A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
Sorry if this is a repeat question, Are the replacement Evaporator's the same faulty units or are they different? What are the part numbers for bad/good Evaporators? I had my 2015 replace early in 2018.
You should have one of, if not the newest revision.
Sponsored

x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Mustang GT m6
Mine was done earlier this year and is a “W” I think the newest I have seen is a “Y”

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
Mine was done earlier this year and is a “W” I think the newest I have seen is a “Y”
W is for single panel controls. Y is for dual a/c systems. Both appear to be the latest parts.

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
I’ve attached internal Ford quality controls for a/c problems specifically for the 5.2ltr GT350 engine. Ford’s technician provided a copy to me after an inspection of the repair by the dealer. I’ve never seen these posted anywhere or publicly. This inspection resulted after I sued because of 2 evap replacements and 1 compressor replacement.

Ford’s expert determined that the dealer had not fully drained the refrigerant lines before improperly overfilling the system with the refrigerant. Either the line had air or it had more refrigerant than it was supposed to. High pressures in the compressor given ambient temperature and the low line reading led to this conclusion.

The papers I’ve attached reflect that the dealer royally screwed up during the repair. Symptoms? Intermittent a/c operation and is not cooling enough when it’s hot outside or during traffic jams.

Attachments

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Mine goes back in this week. Blows cool air, but not enough to lower the cabin temperature much in AZ. I think the system is underfilled after replacing the compressor, but leaving it in the dealers hands.

That said, I'll likely cross 24k mi today, so buyback/lemon is coming off the table. I think from a hassle standpoint it doesn't change anything and the dealer seems eager to get the repair done (along with a Ford case open).

I will lose my mind if they say its normal operating at this point.
Same exact issue. I think there is a possibility of it being over serviced however. Under serviced can actually make it kick ass cold, and freezing the evap. Too under serviced, and the compressor will not kick on. Dunno. But ever since compressor was replaced, it takes forever to get cool air, often not until I am at the destination. Sucks, Ford should be deeply embarrassed by this, instead they are shoving up our ass. Get the extended warranty, but even then, you are a bit at the mercy of the service dept.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I’ve attached internal Ford quality controls for a/c problems
From the document:

If the vehicle has an Air Conditioning (A/C) switch or compressor on switch, set it to Air Conditioning (A/C) ON.
I'm a little concerned that it did not also include instructions to breath in and breath out repeatedly while performing the procedure.

thashow2k1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT BAse
Just got mine back yesterday after having the evap replaced. Blows cold at all times again. If you're having this issue slightly out of warranty (I was at about 43K), possibly try my process. Called customer service to report the issue and voice my concern about it being common. They told me to take it to a dealer, so I took it to a dealer with the best reviews and talked to a few different managers (gave me a idea of their personality). I chose to go to Veterans Ford in Tampa. Got the inspection for $100ish, called customer service back, reported the findings and then everything went through the service manager. During this whole process, I was cordial and the service manager was a generally good guy. Got the approval from Ford and I only paid $267 for a $1800 repair. I'm sure it's case by case, but I think not being pissed to them about it verbally helps. I'll also be trading it in soon lol

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Misery loves company, so....

TLDR: My evap core died too.

Well, add me to the list of failed evaporators. My '17 has just shy of 24K miles on it. Over the weekend I started experiencing the common hot air on the drivers' side/cold air on passenger side issue. I was already familiar with this evaporator issue from reading this thread in the past. I lurk more than I post. :ninja:

Took it to the dealer, described the problem and quickly added "And I'm aware this is a common issue with the 2015+ Mustangs." Service writer was pretty frank. He said "Yep, we replace about half a dozen a week and have 4 Mustangs getting new evap cores right now."

The fact that my dealer has done dozens of these replacements made me feel better as I was VERY concerned after seeing the pictures of what they have to remove to get at the evap core. :eyebulge: I am really OCD with my car, so I'm worried about things not working/rattles after they put it back together, but do feel better knowing my car isn't the first they've done this on.

FWIW, on the way out of the lot I drove around back to look at the service bays. Saw three 6Gs not on lifts and with their hoods up, which means not much, but makes me feel better.

