Sponsored

About to mod...having second thoughts...

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
So I’m literally about to purchase items in my cart, but have really been reading over the last 24 hours about folks and warranty issues.

Im a little worried now about the car and the warranty post mods. I know that my original plan (18 mani, LTHs, tune) would void the 5 year powertrain warranty. I was actually thinking the car (17) was about to be out of its warranty (assuming 3 years) but then I researched that it came factory with a 5 year powertrain warranty. Ugh.

I’m now just considering the FRPP PP2 to keep the warranty, then maybe getting some lighter wheels. Thoughts? I really didn’t want that damn NLS strategy though, heard it sucks.
Sponsored

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Go for it. The NLS only kicks in in the upper rpm range. Normal daily and spirited driving are not an issue with it. At least on my '17. The only time I feel it is when I'm at the track and have the car wound up. Otherwise no issue at all.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Enjoy it first for a few thousand miles. Then mod it.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
So I’m literally about to purchase items in my cart, but have really been reading over the last 24 hours about folks and warranty issues.

Im a little worried now about the car and the warranty post mods. I know that my original plan (18 mani, LTHs, tune) would void the 5 year powertrain warranty. I was actually thinking the car (17) was about to be out of its warranty (assuming 3 years) but then I researched that it came factory with a 5 year powertrain warranty. Ugh.

I’m now just considering the FRPP PP2 to keep the warranty, then maybe getting some lighter wheels. Thoughts? I really didn’t want that damn NLS strategy though, heard it sucks.
As always depends on dealer. We have two dealers here and one is all no to bad and the other is mods who cares. They literally told me unless ford wants pictures of something they don't care what mods are on it as they just want the warranty work. And if Ford is pushy about anything they will call and let you know to take the mods off before you bring it back. Either way they are gonna fix it. He told me dealers turning down free money from warranty work because of mods is the Dumbest thing and they dont care. So guess where all modded mustangs go LOL. Just something to think about.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
This is real simple. Can you afford to incur the cost of any repairs not covered by a warranty? If yes, are you willing to do so? If yes, go ahead and do want you want. The odds are good that nothing bad will happen.

But, the fact that your “worried” leads me to believe that you might want to stay with warranty friendly mods until after your warranty runs out.

It‘s all about risk vs. reward. Only you can decide how much risk you’re willing to accept.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
As always depends on dealer. We have two dealers here and one is all no to bad and the other is mods who cares. They literally told me unless ford wants pictures of something they don't care what mods are on it as they just want the warranty work. And if Ford is pushy about anything they will call and let you know to take the mods off before you bring it back. Either way they are gonna fix it. He told me dealers turning down free money from warranty work because of mods is the Dumbest thing and they dont care. So guess where all modded mustangs go LOL. Just something to think about.
Good points but dealers can change. A mod friendly dealer today may become a nightmare 6 months from now. OP really has to evaluate his aversion to risk before moving forward. Once he makes his decision to move forward he can discuss his mods with a dealer.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
I have run the PowerPack 2 on my '16 GT/PP for going on 3 yrs now. Its "warranty" friendly (though NOTHING voids your warranty, they can deny a claim but NOT void it). The NLS works great and I have NEVER had an issue with it EVER. I went with the PowerPack 2 for the very reason - Ford Performance subrogates the drive train warranty - so no worries about a denied claim. Can you get more power with a 3rd party tune - yup...but if you are worried about warranty coverage you can get bit.

Edit - above post is partially correct, FP only takes on the warranty if installed by an ASE certified mechanic and you can document that (that is right in my install book). I was given mine as a gift and had my local Ford Dealer do the install - was like 2.5hrs labor so under $500

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
I have run the PowerPack 2 on my '16 GT/PP for going on 3 yrs now. Its "warranty" friendly (though NOTHING voids your warranty, they can deny a claim but NOT void it). The NLS works great and I have NEVER had an issue with it EVER. I went with the PowerPack 2 for the very reason - Ford Performance subrogates the drive train warranty - so no worries about a denied claim. Can you get more power with a 3rd party tune - yup...but if you are worried about warranty coverage you can get bit.

Edit - above post is partially correct, FP only takes on the warranty if installed by an ASE certified mechanic and you can document that (that is right in my install book). I was given mine as a gift and had my local Ford Dealer do the install - was like 2.5hrs labor so under $500
You have a better Ford dealer than I do, apparently! :like:

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Personally I live to mod but I 1. Have another car in case I break it (isn't my daily) 2. If the car is expensive I do warranty friendly mods 3. Buy cars out of warranty on the cheap (comparatively) and mod the ever living fuck out of it. 4. Set aside money for repairs.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
You Mustang guys are just mod happy. Not a judgement, just an observation.

It's worked out well for me, as I've been able to buy some second-hand mods much cheaper, as you crazy people keep upgrading and changing and upgrading. LOL

I'm one of those guys who prefers to not do powertrain mods because of warranty, drivability and just general reliability issues. But that's me, I skew conservative and I know (first hand) what a slippery slope that can be.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I'm one of those guys who prefers to not do powertrain mods because of warranty, drivability and just general reliability issues. But that's me, I skew conservative and I know (first hand) what a slippery slope that can be.
I'm with you. I consider doing mods to my GT, but I always have second thoughts for the reasons you mentioned. However, my BMW is old enough and not particularly valuable any more, so it is slowly getting performance mods... whenever my son-in-law is inclined to do them.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Sounds like you thought the warranty was about done and were prepared to mod knowing you would be responsible if something broke. So, I guess my question is what changed? You would still be responsible if something broke with the warranty. If your finances allow, have some fun. If money is tight and this is your only car, maybe keep it stock.

Keep in mind I have twin turbos, 18 intake manifold, Fore triple pump setup on e85. Lol. I may not be the voice of reason.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
What does NLS mean?

Anyways....it's highly doubtful you'd damage anything with LTHs and a tune. As long as it's a mild tune. Not one that runs on the ragged edge.

But, I'd bet the FP Power Pack 2 will give you the same results, and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Just FYI, at least as of a year ago the FP power packs were covered by FP up to 3/36 from original purchase. The car will be considered modded afterwards like any other mod. You won’t be covered for 5/60 by FP.

having said that, I loved PP3 while I had it, and people seem happy with PP2...torquier than stock and near 18+ power. As long as you’re OK with 91 only. It’s probably a conservative tune and should be reasonably reliable.
Sponsored