Sponsored

Advice: Buying a car out of state?

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
I'm probably going to be traveling at least 700 miles to make a purchase. The airfare isn't a concern (I fly for free which Is a huge plus). Any advice anyone can give me about any extra hoops you have to jump through, fees, financing an out of state car, correspondence w the dealership etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I paid cash for my S197 Stang,that way you save a lot of problems with the banks and tax issues,paid right there and your on your way,I would only pay cash, otherwise forget it, or get one close to your home, have seen way to many problems with the pay over time, and out of state ,pay cash and drive with a smile when you cross into your home state debt free.

BlackS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 black s550 PP
if theres a difference in the amount of tax you pay there vs your state of residence, they will make you pay that. at least thats how it is here. luckily arizona apparently had same tax rate so it was a wash when i registered it in cali

ColdShotxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT A10 300A Base
I purchased my S550 out of state. They just collected my states 6% tax, instead of their state's 9+%. For me, the dealer licensed the car, then send off for title transfer and then send paperwork to my state's DMV, DMV sent registration and plates back to dealership and then sent to me. Took about 40 days total.

Get everything in writing(email) before you buy airfare and are on your way, just in case there is no misunderstandings. "Total price" sometimes isn't the total price, ect..

Ford rebate incentives are not instant from another state, so Ford just mails them to you in a form of a check. Make sure to bringn all that is needed for incentives(i had to bring utility bill and proof of graduation for my rebates).

My one hangup was that I bank at credit union only in my state, my downpayment wasn't going to clear same day, only option was to finance 100%. Luckly, I was able to get my credit union on the phone after hours and extend my visa max to cover downpayment.

I left at 6am flew in, and drove back 550miles, home for dinner. All in all, I would do it all over again. All dealers in my state were at $24.5, I got into mine at $19.9K after rebates so it was well worth the extra hassle!

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
I'm probably going to be traveling at least 700 miles to make a purchase. The airfare isn't a concern (I fly for free which Is a huge plus). Any advice anyone can give me about any extra hoops you have to jump through, fees, financing an out of state car, correspondence w the dealership etc...

I purchased my car from a family friend dealership in a different state to avoid dealership hassle. If you tell them upfront you live in a different state and you will be registering the vehicle in that state they do most of the paperwork for you and charge you correct taxes upfront. They will file everything and you can walk into your states DMV and be done in a matter of minutes.

Sponsored

GT-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I also have set up to purchase mine from an out of state dealer. I placed my order in February and will be picking him up once he arrives at the dealer in about 2 weeks. I am torn between flying to pick it up or having it transported to me. I go back and forth on this every hour. I was able to set it up so I would be paying my own state tax (1.5% less) as well as the tag and title transferred to my state.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I bought my car out of state as well. I went to the dealership and put down $500 to order the car. When car came in 7 weeks later i paid for car, 3% SD sales tax, documentation fee and $180 for tag and license fee. After about 3 weeks got my plates in the mail from my DMV. I ended up getting money back due to the $180 was too much. Dealership estimated tag and license fee. It was pretty much a easy painless process.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I live in SC and bought in GA. It's painless like others have said. I would make sure the finance/sales managers All know in advance what state you are a resident of. If you are a few states away, and they rarely sell to your states residents, they won't know tax and title rules for your state. It will cost YOU time if they have to figure it out while you sit in the showroom. Get all that straight in advance. They should be able to tell you all the pricing and tax and tag before you ever get on the plane.

GT-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I live in SC and bought in GA. It's painless like others have said. I would make sure the finance/sales managers All know in advance what state you are a resident of. If you are a few states away, and they rarely sell to your states residents, they won't know tax and title rules for your state. It will cost YOU time if they have to figure it out while you sit in the showroom. Get all that straight in advance. They should be able to tell you all the pricing and tax and tag before you ever get on the plane.
Where did you purchase from in GA?

OP
OP
PRG3k

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Wow, lots of good info. The biggest question is the financing. If I finance through my bank (national chain) I should be ok. But if I get a better rate at a local credit union...that seems to be the tricky part.

Mr Monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
6 years ago I bought a car out of state from a dealer & had them deliver it to my house. They were only 300 miles away. They did all the paperwork & I had a cashiers check waiting for them when they arrived. Ended up being a very pleasant experience.
Sponsored