Hopefully the replacement part is improved over the original and this is a one-time thing. I did purchase the top-line extended warranty directly through the dealer when I bought the car, so even if it goes out again in the next couple of years I should be covered.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
After reading about repeated failures on the same car, I'm starting to wonder if the issue is really with the evap or is it somewhere else in the system? Is the evap the weak link in the system that blows like a fuse?

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
From what I've read, the original evaporator were basically built like crap and they die in a very short amount of time. My car is in it's 2nd Texas summer (which is 6-7 months long down here), so I'm amazed that it didn't die last year when the car was new. Allegedly, the replacement part is improved. Allegedly. We'll see what happens. I'm just worried about rattles/non-functioning things after they put it back together. When it's done, I'm not signing anything until I test every light, button and function in the car.

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
From what I've read, the original evaporator were basically built like crap and they die in a very short amount of time. My car is in it's 2nd Texas summer (which is 6-7 months long down here), so I'm amazed that it didn't die last year when the car was new. Allegedly, the replacement part is improved. Allegedly. We'll see what happens. I'm just worried about rattles/non-functioning things after they put it back together. When it's done, I'm not signing anything until I test every light, button and function in the car.
What information is there on the improved Evaporator? I had mine replaced 2-2018 with the V part number, how is it different than the original unit? Is it manufactured by a different vendor or the same vendor? What changes have been made to correct the defective Evaporator?

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
@Magnneto: Nothing definitive that I've found online engineering-wise. Just comments I've read here and other forums from service writers/parts counter people that have said "the part is different/doesn't break like the original part." That's why I wrote "allegedly." I don't believe everything I read, either. :shrug: So we'll see what happens. I'm dropping the car off on Monday and it's supposed to be ready next Saturday 7/21.

I'm just glad the whole repair is covered under warranty and in my case, the original factory warranty. I am very glad I bought the extended warranty though! For the few bucks a month it adds to the monthly payment, the peace of mind is worth it. I would hate to be in the position of getting rid of a car I really, really like "because the warranty ran out" simply because of a known AC issue that costs $1.5K+ to fix every time it goes out...and the car is down for 3+ days at a time. I feel for those folks. :(

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
@Magnneto: Nothing definitive that I've found online engineering-wise. Just comments I've read here and other forums from service writers/parts counter people that have said "the part is different/doesn't break like the original part." That's why I wrote "allegedly." I don't believe everything I read, either. :shrug: So we'll see what happens. I'm dropping the car off on Monday and it's supposed to be ready next Saturday 7/21.

I'm just glad the whole repair is covered under warranty and in my case, the original factory warranty. I am very glad I bought the extended warranty though! For the few bucks a month it adds to the monthly payment, the peace of mind is worth it. I would hate to be in the position of getting rid of a car I really, really like "because the warranty ran out" simply because of a known AC issue that costs $1.5K+ to fix every time it goes out...and the car is down for 3+ days at a time. I feel for those folks. :(
The pain is real for us non warranty folks. The blower motor on my car is acting up now (replaced evap core last December) and I'm stuck here waiting until the Genesis G70 is released so I can dump this car. I've owned 2 Ford products in my life, and both have had multiple A/C issues.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I know it's rough for the folks that are out of warranty...I firmly believe that something like an evap core should be 100K-mile part and it's just sh!t engineering to have thousands of them fail anywhere from brand-new to a couple years old.

Along the lines of "Ford products with AC issues" I had a 2012 Focus sedan...laugh all you want....but I got 35MPG on a bad week. At about 50K miles the compressor clutch went out which blew a bunch of fuses/relays, some seal in the compressor and actually somehow burned part of a wiring harness too. Who buys an extended warranty on a $15K car? I didn't. That was a $900 repair.

The AC was still blowing ice-cold when I sold it at 110K miles however. :headbonk:

Most vehicles from any manufacturer have issues of some kind unique to the model/year. Years ago I had an Isuzu Trooper that had a GM tranny in it and it ate transmissions left and right for some reason. Probably a crap GM part. I know certain years of BMW 3-series are known for going through the mechanisms that control variable valve timing (or something like that). Most vehicles have an Achilles Heel and I guess the HVAC system is it for the 6G Mustang. Sucks for those of us living in the land of eternal summer in the south/southwest.

baseballrules46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
My evap is out at 6300 miles on my 2016. I'm so thankful that I still have two months left on my warranty. It's on back-order, maybe within a few weeks I'm told.
Sponsored