3 More Stolen

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I think the saddest part is these kids that are too young to even have a license are being sent to steal GT500s, and eventually someone is going to get killed. I don't care if they're being groomed driving other things, that's just too much power for someone inexperienced to know how to handle.
Thieves are scum in my book as it is but thieves that are using kids to do their dirty work? There’s a special place in hell for those types. You’d think at this point Ford would be questioning anyone and everyone that works at Flat Rock, not accusing but definitely questioning. Heck, something as simple as paying Detroit PD to have a couple squads dedicated to sitting around Flat Rock at night. That’s got to be way cheaper than the losses they are taking on these stolen 500’s.
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Thieves are scum in my book as it is but thieves that are using kids to do their dirty work? There’s a special place in hell for those types. You’d think at this point Ford would be questioning anyone and everyone that works at Flat Rock, not accusing but definitely questioning. Heck, something as simple as paying Detroit PD to have a couple squads dedicated to sitting around Flat Rock at night. That’s got to be way cheaper than the losses they are taking on these stolen 500’s.
The plant is in Flat Rock, not Detroit. Or as we Detroiters call it, it's Down River.

OP
OP
The Demon

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
One of my buddies used to be plant manager at this plant bitd. He lives on horse head island, right down the road.

This is not a new phenomenon....

Happening more? Yes. New? No....
So with that being said. Your friend was the manager there at one time. Where in the hell do they keep these keys or these cars being hot wired if that’s even still possible.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
So with that being said. Your friend was the manager there at one time. Where in the hell do they keep these keys or these cars being hot wired if that’s even still possible.
I worked at the Bremerhaven car harbor for a while.

Here in Germany, the keys are usually not in the vehicle only when the vehicles are on the road transport, then the truck driver has the responsibility and accordingly the keys.
I'm not sure about rail transport, but I think that the keys are also in the car, but rail transport is now mostly in locked rail cars because of thefts (e.g. M-BMWs that arrived here without a shift knob).

Say, if you get into the secured premises unnoticed, then the thing is simple.
However, the fences here are appropriately secured (cameras, vibration detectors...) so you are already noticed if you shake the fence once.

I think in Wolfsburg, Zuffenhausen etc. the security of the outdoor facilities should be at a similar level, otherwise the scum would have long since made off with it.

But that doesn't mean that they don't try.
It must have been more than 10 years ago that some people got onto the secured premises unnoticed, broke down a gate with a car in front and then got away with a handful of cars.
From my memory, however, they were also caught quite quickly.

The last thing that went through the press was that in January of this year 200 key fobs were stolen (from the vehicles on the secured premises). They got in and out without being noticed, presumably using railroad tracks.

As usual, where there is a trough, the pigs come and try to get a piece.

With regard to the keys, it can only go like this.
Seconds matter in the handling processes, and not only in the harbor. It's unthinkable to handle it any other way.

But I'm surprised that they can just walk away.
Many of the vehicles made here are programmed into a transport mode, you can't go faster than 20 mph with them.

Might be the easy solution to the problem for Ford, then the scum won't get far and the police/security can grab another donut along the way.

Last edited:

jcttraveler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Convertible 2019
Besides taking a joy ride, what's the point of stealing these cars? You couldn't resell them right?

Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
It has become too common - and why is Ford lacking in security after so many others have been stolen??
Because they have insurance and probably make full retail off the car instead of dealer cost…

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Besides taking a joy ride, what's the point of stealing these cars? You couldn't resell them right?
Scrapped and sold, vin swapped and sold, or transported down Mexico way and sold

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Interesting article with insight to how it's been happening... but the lack of security around the large lots is the problem. If they can get into the holding area, they're going to make it out with what they were after.

These performance vehicles along with high end "luxo" vehicles are also taken to shopping ports and stuffed into shipping containers. Don't doubt some of the Port workers get a kick back too for turning their backs and being "silent"... These vehicles are shipped overseas - where sometimes depending on the country where it lands - registration, VIN, title, etc means really nothing. They're sold to awaiting buyers or make it through other channels to black market dealers who can "wash" the car so it can be registered in a country that requires documentation.

If the vehicle manufacturers were smart enough - while the vehicles are in the holding lots, the modems or NAV systems in the newer models should be "live" all the time with its own lithium battery supply in the event the main battery power is disconnected, this way the vehicle can be tracked. So once a vehicle has been stolen or even made it to a port and is stuffed into a shipping container, it still can be tracked. Tracking devices like LoJack have back up power in the event the thief disconnects the main power source and can still be traced via its signal. Heck, there's multiple ways to track nearly ANYTHING these days via GPS, so again, get the vehicle GPS on its own power source in the event the main battery is disconnected ...

OR start coding fobs with unique ID's that must match the same unique ID coded into the PCM - not just an FCC "signal" code - but a very distinct and unique ID that is much like a serial number where the FOB and PCM must make a match before the vehicle can be fired up. If GM and Ford can lock down their PCM's to prevent owner tuning, they can surely start locking them to prevent a "cloned signal" intrusion.

Sponsored

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
It has become too common - and why is Ford lacking in security after so many others have been stolen??
Because these thefts are inside jobs. I am a former UAW Ford assembly employee.
All the theft was employee perpetrated.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Throw down some concrete K rail and be done with it already.

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
They have them in some yard no security . They cut the fence and go in and the keys are in the cars. Its almost like Ford wants them to get stolen . They steal a bunch of Raptors too.

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
A lot of cars in Detroit are retagged or sold for parts. They steal more Mopars than Fords here.

babrams3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT C/S Manual FBO
Inside jobs. Keys are left in all plant lot cars. They're not bashing through gates or fences so someone's letting them out unscathed. Ford, GM & ESPECIALLY Chrysler have the funds to protect against this but do very little next to nothing. Same people running the lots are the same on the line, and in detroit, thats anyone off the street.
Sponsored