Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
we need more people to try the Marvin Method before getting evap replacements!!!

RubyRed15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT 6MT, Ruby Red with Ceramic Interior
I just got my car back this week after having the evaporator coil replaced. Symptoms were the same as reported in this thread and it failed at 21,600 miles, Car has been a daily driver since purchased in November 2014.

My thanks to this forum and its members for reporting the issue. Based on the information presented, I extended my Ford warranty before the original coverage expired.

Deleted member 35786

I just got my car back this week after having the evaporator coil replaced. Symptoms were the same as reported in this thread and it failed at 21,600 miles, Car has been a daily driver since purchased in November 2014.

My thanks to this forum and its members for reporting the issue. Based on the information presented, I extended my Ford warranty before the original coverage expired.
I second that!! Thanks to all for information regarding this issue.
If anyone is on the fence about getting it checked out and you still have some time left on your warranty, get it looked at now!

Sponsored

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Well had my evap system replace last year when the car had around 15-16,000 miles on. The car now has 27,000 miles on it and it has now gone bad again. I do not know what the issue is yet. It blows really warm on 1 side and not so cool on the other side. I am thinking I will be on my 2nd evap replacement.

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Well not good news to report. It seems about 5 minutes after using my system it went back to blowing 80 out the vents.

The downside was after putting sealant in and charging the system I let it sit for maybe 3-4 minutes before shutting it down for 4 hours.

I think the correct method may be to seal it, charge it, and drive it on max for an hour or more.

When I got home I put the rest of the 20oz can (1/4) in but watched the psi gauge sit at 45, then travel quickly down to 30 and hot air was blowing again.

So I assume I have a extremely large hole in my evap system.

This plus the cracked intake mani outside of warranty really makes me want to look elsewhere other than ford

p51

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT w/ PP
What to do? What to do? 50k miles on my '15 GTPP. Evaporator, Condenser, and other things replaced in March last year at 23K. As you can probably guess, its acting like its on the way out again. I don't believe in repeatedly replacing what should be something that lasts 100k + (my dad's ac went out on his lexus at over a decade old and 150k+ miles on the car). It really doesn't inspire confidence to read that an 18 needed theirs fixed at 800ish. They've had 3 years to fix the issue and apparently haven't. I'll be taking it to my local shop to look at, but there is no universe in which I get the interior of the car gutted again. If it comes to that, I'll be looking at other sports cars. But not a camaro. Ew. How could you suggest such a thing?

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
Screenshot_20180728-141543.jpg
Well I took a longer route home after work and the gym. Seems good I guess. Hopefully it's just the extreme heat and humidity.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

Edit: I had the dumb, part FR3Z-19860 is the core, FR3Z-19850 is the entire assembly
For the 2017 model it seems they are up to W and Y series Evaporators.

$529.76 FR3Z-19850-Y
Evaporator Assembly
W/ DUAL ZONE AC, 3.7, 5.0 LITER-R134A

$485.02 FR3Z-19850-W Evaporator Assembly
W/ O DUAL ZONE AC, 3.7, 5.0 LITER

$708.26 GR3Z-19850-S Evaporator Assembly
W/ DUAL ZONE AC, 3.7, 5.0 LITER-R1234YF

https://www.bluespringsfordparts.co...vac-cat/evaporator-and-heater-components-scat

druby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium, Tripple Yellow
So it sounds like to get that warranty, I need to get either the selling dealer or the previous owner to sign a form acknowledging that the warranty is transferring. I'm not all that optimistic that I can track down the owner, as I think the dealer I bought it from got it at auction. There may be a chance that dealer can sign the form however, so we'll see. If not, I take it in so they can make sure it's as bad as I think, and then we go from there.
So, I decided to call the Ford warranty folks myself. They know who the purchaser of the premium 10 year extended warranty is, but they can't tell me. I'm guessing they don't really want to, as that guy probably forgot all about the warranty and is able to get a partial refund from them if/when he remembers. That also doesn't bode well for him signing those rights over to me. This was bad news. The good news is that my car actually has a Certified Pre-owned warranty that is also still in effect! I find it curious that the dealer didn't bother to mention this to me. What a scam. I asked Ford to send me a copy and they can't won't. I love how these companies sell this stuff, and then do everything they can to not let people know about it. Needless to say, that dealer just showed his true colors.

Lesson learned... do your research. The dealers make a lot of money on these extended warranties, but they seem to do all they can to not advertise the fact that you even have them. Call the Ford warranty folks and give them your VIN and they'll tell you what your car has and when it expires. The dealers don't love warranty work, as Ford doesn't pay as well as they can probably get on the open market.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
$%^#. A/C on my 2016 went warm again. It dumped it the first time in TX. Dealership refilled, put in dye, saw no pressure loss. Here we are again. PA dealership at first didn't want to do a loaner...I about lost my shit. Being military, probably no hope in a lemon law as I have had the car for 2 years but due to a deployment, it just went over 10K. I am really pissed...doesn't help looking around here at all the problems people are having. Closest PA dealer can't see it until next Thurs though. Oh and I am going straight to the BBB Auto Line with this. I did that after a lot of pain on a repair on my Armada years ago...should have gotten them involved earlier.

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
OK, I'll finally bite on this one.

I'm probably one of a few here that plans to keep my S550 indefinitely, but all this is a concern. My car has under 7K miles on it, and is a fair weather toy only during our brief non-winters. I rarely use the AC, but still. Already out of warranty. Ugh.

I'm wondering how long it will be before there are threads on a DIY repair. Or before someone figures out how to eliminate the compressor with a shorter belt....

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
OK, I'll finally bite on this one.

I'm probably one of a few here that plans to keep my S550 indefinitely, but all this is a concern. My car has under 7K miles on it, and is a fair weather toy only during our brief non-winters. I rarely use the AC, but still. Already out of warranty. Ugh.

I'm wondering how long it will be before there are threads on a DIY repair. Or before someone figures out how to eliminate the compressor with a shorter belt....
When i get around to doing it, it will be DIY. right now its summer in TX, and i figure to do things right i'll need probably 4 days. i'm not promising a professional writeup but i'll very likely get something back here
Sponsored