Sponsored

About to mod...having second thoughts...

inspecto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have the PP2 on mine for 2yrs now with no complaints. It runs very well , no drivability issues. I installed myself as was not to concerned with warranty. All Ford stealers in my area suck!!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you thought the warranty was about done and were prepared to mod knowing you would be responsible if something broke. So, I guess my question is what changed? You would still be responsible if something broke with the warranty. If your finances allow, have some fun. If money is tight and this is your only car, maybe keep it stock.

Keep in mind I have twin turbos, 18 intake manifold, Fore triple pump setup on e85. Lol. I may not be the voice of reason.
Haha yeah that's exactly what happened. I though the warrant was about to expire, then discovered not only does it have a 5 year powertrain, but it's a certified vehicle and it actually has an 84month/100k extended powertrain warranty on it. I can't just void that, well I could, but...lol Not my only car, third vehicle that sits in the garage and gets maybe 1k miles a year. That said, I don't wanna be paying for engines etc. Got other shit to pay for.

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the PP2 on mine for 2yrs now with no complaints. It runs very well , no drivability issues. I installed myself as was not to concerned with warranty. All Ford stealers in my area suck!!!
Yeah interesting. As for installation, I'd really love to do it myself. I'm just concerned about losing the warranty. My local dealer said they would charge 3 hours at 125.00 an hour, not to bad. However, they just called me back and want $1000 for the dang kit! Said I had to buy from them to install there. I wonder if it has to be done by a ford tech, or can any ASE cert do it to retain the warranty.

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just FYI, at least as of a year ago the FP power packs were covered by FP up to 3/36 from original purchase. The car will be considered modded afterwards like any other mod. You won’t be covered for 5/60 by FP.

having said that, I loved PP3 while I had it, and people seem happy with PP2...torquier than stock and near 18+ power. As long as you’re OK with 91 only. It’s probably a conservative tune and should be reasonably reliable.
Whoa, so your saying it wouldn't even matter really after the 3/36 which is what expires next month, and was why I was planning the FBO route.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Whoa, so your saying it wouldn't even matter really after the 3/36 which is what expires next month, and was why I was planning the FBO route.
That was the case when I bought mine. I haven’t paid attention in a little while but go to the FP website PP2 page and look at the warranty link. Unless they’ve changed something it’s 3/36 from the cars original purchase date.

Sponsored

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
....and, it doesn’t void the original 5/60 warranty from Ford, but WILL count as an engine mod. Then it’s up to Ford and your dealer whether a problem you have down the road is covered. Yes, I know, M-M Act but I don’t know how much of a headache it would be to fight on those grounds.

Stick with your car (mostly) as-is if the warranty is really important to you. If you’re willing to take a chance, ditch the warranty and have fun like the rest of us. Depends on your situation. My 17 has 15K miles and zero warranty now, but I don’t depend on it as a daily.

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That was the case when I bought mine. I haven’t paid attention in a little while but go to the FP website PP2 page and look at the warranty link. Unless they’ve changed something it’s 3/36 from the cars original purchase date.
As usual the it's all in how you read it. My interpretation is that the FRPP PP2 parts themselves are covered under the original 3/36 from the service operation date. However in that second paragraph it's almost like they are saying warranty issues that can't be tied back to the PP2 are still covered, but only if not related to PP2 installation.
1600460496486.png

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
....and, it doesn’t void the original 5/60 warranty from Ford, but WILL count as an engine mod. Then it’s up to Ford and your dealer whether a problem you have down the road is covered. Yes, I know, M-M Act but I don’t know how much of a headache it would be to fight on those grounds.

Stick with your car (mostly) as-is if the warranty is really important to you. If you’re willing to take a chance, ditch the warranty and have fun like the rest of us. Depends on your situation. My 17 has 15K miles and zero warranty now, but I don’t depend on it as a daily.
Awesome thanks man. I don't depend on it as a daily either, mine barely get 1k miles a year, just now up to 7500.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The FRPP PP2 (I like mine, by the way) only retains the warranty if it is installed by a Ford dealer.
complete bunk. The only criteria is that an ASE certified technician does it.

If you're worried about Ford warranty by both the Ford Perforance tune and an aftermarket. Then just flash the Ford one back on when taking it to the dealer. :)

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
As usual the it's all in how you read it. My interpretation is that the FRPP PP2 parts themselves are covered under the original 3/36 from the service operation date. However in that second paragraph it's almost like they are saying warranty issues that can't be tied back to the PP2 are still covered, but only if not related to PP2 installation.
1600460496486.png
That’s all true, just know that you’re taking a bit of a chance. The PP2 won’t void the original warranty, and if something breaks after the FP warranty expires and it’s not related to the mod, you’re still covered under 5/60. But it’s a subjective call. If it’s the water pump they don’t have a leg to stand on. If it’s, say, a valvetrain component, that wasn’t modified but the dealer/Ford might say the additional stress and wear from the mod may have caused it. It’s BS but this is how they talk. Then you have to fight them and or Ford and that would be a major pain. And the same could be said for non-FP mods.

Speak to your dealer and get a feel for them and if they have experience with modded cars via FP. But in my opinion if you want to mod there’s little benefit for you at this point to go FP because of its warranty. There are big benefits because it’s a well-designed, OEM quality modification by people who know what they’re doing.

Sponsored

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Awesome thanks man. I don't depend on it as a daily either, mine barely get 1k miles a year, just now up to 7500.
Then you have much less risk of problems if you have a well-designed mod and treat your car well. If you have the itch, you should go for it. But your risk level is higher of course. I went for it and love it!

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
complete bunk. The only criteria is that an ASE certified technician does it.

If you're worried about Ford warranty by both the Ford Perforance tune and an aftermarket. Then just flash the Ford one back on when taking it to the dealer. :)
Unfortunately they can tell that flash events have happened, even if it’s now stock, and it’s grounds for denial.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Applying the FP tune by definition will show up in the counter. So you tried it with and without a couple times before settling on 'with'. The counter alone is not cause for warranty denial. Heck, if Ford released a TSB that required installing a new map, that would increment the counter as well.

Now if they pull the internal datalog and the tune that was active at the time was doing bad things and FP can prove their tune is incapable of breaching certain value ranges, THEN you'll get the baleful eye of the warranty judge saying "yeah sure, pull the other one".

If you mod and blow up your motor, it's a good idea to assume it's coming out of your pocket. I have all my motors tuned within mere weeks of purchase. And my Unleashed Tunes work fantastic and increase my enjoyment of the engine. Do they make more power on a dyno? Can't care less. I care about delivery and response. Pick a known good tuner and there is very small chance of it coming back to bite. Once you get a taste of a proper tune, you'll never go back to the shit Ford puts in their vehicles.
Sponsored

Last edited: