Sponsored

Am I hearing what I am actually hearing?

jonrjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Premium GT, 2013 Taurus SHO, F-350 Crewcab FX4 Lariat 4x4
I came to my 2018 GT by way of a 2017 Ecoboost Mustang. The Ecoboost Mustangs have a piped in exhaust sound delivered to the cabin of the car. I guess it makes for a more aggressive non 4 cylinder turbo sound for the driver and guest.

Before I traded in my Ecoboost I had installed the Ford Performance Parts tune and intake calibration kit which disabled the piped in exhaust sound. In turn you could hear the deep growl of the intake in place of the fake exhaust.

My question is, is the exhaust sound that I hear in the interior of my stock new 2018 GT the true sound of the exhaust? Or am I hearing a programmed piped in exhaust sound via the audio speakers?

Thanks for the assist, Much appreciated.
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
These cars do have a sound tube/sound symposer, as do the Focus ST/RS. It’s not coming through your speakers though.

If you pop the hood, there’s a small tube that runs of the air intake into a square-ish box. That’s the sound tube.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
The sound tube adds a realistic and enjoyable sound to the cabin, in the stock configuration.

If you change a portion of the intake or exhaust system you are ultimately changing the engine harmonics/frequency, so the sound that is pumped into the cabin does sound as nice (IMO).

Sponsored

OP
OP
jonrjen

jonrjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks All.

I did do a search before asking the question, however it would seem that my choice of wording used for the search did not produce any results that applied.

I do plan to delete the tube as neither the noise nor the clutter is desired.

Guess since I'll be under the hood I may as well order and install a catch can at the same time...passenger side only.

Again, Thanks for the assist.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I believe in the GT you hear the exhaust- I can hear it in the back of the car. It is not piped in as it is on the Ecoboost Mustang, Focus and Fiesta ST. I can hear the sound tube in my Fiesta ST- it's kind of like a suction noise- can't say I like it or dis like it. I did not like the exhaust sound in it, or more like lack of exhaust sound so I put on a MBRP CAT back. Now it has real exhaust sound and I hear that more over the sound tube- and it helped the performance at upper RPM's and also the MPG- it really changed the car.

OP
OP
jonrjen

jonrjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe in the GT you hear the exhaust- I can hear it in the back of the car. It is not piped in as it is on the Ecoboost Mustang, Focus and Fiesta ST. I can hear the sound tube in my Fiesta ST- it's kind of like a suction noise- can't say I like it or dis like it. I did not like the exhaust sound in it, or more like lack of exhaust sound so I put on a MBRP CAT back. Now it has real exhaust sound and I hear that more over the sound tube- and it helped the performance at upper RPM's and also the MPG- it really changed the car.
Thank you for adding to the comparison between the Eco and the GT. I guess this difference between the sound box and the Eco piped in sounds is why many post that I read mentioned that the removal of the sound tube on the GT resulted in an almost negligible sound variation. Where as when I installed the FPP calibration kit on my Eco which deleted the piped in exhaust the interior sound went from fake to intake.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
The GT is literally piped in... although it's not exhaust sound. What gets piped into the cabin is intake sound. Same frequencies just without the same delta p.

The Ecoboost is synthesized.

Why

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Hope this is not considered a hijacking question.
Is their any downside to removing the tube and box on a 2019 GT?
I plan to order one, and would rather remove them.
Thanks.

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Hope this is not considered a hijacking question.
Is their any downside to removing the tube and box on a 2019 GT?
I plan to order one, and would rather remove them.
Thanks.
No. Just make sure to plug both holes.
The port in the intake duct is behind the filter, so you have to cap that off to prevent unfiltered air from entering your engine.
The hole in the firewall will let water & road grime into the cabin.

jpogi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Black Accent pkg
My question is, is the exhaust sound that I hear in the interior of my stock new 2018 GT the true sound of the exhaust? Or am I hearing a programmed piped in exhaust sound via the audio speakers?
The GT doesn’t have that speaker created sound. Aside from the sound tube, the sound you’re hearing is really from the quad tips exhaust.

The standard stock exhaust on the 2018+ GT is louder than the 2015+. Maybe they needed to free it up for the higher reving, slightly bigger displacement gen3 Cayote engine.
Sponsored