Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I just got my car back this weekend. It took my dealer 4 days to get it done, including the day I dropped it off at 7:00AM. Didn't care about how long it took; just wanted it done correctly.

My receipt says "Perform TSB 182166, replaced evap core, need to remove the complete dash and evac and recharge system." The part they used was FR3Z-19860-B. The AC is cold and I have zero squeaking from the dash area and everything works. However, the shift boot chrome plastic trim ring isn't seated correctly. Didn't notice that until I got home. I'll be installing an MGW when I have time, so I'll fix it then. Not worth bringing it back to the dealer for that.

ps
Hot on the passenger side and cold/coldish on the driver's side is the classic symptom. I would NOT run your AC anymore until you get it fixed. If the compressor gets damaged it should be covered under the warranty too, but why chance giving the dealer anything to hem and haw about? If your AC isn't totally out yet, it soon will be.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
So at a car meet a '18 ecoboost had to have his replaced with 8xx miles on the clock, and a '16 GT350 his is leaking to. wonder if some 18's are still using the old evap core design or if the new version leaks as well?

robrichtx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/performance package
Just a quick note for anyone subscribed to this thread. My dealer (after some bullshit hemming and hawing, including telling me that I needed tint (told him to get bent)), performed the service, removed the dash, and put in the new core. THat was a little over a year ago and all seems well. We'll see - it was 110 here in Austin yesterday. AC still blows cold and I can't complain about it. It seems like Ford has reliable fix.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Same here. Had my a/c fixed a year ago and it still blows ice cold. And it's boiling outside. Fingers crossed :fingerscrossed:

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
mine will be done for a year this sept, the ac was never this cold from day one. hoping it lasts, and i live in a state where its pretty much used 365 days a year..

Sponsored

iGovernment

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP A10
I got mine replaced maybe a year ago. Within a month it keeps goes from A/C mode to non-A/C mode (outside air mode) and back. I still need to bring it back in. Anyone know why?

Deleted member 35786

I got mine replaced maybe a year ago. Within a month it keeps goes from A/C mode to non-A/C mode (outside air mode) and back. I still need to bring it back in. Anyone know why?
Could be a multitude of reasons. Have the dealer check it out especially if your still on warranty.

Deleted member 35786

Having mine checked out at this week by ford. Currently at 21,600 miles. Hot on one side cold on the other, but only randomly and clears up when I start driving. Either way its a concern.

NHTSA ID: 10137091
TSB ID: SSM 47149
Some 2015-2017 mustang vehicles built on or before 2-sep-2016 may exhibit poor a/c performance. if a low refrigerant charge is confirmed and there are no other obvious signs of a refrigerant leak, suspect the evaporator to be the source of the problem.

https://www.truedelta.com/Ford-Mustang-tsbs-92,2017
Update: Yep Evaporator core was the issue. Parts on order, looking at 2-3 days down time. Thankfully its still on warranty.

druby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium, Tripple Yellow
Uh oh. I just noticed the temp differential thing going on in my 15gt pp, not yet 30k miles, but it's obviously over 3 years. This doesn't sound fun at all. I spoke to dealer, and apparently the previous owner had purchased some sort of special 10 year extended warranty. He's checking to see if that transferred to me when I bought it. I hope so, but I doubt it. We'll see. My guess is that they'll say, the repair is 2k, buying a new extended warranty is 1.9 k. This is crap if this is that much of a known issue. Definitely not cool of Ford.

Deleted member 35786

Uh oh. I just noticed the temp differential thing going on in my 15gt pp, not yet 30k miles, but it's obviously over 3 years. This doesn't sound fun at all. I spoke to dealer, and apparently the previous owner had purchased some sort of special 10 year extended warranty. He's checking to see if that transferred to me when I bought it. I hope so, but I doubt it. We'll see. My guess is that they'll say, the repair is 2k, buying a new extended warranty is 1.9 k. This is crap if this is that much of a known issue. Definitely not cool of Ford.
Work with your dealer after they diagnose it and that is for sure the issue and then contact Ford customer service and see what they can do. Seems most folks are receiving some sort of compensation/discount etc. since your warranty is barely expired. There are many TSB's out on it as well.
Dealer said to me today that there is an updated TSB that the entire core does not get replaced but only a portion of it now. Did not see the TSB so cannot validate, but once I have receipt for work in a few weeks I will update.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Dealer said to me today that there is an updated TSB that the entire core does not get replaced but only a portion of it now.
Probably because Ford is losing their ass on AC evaporator warranty work. So sounds like they came up with a way to do a hack job replacement instead of replacing the whole evaporator assembly like they use to.

If someone can get the TSB and post it, maybe DYI type members who are out of warranty could do the replacement themselves.

druby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium, Tripple Yellow
Work with your dealer after they diagnose it and that is for sure the issue and then contact Ford customer service and see what they can do. Seems most folks are receiving some sort of compensation/discount etc. since your warranty is barley expired. There are many TSB's out on it as well.
Dealer said to me today that there is an updated TSB that the entire core does not get replaced but only a portion of it now. Did not see the TSB so cannot validate, but once I have receipt for work in a few weeks I will update.
So it sounds like to get that warranty, I need to get either the selling dealer or the previous owner to sign a form acknowledging that the warranty is transferring. I'm not all that optimistic that I can track down the owner, as I think the dealer I bought it from got it at auction. There may be a chance that dealer can sign the form however, so we'll see. If not, I take it in so they can make sure it's as bad as I think, and then we go from there.

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Joined the club sooner than I expected. 16k miles. Said fuck it and went to Walmart and found a sealer for metal and rubber and the cheapest can of r134 with a dummy gauge. Didn't feel like getting my gauges out. System holds 21oz so I figured 16oz would put it just about right because the system still had enough to blow cold at idle, but nothing higher. Now it's blowing cold and I hope the sealer lasts a while.
20180622_195652-1024x1820.jpg
just did this outside in the parking lot at work. mine was to the point where the Compressor would no longer come on. popped some 134a on to get it going and circulating, popped the sealer on and emptied the can. mine was a bitch to get all of the sealant to come out of the can. i still have 1/4th of the 20oz r134a left over -- it wouldn't go into the system. showed about 43-45PSI on the little crap gauge that came with it

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
don't say that :( the sealant did say that the system needs to hold a charge for about 2 weeks. i assume multiple cans of sealant would need to be used, maybe 2-3 and 2 20oz r134a cans.
Sponsored