making good data-informed decisions. Please keep going!

Would be interested to see this performed on a stock exhaust at various before/after points, same with vacuum in the induction tract but you've clearly moved on from stock :).

Last edited:
OP
OP

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Well you suckers guilted me into taking a reading downstream of the 2.25” factory connection. Most readings were 1.5 psi or less. This compares to 6 psi at the cat outlet. So between a pair of 60 deg bends and the 2.25” factory connection I’m losing 4-5 psi, which is hard to believe. I’m going to check it again today.

Last edited:

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I’m trying to make sense of this...

So losing 4.5 psi is a bad thing correct?

OP
OP

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I’m trying to make sense of this...

So losing 4.5 psi is a bad thing correct?
Maybe I could have worded it better. I’m gaining 4-5 psi of exhaust pressure through a pair of bends and the factory-connection.

OP
OP

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Ok just retested and confirmed 1.5 psi downstream of the factory 2.25” connection.

The magnaflow is doing it’s job after the connection.
Sponsored

Last edited: