Sponsored

4G Modem Disabling Instructions:

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Well, it sorta does. It depends on what systems what data is in. Some services might not refresh quickly enough to be useful for some applications.As a normal example, I have Ecoobee presence sensors for my thermostat. But I can't use them to trigger smart lights in my HA system because the refresh rate is so bad you'd likely be out of the room again before it registered.
My point was made from the point of view of being able to index on certain pieces of data and not based on how close to real time you need to process it. While related to a point they are not the same and yes you are correct that certain (most) data has some aging constraints (like in your example where data becomes stale or irrelevant after a short (or a long) while.

If the data were pulled once a month for a report, then ya, probably wouldn't matter. But as I said earlier, if you wanted to make this data available for folks to consume for their internal reporting or ingest in their own systems (like an insurance carrier), it would need to be prepped, structured, and a system built to provide access to do so (assuming we are talking about it in terms of a "service offering"). The systems running Fordpass would make that kind of stuff easy as I assume they have a huge data lake powering stuff in the back end. If they don't, then they're even more behind then I thought it.
Insurance companies (because this is what we are talking about) do not really need real time data. They are ok with batches spanning seconds/minutes/hours//days or even a bit more - at least based on how the industry is setup at this point. It would be fun to think about a world where rates adjust more dynamically based on real time data feed but we are not there yet (fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it). Or FordPass making you offers based on where you are at a certain point in time (this is where the ability to process data close to real time is important).

Still, I'd argue that ya'll are forgetting one thing - corporate red tape. Just because it could be done from a technical standpoint, doesn't mean it's realistically feasible for the budgets, skill set, and infrastructure the company has. I see stuff every day in my job that I could turn on and configure in minutes, but spend years trying to get customers to do :)
Not going to argue this one since you are spot on. That is why I mentioned that it is possible technically - that is not a guarantee of success as you pointed out because of many other factors.

I think in the end @drummerboy 's point is probably what IMO we should be concerned - they are collecting our data (PII on top of everything else). And without clear retention policies or the right to be forgotten, while potentially incapable technically to do something useful with it nowadays that can change with enough time and money. Or they might get hacked tomorrow and that data ends up in the wrong places because they are not that top notch, security conscious tech company as we agreed. I would rather not risk it :)
image.png
image.png
Sponsored

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
And without clear retention policies or the right to be forgotten, while potentially incapable technically to do something useful with it nowadays that can change with enough time and money. Or they might get hacked tomorrow and that data ends up in the wrong places because they are not that top notch, security conscious tech company as we agreed. I would rather not risk it :)
image.png
image.png
Spot on, my man. You might not see any consequences today... but what about a year or two (or even further) down the road?

Companies started collecting data loooooooooong before they had any clue what to do with it. Storage is cheap. Soon enough, processing it all will be, too.

onebad58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 mustang 1958 ford 2021 mach 1
Spot on, my man. You might not see any consequences today... but what about a year or two (or even further) down the road?

Companies started collecting data loooooooooong before they had any clue what to do with it. Storage is cheap. Soon enough, processing it all will be, too.
and how does google no its my birthday?

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
and how does google no its my birthday?
You live in Moscow, they know everything about you. I mean, yeah, some would say that you had voluntarily offered it up to them when you had initially created your Google account, what makes you think that your neighbors are really your neighbors? Since your GT350's have computers in them, I'd just pull all of the wires out, and go back to a carb setup, back when America made cars that were great, not this electronic computer stuff all made in China and Japan by our former enemies.

black bart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem A6 White Platinum 20x9's
Back in 2008 when I purchased a Pontiac G8 GT, it came with On Star, available on GM vehicles at that time. A year or so after owning the vehicle, articles began to appear on G8 and Corvette forums regarding On Star selling vehicle information to Law Enforcement, insurance companies, etc. Of course On Star denied these allegations, but shortly after denial, On Star issued a statement that they would cease offering vehicle information to law enforcement, etc. I disconnected the On Star module from both my G8 and C6 Corvette and never looked back.

Long story short, if there is a buck to be made by selling your personal information to literally anyone, On Star, Ford Pass et al, will sell it in a heartbeat. These companies that tell you that they are being helpful and actually care about your welfare and the safety of your vehicle are full of crap. It's all about the Bejamins, not your or my welfare. Pull the fuse people.

Sponsored

onebad58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back in 2008 when I purchased a Pontiac G8 GT, it came with On Star, available on GM vehicles at that time. A year or so after owning the vehicle, articles began to appear on G8 and Corvette forums regarding On Star selling vehicle information to Law Enforcement, insurance companies, etc. Of course On Star denied these allegations, but shortly after denial, On Star issued a statement that they would cease offering vehicle information to law enforcement, etc. I disconnected the On Star module from both my G8 and C6 Corvette and never looked back.

