Am I way off base here?

oncewas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Okay so my one year of ownership comes to a close April 30, I've got less than 10k miles on the car. The car has performed flawlessly but nearing the one year mark I thought I’d see about taking the car in and have them check it out and make sure everything was work properly and check the alignment.

Okay I know things are vastly different now from when Dealers use to sweep out your car and wash it when returning it to you when you had service done (Ah the good old days of a bygone era). But I’ve bought two new vehicles from them in two years a 2017 4x4 F150 and then in 2019 my GT.

So I asked if they would do a one year diagnostic check to make sure there were no problems and the service manager said sure for $126.

“What? Really.”

“Well yeah I have to pay someone to do the checkup and I have to pass that cost on to you. I can’t do it for free.”

So okay I told no thanks. And my next vehicle would not be coming from them. Now this is a small town dealership so I expected a little more from them. Am I wrong? Do I live in a fantasy world? Is this the way it is now?

Thanks for hearing me out, I’m curious what everyone else thinks

Rex
Sponsored

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
I don't think it's unreasonable for the dealership to expect to be paid for services rendered.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
The warranty does not obligate Ford to perform routine maintenance for free. That needs to be performed either by the owner or a 3rd party. That said, you should have some service cash available from the Ford Pass App unless you used it up on oil changes.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
On top of what was already said, why would you ever trust a Dealer to wash your car?

Also what do you mean "now"? That is how I've known it to be for the last 30 years. Some dealers MAY toss in a free check up if you're doing other work, rotation/oil/wipers. ect but I would NEVER expect it.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Nothing good comes for free. For $126 I would expect a thorough inspection, for free? Not so much.

Sponsored

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If you don't have any warning lights, and you haven't noticed anything unusual on your gauges (running hot, etc.), strange noises, oil spots on the driveway, etc. there's probably nothing that really needs to be checked with such low mileage. (Assuming you are keeping up with the oil changes.) I wouldn't expect a typical Ford dealer to do anything for free (besides warranty work) unless they promised that to you when you bought the car. Some dealers offer perks like free oil changes, but I'm sure they factor that in when they are selling their cars.

OP
OP
oncewas

oncewas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Yeah got it. I was wrong to expect them to do anything for me with out paying them.

Wylie C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah got it. I was wrong to expect them to do anything for me with out paying them.
I'm sorry , I don't think you are wrong. You have been a good customer and you have continued to go to this dealership, when your choices are unlimited. They should realize this and show a little appreciation for your devotion to their business. Everyone seems to be willing to pay what ever anyone asks for their products and services, no matter what the price. That's how we wind up with $1200 axle back exhaust systems., I mean really $1200 for 2 mufflers and 4 chrome or stainless tips? When did the price for a muffler become $600 ????? A little off track, but hey. They should take care of you. Return customers are worth nothing today?

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
@oncewas i think you kind of said it yourself in your first post.. the ways of a bygone era. there are, unfortunately, no rewards for customer loyalty anymore. the customer is a dime a dozen, and if they (the dealership in this example) cant make money off of you, thats all well and good, they'll make money off the next guy who walks through the door..

they'll even give new customers a discount, and when the loyal customer inquires about discounts, they tell you there are none (ie: cable and phone companies)

the times a changin' my friend :frown:

Sponsored
OP
OP
oncewas

oncewas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Yeah I even had them do all my serice and oil changes on the F150 (which I did pay for all of them) then even had my daughter and Son-in-law go there to buy their truck.
And Dealers in small towns use to sweep out your car and wash them before returning them to you where I came from. But I wasn't asking for anyone to wash my GT I was making a point on the difference between whenI bought my first "new" car in 1976 and today. So thanks for proving my point.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
In working with 4 plus dealers in just past couple years they rarely (anymore) go above above and beyond once they have your money. Business is business. That’s why I do not budge an inch negotiating deals and never buy any extras period. Jmo.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Another view of this is that $126 is probably not even an hour of labor so you are probably not likely to get much of an inspection for that money. Look at the manual and do it yourself, it will probably be done better that way.

Reactions: kz

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Well Okay then. I am way off base. Thanks for putting me in my place.
You were - that's about normal price for diagnostic check - that's how dealerships make their money - however - especially early in the vehicle life - they barely do anything. Their checks is something you can easily do at home yourself, including oil change.
I quit taking cars to dealers unless it's a warranty repair. No reason to. I change fluids (engine / transmission / diff oil, brake fluid, coolant) myself, other maintenance items too. There is little else they do for routine maintenance.

OP
OP
oncewas

oncewas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Really I get it. I expected too much. It won't happen again. I do my own washing of the GT I did the same with the F150 and everyother vehicle I had before. I use to do my own oil changes but stopped when we went fulltiming living on the road in a 40 foot motor home. Since 2016 I've settled here in north central Florida but turning 70 this month I'm not goina try to crawl under the GT to change the oil. I took it back to the dealer for my first change at 5k and had the wheels rotated of course they wanted to put the rear wheels on the front. Good thing I was watching him before he mounted them.
And I understand Dealers are all about making money. They don't sale cars to make us happy and try to give us the "best" deals. I get all that. But my point is I've bought two "new" vehicles from them in the last two years and sent my daughter there to buy a used truck. To me loyalty is a two way street. Treat me like yoiu want me to come back to you not like you could care less where I buy my next vehicle. There's another Ford dealer thrity miles away in Lake City so if I am in the market for another vehile I'm going to start my search there.
Sponsored