5 O UFO

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
More likely the evaporator is leaking. Only way to know is to have the whole A/C leak tested.
Back to Ohio may require the defrost to work. If it is low, I am considering a can of refrigerant to fill it for the way home. With the whining noise coming from the engine area when the compressor is engaged, I am curious if the compressor can make the trip.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Back to Ohio may require the defrost to work. If it is low, I am considering a can of refrigerant to fill it for the way home. With the whining noise coming from the engine area when the compressor is engaged, I am curious if the compressor can make the trip.
Probably a good idea. A recharging with a kit is pretty easy to do, just look for a few YouTube videos on how to do it. I wouldn't get a recharge kit with sealant though if you need to get it fixed down the line by the dealer under warranty.

Deleted member 35786

I am down in Florida on vacation and started having some trouble with defrost setting working correctly. I also have a whining sound almost like a faint turbo whine that started at the same time. A/C is working intermittently and the whining sound seems to only happen when the A/C compressor is engaged. I am thinking that this looks like the schrader valve could be leaking on my 17GT and I now have low refrigerant. Can someone please confirm that this is what leaking refrigerant would look like? Google images is not much help on this and I m hoping someone else has seen this. In addition is this the high pressure side (Service port)?

fa4jfc.jpg
If its on warranty take it in ASAP and have Ford repair it for free. Good luck on limping it back to Ohio and keep a can of refrigerant with you in case it leaks out. At least you will only need Heat there. :)

Cavpilot2k

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW 135i (modded)
UNless I'm missing something, it's December tomorrow - I'm sure you can live without AC for a while now.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
UNless I'm missing something, it's December tomorrow - I'm sure you can live without AC for a while now.
Living in Phoenix I have no idea how important defrost is where it freezes, but doesn't A/C also dry the air used for defrost?

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Living in Phoenix I have no idea how important defrost is where it freezes, but doesn't A/C also dry the air used for defrost?
Yes it does, by cooling down the evaporator which then freezes the moisture on the evaporator's surfaces (ie, dries out the air in the cabin).

5 O UFO

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
Drive back to Ohio was interesting. Got back last night. Had to leave the windows cracked a little during the rain through GA. But, we made it and it was largely uneventful. Didn’t add any refrigerant. Didn’t even buy any. I just didn’t use the defrost or AC.

Today, I start the car and decide to try the defrost again... no noises and works perfectly... though it was a fluke, so I used it all day and night tonight. I am at a complete loss for what is really happening with this freaking thing! How can this be?

Only thing I could even guess at was the altitude difference. In Florida we were about 10-15 feet above sea level. Here in Ohio we are roughly 600-700. Is there a pressure diffence at a different altitude that could cause this? Outside of this, I have zero explanation.

Anyway, I went ahead and made an appointment at King’s Ford in Mason to have it checked out. Service Advisor said that they have definitely done several of these and they knew what to look for.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Today, I start the car and decide to try the defrost again... no noises and works perfectly... though it was a fluke, so I used it all day and night tonight. I am at a complete loss for what is really happening with this freaking thing! How can this be?
You may just be lucky. Mine did the same thing in the summer of 2016. Typical symptoms. Since so much is computer controlled, I disconnected the battery for a few hours (however long something else I was doing took) before taking it to the dealer. When I reconnected the battery, the AC worked fine and has continued to do so. So in my case (and hopefully yours), it was a temporary software problem fixed by a cold boot.

BoostedNate

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
So I've got a very slow evap leak at 50k miles. Has anyone had luck getting Ford to cover replacement this late in the game? I worry about trying to use the sealant because it can clog up other AC components.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I've got a very slow evap leak at 50k miles. Has anyone had luck getting Ford to cover replacement this late in the game? I worry about trying to use the sealant because it can clog up other AC components.
Doubt Ford would help out ... but can't hurt to contact them and try since it's a well known issue.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Call the Ford 800# and ask for a Supervisor, then explain your concern... this is a well known issue within Ford, as they have the TSB on it.... so even if they won’t cover the whole repair, you may get lucky and they’ll cover most of the cost (some in this very thread have had “help” by calling where they did not have to pay full repair cost).

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
My AC is failing on my 2016 GT at 36K. Fortunately it has Ford PremiumCare 7yrs/100K mi ext warranty. Appointment set for Monday.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
At 6k my A/C went out during a road trip. I immediately shut it off to save the compressor, figuring it was the evaporator core leak issue (even though the compressor should shut off itself at low line pressure).

Just got my car back from the dealer and it turns out the system was full of freon with no discernible leak, but the compressor had totally lunched itself. New compressor, fresh freon fill, new belt, and with any luck it'll either work indefinitely or fail again before the warranty runs out.

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
Does anyone have tips about how to get Ford to help with repair costs for evaporator/compressor replacement when A/C has failed?

Deleted member 35786

Does anyone have tips about how to get Ford to help with repair costs for evaporator/compressor replacement when A/C has failed?
All the information and answers to your questions are buried in this thread... Call Ford and see what they can do outside of warranty... If not, be prepared to pony up (no pun intended) around $1500 just for evap core replacement.
Sponsored