6spd manual durability

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
My current plan is oil pump gear, shifter upgrade, half shaft upgrade and a supercharger so I am gonna stick with the 3.73 torsen.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
(SNIP) you have to have in mind that MT82 is not rated for the power of the coyote at first place.
Manual transmission ratings are odd, I'll give you that. But the MT-82 is designed and built specifically for Mustangs with Coyotes.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I sure hope Iā€˜ve got a good one in my Bullitt. Iā€˜ll find out for sure eventually, if it has enough nuts to handle some spirited shifting at the drag strip.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Manual transmission ratings are odd, I'll give you that. But the MT-82 is designed and built specifically for Mustangs with Coyotes.
they are rated at 500 nm / 370 ft-lbs my car put 500 nm down you can imagine how this is not going to last very long. Ether way there is a reason why there is a class action over this transmission.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My 2nd to 3rd lockouts at high RPM completely went away when I installed my MGW shifter. Almost certain it was happening due to transmission movement while the factory shifter was body mounted.
Mine is from clutch car is due for clutch replacement as the clutch is very hard and bite point is higher (if you can find out where it is because of the stupid spring though ...)

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
they are rated at 500 nm / 370 ft-lbs my car put 500 nm down you can imagine how this is not going to last very long. Ether way there is a reason why there is a class action over this transmission.
So are you saying that you believe Ford's engineers are incompetent and selected a transmission that was not strong enough for the Mustang? Or is the true reason that you don't understand how the transmission is rated?

And why do you think that so many MT-82s live for years and years even when the car has power adders?

What is the reason for the class action?

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So are you saying that you believe Ford's engineers are incompetent and selected a transmission that was not strong enough for the Mustang? Or is the true reason that you don't understand how the transmission is rated?

And why do you think that so many MT-82s live for years and years even when the car has power adders?

What is the reason for the class action?
Looks like you have both Mustang and Fiesta let me tell you a story about my Fiesta it has a synchro issue since the day I bought it. So yeah I believe Ford's engineers are incompetent. And I do understand that the transmissions are rated based on weight of the vehicle. Still the GT350 and even the Mach 1 which have not that much of power difference to a stock MT82 Mustang use the Tremac transmission.

Also for the many MT-82s live for years maybe they are not driven on the track or strip ?

Here is the Class Action description:

"According to the plaintiffsā€™ second amended complaint, a defective MT82 or MT82-D4 transmission can slip, jerk, clash gears or harshly engage, leading to premature internal wear that may require increased effort in order to shift gears."

https://www.classaction.org/news/20...by-mt82-transmission-defect-class-action-says

I'm just saying that for 2 seasons I have to pull this transmission twice and from what I read in other forums is better to get rid of it than to try and work around it. Getrag are famous for problematic transmissions across other brands as well for example the Evo X.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
Looks like you have both Mustang and Fiesta let me tell you a story about my Fiesta it has a synchro issue since the day I bought it. So yeah I believe Ford's engineers are incompetent. And I do understand that the transmissions are rated based on weight of the vehicle. Still the GT350 and even the Mach 1 which have not that much of power difference to a stock MT82 Mustang use the Tremac transmission.

Also for the many MT-82s live for years maybe they are not driven on the track or strip ?

"According to the plaintiffsā€™ second amended complaint, a defective MT82 or MT82-D4 transmission can slip, jerk, clash gears or harshly engage, leading to premature internal wear that may require increased effort in order to shift gears."

https://www.classaction.org/news/20...by-mt82-transmission-defect-class-action-says

I'm just saying that for 2 seasons I have to pull this transmission twice and from what I read in other forums is better to get rid of it than to try and work around it. Getrag are famous for problematic transmissions across other brands as well for example the Evo X.
Ford is still entitled to due process here. Making an accusation, or even filing suit, doesn't immediately imply guilt for the accused (well, at least that is how our founding fathers intended it to be!). The Chevy Corvair saga is a good example of why we should not jump to conclusions. Unfortunately, we may never really get a chance to evaluate the true merit of these accusations, since all too often the accused will offer some sort of settlement just to make it goo away. Good for the law firm bringing the suit, generally meaningless for everyone else.

Doug V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Iā€™m new to the Mustang world. Looking to purchase a 21ā€™ Mustang GT Performance Pack Premium. Nobody in my area even has a 21ā€™GT and said they canā€™t even order one.
Anyway my question is it seems the 6spd manual is not very durable from what Iā€™m reading. Lots of complaints about locking out gears. Have they upgraded anything with the 21ā€™ or the upcoming 22ā€™ manual models or is it still the same as previous years?
I really like the videos of the 10spd autos. The shifts really seems to keep the car in the powerband
2020 GT Premium 6spd. Have issues with clashing and grinding when shifting to 3rd while under moderate and full throttle. Installed a Barton hybrid shifter. Shifting is more precise but problem remains. I have heard of issues with MT-82. Not on the Mach 1 and Shelby since they get the TR6060. I heard the problem was resolved on 2018 with 3/4th gear fork upgrade. Happy with the car but this problem sucks. Dealer said to let it fail and they will replace it. That stinks.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1

[/QUOTE]

The suit is silly: manual transmissions can do some bad things but they do not slip, once a gear is engaged it is mechanically engaged to the shaft. Engagement is not harsh since the clutch should be disengaged while shifting.

The suit goes on: "The 88-page suit alleges issues with an affected Mustangā€™s transmission and clutch components can cause the carā€™s hydraulic systems to function improperly, which may lead to the decomposition or failure of critical parts throughout the transmission.."

The hydraulic systems? WTF?
Ford engineers may be incompetent (highly doubtful) but they did not design the MT-82. And the Borg-Warner (now Tremec) T5 was not a paragon of durability. Your MT-82 has problems and that sucks (and I hope it gets fixed soon) but it is not as widespread as this forum would have us think.

Sponsored

Doug V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
The suit is silly: manual transmissions can do some bad things but they do not slip, once a gear is engaged it is mechanically engaged to the shaft. Engagement is not harsh since the clutch should be disengaged while shifting.

The suit goes on: "The 88-page suit alleges issues with an affected Mustangā€™s transmission and clutch components can cause the carā€™s hydraulic systems to function improperly, which may lead to the decomposition or failure of critical parts throughout the transmission.."

Ford engineers may be incompetent (highly doubtful) but they did not design the MT-82. And the Borg-Warner (now Tremec) T5 was not a paragon of durability. Your MT-82 has problems and that sucks (and I hope it gets fixed soon) but it is not as widespread as this forum would have us think.
[/QUOTE]
If you have driven one with the problem then you would understand.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1

If you have driven one with the problem then you would understand.
[/QUOTE]

I do understand, that your MT-82 sucks and I would be pissed about it if it were mine. The dealer needs a kick in the pants from Ford to fix it, "wait for it to fail" is idiotic.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
that torque rating depends on the weight

dmcg940

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Premium, 94 Mustang GT
Watching responses to questions like this over the past 10 years, and especially as the transmission has evolved and improved, there are two answers. If you want to drive the car on the street and drive like a grown up who pays for his own equipment, the MT82 is a smooth transmission that is likely to last a long time and give good service. If, on the other hand, you are a quarter-mile gear jammer more into full-throttle power shifts, you will probably bend or break the shift forks on a regular basis and think it's made of glass.
Sponsored