Long story short, if there is a buck to be made by selling your personal information to literally anyone, On Star, Ford Pass et al, will sell it in a heartbeat. These companies that tell you that they are being helpful and actually care about your welfare and the safety of your vehicle are full of crap. It's all about the Bejamins, not your or my welfare. Pull the fuse people.
I pulled the fuse on both my 19 mustangs.

onebad58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You live in Moscow, they know everything about you. I mean, yeah, some would say that you had voluntarily offered it up to them when you had initially created your Google account, what makes you think that your neighbors are really your neighbors? Since your GT350's have computers in them, I'd just pull all of the wires out, and go back to a carb setup, back when America made cars that were great, not this electronic computer stuff all made in China and Japan by our former enemies.
that's moscowmills missouri

Wuji

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby gt 500 40 year Anniversary
that's moscowmills missouri
Go, Chiefs.
Thanks, for the info, this is going to the top of my mods list...
I have a friend who started a business helping people identify intrusive RF signals in their home as it has been associated with all kinds of health issues. Here we are in America pushing 5g while Europe and other countries are pulling it out of schools and other public places. I personally do not want additional RF signals penetrating my body and brain as I take a two day cross country trip. If I need wifi for something I will temp enable a hot spot on my phone.
By the way, for those who don't know, you can download music, gps routes, etc to your phone and turn off wifi/data if you want to take a break from it. We all survived in the past without it.... now it's being pushed like its a "NEED"
I work in IT and I hate all of the wifi, bluetooth, RF signals that are flowing through the air....
and don't get me started about electronics in simple appliances like dishwashers, refrigerators, etc...
100% correct run a RF meter in an electric car, or better yet meter a car that has the battery under the front seat.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
HI all I didn't read all the posts so sorry if this is been brought up. But I just out a android head unit in my car 2019 mustang gt premium with sync 3. From what I understand the modem is in the sync unit that is attached to the back of the screen. This unit runs juts about everything, more then you would think. I had to swap the sync 3 module over to the new android unit. At first there was a bad connection and the module didn't communicate. I lost all radio functions, volume functions, xm, all steering wheel controls, modes and 911 emergency connection, blue tooth, wifi and gps.... and on and on. Including being able to see the modem. Once I found the connection and snapped the harness in tighter all that came back. so all these functions were through one harness to one module, the one on back of the screen of which you have to disassemble the entire dash and center console to get too. So I dont think unplugging the modem harness will work unless you know which one of the 14 wires to the harness controls it.

The only think I would e worried about with disabling the modem or even pulling the fuse is you would also loose the 911 emergency call feature if you are in an accident. true you are not tracked but you would loose that feature im sure as it uses the modem to call out dosent it?

Also I guess unless each wire coming off that harness has its own circuit are we sure pulling one fuse it disabling the modem? Seeing how its part of a module that also controls so many other things?

here is the module and its connections The gold connector in upper left is gps and the big black connector at bottom right is the one i had not snapped in all way when i lost all functions. The black piece to the upper right above the sticker is odd its almost like its an integrated antenna maybe that has something to do with it? the modem? or it might be Bluetooth not sure.
Screenshot_11.jpg

gnarlycaveman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
i dont know if anyone metioned this yet but i have a 2020 tacoma and it clearly says next to the SOS button that it transmits normal everyday data to its server. it also says you can turn it of though. Maybe the use the data to see how people drive there cars ect. to debate on what warrenties to offer or what parts to upgrade ect. who knows either way we all know its not a car thatll get us tracked down by whomever wants to find us.

Sponsored
OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
The black piece to the upper right above the sticker is odd its almost like its an integrated antenna maybe that has something to do with it? the modem? or it might be Bluetooth not sure.
Probably the bluetooth antenna. RF meter shows pulling the fuse to the modem disables the modem. 2019 Mustang owner's manual shows only the modem is on that circuit, and this is confirmed as everything else continues to work as normal. This is also the case on most of the cars posted in here so far, but the 2020 Explorer manual someone posted shows other things on the same circuit. 2019 Mustang diagram posted on page 1 shows the modem to be somewhere in the back of the car.

Also correct that the car would not be able to dial 911. Which gets us to another facet of the privacy/safety/convenience conversation. This data collection tech is still in its infancy, and tech in general is constantly advancing. One could hope that maybe one day we won't have to choose one or the other between privacy and safety (such as the case with dialing 911), but I'm not holding my breath.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Also correct that the car would not be able to dial 911. Which gets us to another facet of the privacy/safety/convenience conversation. This data collection tech is still in its infancy, and tech in general is constantly advancing. One could hope that maybe one day we won't have to choose one or the other between privacy and safety (such as the case with dialing 911), but I'm not holding my breath.

Not wanting to start a big arguement, I have a cell phone that I can dial 911. I dont need the car to call them.

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
Fuse pulled... For those that say your phone already has your position and speed I would say that without the vehicle's data to compare to your phone's GPS data how can anyone assume that you are A) In a Mustang at all and B) that you are operating a vehicle at that time? Maybe you're hanging out of the passenger side of your best friend's ride? Not accusing anyone of being a scrub by the way... :wink: Point being that I don't want the vehicle's data sent anywhere. Couldn't care less what my phone's GPS says.
At one point I swore I turned my Wi-Fi off because I was getting messages about sending service data. Months later the messages started again and when I checked the Wi-Fi was on again! Maybe there is a timer that flips it back on after a certain interval? It wouldn't surprise me.
If I have any negative issues from pulling the fuse I will report back with said issues. Thanks to drummerboy for this info!

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Not wanting to start a big arguement, I have a cell phone that I can dial 911. I dont need the car to call them.
its a feature for head on accidents of other reasons you would not be able to use a phone, the car calls out in case of an accident assuming you have been injured or knocked out or say your phone is not with you or was thrown from car and so on.... so you have a collision on some back road or a deer and hit a tree. you have pulled the fuse to the modem that could have saved your life. but to each their own.
Sponsored