Sponsored

Am I way off base here?

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'm sorry , I don't think you are wrong. You have been a good customer and you have continued to go to this dealership, when your choices are unlimited. They should realize this and show a little appreciation for your devotion to their business. Everyone seems to be willing to pay what ever anyone asks for their products and services, no matter what the price. That's how we wind up with $1200 axle back exhaust systems., I mean really $1200 for 2 mufflers and 4 chrome or stainless tips? When did the price for a muffler become $600 ????? A little off track, but hey. They should take care of you. Return customers are worth nothing today?
Agree, the price of catback exhaust systems are ridiculous for the S550. $1500 for 4 rwhp and louder/better sound? For some 304SS tubing and mufflers and shiny tips? Or how about $1200+ for a quality set of LT headers? Gimme a break! These companies are pricing themselves out of more customers. It reminds me of how, before the Great Recession, the price for a large pizza at a lot of places was $25+ ($29 in today's dollars). During the recession, the price of a large pizza plummeted to $10 at most places. People realized what a ripoff a $25 pizza was, and the price remained at the fair price for a long time.
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I don’t disagree with some of what you pointed out. That being said the cost to run a business is extremely expensive. Most of the aftermarket guys are in CA and that makes it even worse. I’ll bet you the profit margin on that $1200 exhaust is no where near what you think it is when you add in, facility, tooling, material, r&d, employee’s, insurance, workmans comp, tax’s(employer side), etc. I’m a GC and my own wife about shxt when I showed her what it cost per day before I even left the house.

Agree, the price of catback exhaust systems are ridiculous for the S550. $1500 for 4 rwhp and louder/better sound? For some 304SS tubing and mufflers and shiny tips? Or how about $1200+ for a quality set of LT headers? Gimme a break! These companies are pricing themselves out of more customers. It reminds me of how, before the Great Recession, the price for a large pizza at a lot of places was $25+ ($29 in today's dollars). During the recession, the price of a large pizza plummeted to $10 at most places. People realized what a ripoff a $25 pizza was, and the price remained at the fair price for a long time.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Blame it on the computers. The car buyer has his apps that show how much they should pay for a car and what their car is worth. The dealer has their software too. There is very little real negotiation and profit margins on car sales have been reduced significantly. There is little dealer loyalty. Customers are going to go where they can get the best deal and it's real easy to find quickly with their smart phone app. The dealer's service department is now the major profit center. They aren't going to give it away.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Another view of this is that $126 is probably not even an hour of labor so you are probably not likely to get much of an inspection for that money. Look at the manual and do it yourself, it will probably be done better that way.
I had a recent good story.had oil change at my local garage that I've been using forever.had leak overnight.brought it back garage,still oil on floor of my garage.brought it to Sandy Springs Ford.his tech spent an hour cleaning out the oil mess while I waited.they also washed car.he wouldn't charge me anything,not even 20 bucks for lunch.and I didn't even buy the car there.ill go back for next oil change.

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt premium, 1973 mustang conv.
with a smaller shop perhaps you could have had them do a over all check for free, i know because the one shop we worked at did it, was it a crazy over the top inspection no but a decent 10-15 min look over of normal common stuff and most of the time netted us work which is why we did it and would always bring the customers back and or they would recommend us. big dealerships (or small town ones) dont rely on that as they do make a lot in warranty work

Sponsored

OP
OP
oncewas

oncewas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I think one of the things that didn't help was Ford gave me one or maybe two free oil changes, not the dealer. I've only used one but I'm pretty sure I have another setting there to be used. But with the dealer it was/is like as soon as I drove off the lot it was like don't come back unless you're buying another car.
And the techs are going to get paid for what ever they do that is a moot point. I'm taking about the dealer a small town dealer that I have history with. Bought two new vehicles in two years have all service, recalls and oil changes done by them. And I just wanted them to look at my car and tell me everything was a-okay.
But I get it I expected too much. Don't flame me or tell me anymore I'm being an idiot because I get it. I was wrong. But thanks for all the input. Take care and be safe.

Flipping Bird

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Ecoboost Mustang 6MT
I think one of the things that didn't help was Ford gave me one or maybe two free oil changes, not the dealer. I've only used one but I'm pretty sure I have another setting there to be used. But with the dealer it was/is like as soon as I drove off the lot it was like don't come back unless you're buying another car.
And the techs are going to get paid for what ever they do that is a moot point. I'm taking about the dealer a small town dealer that I have history with. Bought two new vehicles in two years have all service, recalls and oil changes done by them. And I just wanted them to look at my car and tell me everything was a-okay.
But I get it I expected too much. Don't flame me or tell me anymore I'm being an idiot because I get it. I was wrong. But thanks for all the input. Take care and be safe.
I don't think you expected too much from a small town dealer, but I live in the Midwest. If I were you, I would have approached the sales manager (new car manager) after talking to the service advisor. Reminding the sales people who their good customers are is not a bad thing. Maybe ask to test drive something on the lot. You might get somewhere by pushing the sales staff. Good luck.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I think it's just a sign of the times. Everything is process and procedure. Nobody does anything that requires them to think or make a decision.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Do this, go in for the”Works” oil change, tire rotation fluid top off. They supposedly inspect 100 things...that should cost you about $50

Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I think some auto part places will do free codes checks on cars, not sure if thats what you are really after though.

TC

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
You're not an idiot. The dealer had the chance to keep an already loyal customer loyal and they lost (not that they care).
Some shops care about repeat customers, some don't. In a small town perhaps there are not so many other choices, but if there
are, I'd try another shop for the next couple of things/services, just to see if the other shop is any better or more appreciative of repeat customers.

rob_s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't expect a routine look around to be free unless it was negotiated when you bought the car. But the dealer by me does still offer free trips through the scratch and swirl machine and a vacuum every time you bring the car in, whether for routine maintenance, warranty repairs, or non-warranty repairs. I always decline.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I'm sorry , I don't think you are wrong. You have been a good customer and you have continued to go to this dealership, when your choices are unlimited. They should realize this and show a little appreciation for your devotion to their business. Everyone seems to be willing to pay what ever anyone asks for their products and services, no matter what the price. That's how we wind up with $1200 axle back exhaust systems., I mean really $1200 for 2 mufflers and 4 chrome or stainless tips? When did the price for a muffler become $600 ????? A little off track, but hey. They should take care of you. Return customers are worth nothing today?
It's obvious that you've never worked in product development. Jesus.

JR
Sponsored