Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
They maintain that's what the instructions say to do. Who knows. I may actually buy a belt and bring it to them if it saves a couple days.
If the manual says that then they should have verified the part department had a new one or ordered one at the time they ordered the compressor.
Sponsored

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
If the manual says that then they should have verified the part department had a new one or ordered one at the time they ordered the compressor.
Yeah, well...... We're talking about a pretty small Ford dealer here. I would ask these sort of questions, but if I keep the car, I may have to see more of them...

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
LOL.

Just lost AC for the fourth time today. Good thing I just got that extended warranty, because I'm at 36500 miles now.

Don't know when I'm taking it back in, but I had the feeling it was going to do it. Had the telltale signs. And I supposedly had the updated evaporator (I forget the part number, have to find the documents).
How many times has the evaporator been replaced?

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
How many times has the evaporator been replaced?
Well, here's my AC woes:

February 2017: Compressor failed. Replaced Compressor
July 2017: Evap failed/leaked. Replaced a shrader valve or something and recharged.
December 2017: Evap failed. Replaced evaporator
May 2018: Evap failing (now)

all happened within roughly 15 months and 15000 miles. All my issues started right 21,000 miles.

I'm just trying to figure out why I had virtually no issues for 21,000 miles, and then multiple failures after that.

4th! That is insane. If you find the part number you had, please post it.
Still look for the papers, but I'm 99% it was the evaporator model ending in -Y

The sad part is, mechanically the car has been rock solid so far, except for the AC.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
That sucks, I had the Evaporator replaced a couple of months ago and have only 4 months left on my 3/36. I guess Ford is replacing the faulty Evaporator with the same faulty Evaporator. Decision time is here, dump Ford or get the extended warranty.

Last edited:

Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
I basically doubled my warranty (6 year/75000) for ~$900 from Flood ESP.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I basically doubled my warranty (6 year/75000) for ~$900 from Flood ESP.
8 yr/ $200 deductible /125 k miles $1800.

Good news! My a/c is cold. They changed my compressor, (24K miles) and good to go. Hopefully evap stays good. So I am not in this thread...... so to speak...

traumamed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium
I have been following this thread for a little while. First-time poster. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up - Ford may comp you an extended warranty if you call Ford directly. As in, call Ford corporate and not go through your dealer.

I am on my 3rd evaporator and 2nd compressor, 15 GT Premium with about 15,000 miles. In March, my AC failed for the 3rd time over a span of less than 10K miles, with only three-ish months left on the bumper-to-bumper warranty. I parked the car before taking it in for repair, called Ford corporate, and asked them to stand behind their vehicle by giving me an extended warranty. Within two business days, I was given a complimentary bumper-to-bumper warranty extension to 5 years/75K miles.

AC just failed for the 4th time yesterday, which is why I'm back looking at this thread. Probably will be getting rid of the car after the repair, bumper-to-bumper warranty extension or not. This will be the car's 4th AC repair, and it also had to have an entirely new PCM placed after the original failed at around 7,500 miles, and the back-up camera has broken twice. Fun car, but really over it after it has spent now cumulatively more than one month of it's 35-month life in the shop.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I have been following this thread for a little while. First-time poster. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up - Ford may comp you an extended warranty if you call Ford directly. As in, call Ford corporate and not go through your dealer.

I am on my 3rd evaporator and 2nd compressor, 15 GT Premium with about 15,000 miles. In March, my AC failed for the 3rd time over a span of less than 10K miles, with only three-ish months left on the bumper-to-bumper warranty. I parked the car before taking it in for repair, called Ford corporate, and asked them to stand behind their vehicle by giving me an extended warranty. Within two business days, I was given a complimentary bumper-to-bumper warranty extension to 5 years/75K miles.

AC just failed for the 4th time yesterday, which is why I'm back looking at this thread. Probably will be getting rid of the car after the repair, bumper-to-bumper warranty extension or not. This will be the car's 4th AC repair, and it also had to have an entirely new PCM placed after the original failed at around 7,500 miles, and the back-up camera has broken twice. Fun car, but really over it after it has spent now cumulatively more than one month of it's 35-month life in the shop.
Wow....sorry to hear about all of the bad luck. I just find it odd how some cars can be plagued with multiple issues, over and over again. From back up cameras to AC issues, one has to ponder if there is something else within the cars system causing these issues to pop up. Higher than normal voltage, or dirty voltage from the alternator, a bad wiring harness or just some voodoo curse put on the car by a disgruntled assembly line worker.
I had one of our '95 GT's act the same way.
I had one I bought that was a very low mileage car at the time. 36,000 miles back in '04. That car never gave me an unusual problem. Always ran great and the AODE shifted great. Never an issue until it was totaled.

Oldest son had one that constantly had spark knock issues and trans shifted strangely. Swapped in a T-5, never an issue until it was totaled.
(Only the good die young!)

Youngest son owned one that was the demon from hell. Cooling issues, electrical gremlins, never shifted correctly so he swapped in a T5 also, randomly die just cruising down the interstate that were ignition or fuel pump circuit going out with nothing found, and then suddenly working again, constant suspension component failures, alternators dying constantly, etc....
He finally traded it for a sport bike and sold the bike for 2X the value of the Mustang. I actually sleep better at night now knowing I won't get the random call at 12am with him on the side of the interstate. Hell, even AAA shut him down after his 3 allowable tows for the year.
Again, I think the same disgruntled employee put a voodoo curse on his car as well.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-350 | 1966 A-Code fastback
Hey folks, also new member here. And sadly have to add mine to the list. I just bought the car a month ago 2016 GT-350 with 15k on the odometer. Mine is at the dealership right now with it's dash pulled out for an evaporator leak. Haven't even made my first payment yet. :(

Sponsored

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

That is. Really. Depressing.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Wow....sorry to hear about all of the bad luck. I just find it odd how some cars can be plagued with multiple issues, over and over again.
I don't think its bad luck. More like bad quality.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I don't think its bad luck. More like bad quality.
I wonder how much money Ford would save if they put tighter QA requirements on their parts suppliers? I mean there has to be tons of warranty work and vehicle buy-backs going on from the root cause of shitty QA of supplied parts. It has to add up to a lot of lost profit I would think. Not to mention, the lose of reputation as a quality vehicle with could influence people's decision to purchase a Ford or not.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I wonder how much money Ford would save if they put tighter QA requirements on their parts suppliers? I mean there has to be tons of warranty work and vehicle buy-backs going on from the root cause of shitty QA of supplied parts. It has to add up to a lot of lost profit I would think. Not to mention, the lose of reputation as a quality vehicle with could influence people's decision to purchase a Ford or not.
Yes it costs them money and hurts their reputation. But at the end of the day, F150 sales for personal, business, fleet, etc. more than likely cover all operating costs and every other car sold is pure profit for them so they really don't car about the average Joe. Personally, I think this is the wrong mindset and is why so many people swear by buying anything but American when it comes to cars.

traumamed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium
That is. Really. Depressing.
Hey it could be worse - all I've lost is driving time in the car while it has been in the shop for repairs. No out of pocket expense. It's just sad to see how many people have had issues with the S550 that are plain silly, dumb issues for a modern vehicle to have. The drivetrain and chassis on this car are very impressive, and I have not heard of a lot of failures with the core components. Unfortunately, when the accessories are entirely unreliable, it ruins the experience of the car anyway.
Sponsored