Advice on buying 5.0?

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
There are too many speed disabled features that make it miserable to use without a passenger.
Curious, what are the features you're referring to?
Sponsored

Doug V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I found that exchanging the Sync system for aftermarket was going to gain no functionality except for DSP which I added at the amplifier level instead. I was going to loose the functionality of the screen climate controls and OEM fit and finish. I would have a smaller screen and the aftermarket install kits have a shoddy record of reliability on the climate controls. If you are going from a 4" you may value it otherwise but ultimately they price out about the same if you use a decent aftermarket with built in navigation.
I already have the Sync system so I would not want to loose the climate control and other functions. But it sounds like the car he is looking at has a basic system. So he would not loose much but gain a lot from an aftermarket system. Again, the Sync has many speed restricted function. And cost of a Sync upgrade will probably cost as much if not more than a good full screen aftermarket with navigation.

Doug V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Curious, what are the features you're referring to?
Depending on the year and version of the sync software, I have found that you cannot change anything in navigation until you come to a complete stop. Also I have a 32Gb usb drive with much music. It will play in shuffle mode but not allow you to switch to a specific song or artist. until you come to a stop. I discovered this on a long cross country drive. It became very annoying. When you poke around, you will see other things become greyed out. Pretty dumb seeing you can play pandora and switch songs from your phone, and you can even select to view incoming texts message on screen. I guess that is okay but switching songs or an artist is not.

Later versions of the software allow for changes as long as someone is in the passenger seat.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I even got a better deal ($1k off sticker) on the car that was in stock vs paying sticker on my custom order.
FWIW they gave me $1,000 off my custom order just cuz. I didn't even ask for it. šŸ˜³

Chomperr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT ; 2016 Mustang V6 (Sold)
Depending on the year and version of the sync software, I have found that you cannot change anything in navigation until you come to a complete stop. Also I have a 32Gb usb drive with much music. It will play in shuffle mode but not allow you to switch to a specific song or artist. until you come to a stop. I discovered this on a long cross country drive. It became very annoying. When you poke around, you will see other things become greyed out. Pretty dumb seeing you can play pandora and switch songs from your phone, and you can even select to view incoming texts message on screen. I guess that is okay but switching songs or an artist is not.

Later versions of the software allow for changes as long as someone is in the passenger seat.
People still carry around flash drives of music to listen to? Unless youā€™re listening to some obscure weird stuff then Spotify/Apple music or any of the music streaming apps from your phone work perfectly as you already described.

As someone who lived with the base 4 inch calculator screen for years, Iā€™d take Sync 3 all day. It wouldnā€™t even up for debate.

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red

It blocks long text readouts and keyboard inputs but so do all aftermarket units now. Too many idiots fiddling with screens and crashing their cars. Aftermarket units also contain a gyro interlock before someone says to ground the parking brake lead. Also, don't be that guy. If something does happen and it turns out you bypassed the safety interlocks you will look worse than a Cars and Coffee crowd surfing car.

Doug V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
People still carry around flash drives of music to listen to? Unless youā€™re listening to some obscure weird stuff then Spotify/Apple music or any of the music streaming apps from your phone work perfectly as you already described.

As someone who lived with the base 4 inch calculator screen for years, Iā€™d take Sync 3 all day. It wouldnā€™t even up for debate.
Come on dude. Have you ever driven out of service reception?

Doug V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
It blocks long text readouts and keyboard inputs but so do all aftermarket units now. Too many idiots fiddling with screens and crashing their cars. Aftermarket units also contain a gyro interlock before someone says to ground the parking brake lead. Also, don't be that guy. If something does happen and it turns out you bypassed the safety interlocks you will look worse than a Cars and Coffee crowd surfing car.
Don't get pissed because I say this as a joke. I know most people can't walk and chew gum at the same time I have been in other systems from BMW Audi, Doge, Chevy and have not seen such a lock down. Ford is the pinnacle of this. Again. I don't care what you do on your sync system. There are other speed restricted function beyond listening to music. My comment is that Ford is locked down way more than any other systems.

I am commenting on the person asking if they should buy a car with a basic system. I gave my 2 cents to why aftermarket could be better that Sync. If you have it, keep it. If you don't then maybe choose something else.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
My comment is that Ford is locked down way more than any other systems.
then you CLEARLY have not used a 2019+ VW system. You want to talk about lock out, VW takes the cake by a MILE vs Ford's extremely minor limitations.

The 4" performs better than Sync3. It's voice recognition is noticeably better. the Sync3 maps are horrendous in touch UI behavior and your 5 year old smart phone is vastly more capable than the screen. The problem with S3 is the $2000 up-charge which is plain nuts.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Don't get pissed because I say this as a joke. I know most people can't walk and chew gum at the same time I have been in other systems from BMW Audi, Doge, Chevy and have not seen such a lock down. Ford is the pinnacle of this. Again. I don't care what you do on your sync system. There are other speed restricted function beyond listening to music. My comment is that Ford is locked down way more than any other systems.

I am commenting on the person asking if they should buy a car with a basic system. I gave my 2 cents to why aftermarket could be better that Sync. If you have it, keep it. If you don't then maybe choose something else.
I'm not pissed, and I've asked the same questions myself on aftermarket vs Sync I've just come to a different conclusion. I've also answered the interlock question more times than I'd like to count. Never in my professional career did I bypass a safety system for a customer and I maintain my stance on that today. Ironically, after my career in car stereos I was nearly killed by a distracted driver in a terrible accident. Guess Karma doesnt always pay off but I'm lucky to be alive and my position on those systems is still ironclad.

Sponsored

Chomperr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT ; 2016 Mustang V6 (Sold)
Come on dude. Have you ever driven out of service reception?
Nowhere that I would drive a Mustang out to.

Sync 3 would also be better when you go to sell or trade in as itā€™s oem.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge

If you have Forscan you can turn off that setting to wear to can change stuff while in motion.
I hated it too playing music off my thumb drive or entering a nav destination and it was faded out.

Works great now.

Last edited:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah Iā€™d order and wait. Makes no sense to buy used these days. The only time Iā€™d buy a 4cylinder turbo is for my VW GTI I just bought. Fun car.
This

Doug V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
If you have Forscan you can turn off that setting to wear to can change stuff while in motion.
I hated it too playing music off my thumb drive or entering a nav destination and it was faded out.

Works great now.
Do you remember which to change? I have been looking for that.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I can say 100% for certain 99% of good looking university or college educated women anywhere within 100 miles of ocean hate V8s and Harleys haha.
Not sure about the ocean qualification, but what many women hate is loud. A modified, high volume exhaust on a 4 or 6 cylinder car will get the same reaction.
Sponsored