Sponsored

2K Rattle TSB coming.... eventually.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I talked to the service dept at my local dealer. I specifically asked if anyone has been complaining about the 2K Rattle. He said "yes there have been a few". I asked him if he new about the TSB for the F-150's that just came out, TSB 18-2354. He basically told me that the 2K Rattle in the Mustang is basically the same issue as the F-150, but of course the PCM reflash fix won't work on the Mustang.
Ford knows about it, and they'll "eventually" come out with a fix for it as well. Apparently it is a reflash of the PCM for the VCT solenoid to control the phasers better. The rattle shows up when revving, and also around 2K when the throttle is at a certain point. I guess the noise is the VCT solenoid or the timing chain itself chattering when rpm and throttle are at a very specific position.

The F-150 takes precedent, so that got fixed first, and the Mustang is basically on the back burner, because the programming needed is much different than the F-150..... for performance etc. He said they should eventually come out with a TSB, hopefully this year.

The rattle won't really hurt anything, though very annoying. So, as of now they're still passing it off as a "normal engine characteristic"... :facepalm:
Sponsored

Last edited:

5.0Loved

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
My does have the 2k rattle. Oil sample came back normal. If you are worry, I would get an oil sample kit for a peace of mind

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Has Ford said anywhere that the typewriter tick is normal for the Gen III?
I asked about that too. All he said was it is very common, but no real "fix" for it. Nobody really seems to be willing to say anything definite as to what it even is to begin with. After all my research, I have one of two conclusions. The first, is that it's minor piston slap. The second, is that it is an oil film/cavitation issue similar to what is heard in Powerstroke and Duramax diesel engines.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If it was normal Ford would have said so by now instead of replacing short blocks and long blocks left and right.
We have no idea how many blocks have been replaced nationwide, with roughly 75,000 Mustangs sold last year in the USA alone. There's maybe 30 guys on 6G that have had engines replaced, including guys in England and Germany. And, there's no way to know if the ticking issue is the root cause of the engine damage. They may in fact be connected, but we just don't know. I too had a very noisy tick, but my oil filters and all oil strained showed no excessive signs of metal or wear. This is the case with most people..... so far.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
I thought the F-150 TSB was for a rattle that occurs on decel when removing throttle input. Mustangs have this as well, but this is not the same as the 2500K rattle on light throttle.

Sponsored

KingBowser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Good to know about the rattle, I had the tick start at 700 miles (2019 GT), went another 200 miles swapped to amsoil 5w-30 and really haven’t heard it much since (haven’t used ceratec), plus atleast my tick has always went away when my engine warmed but I’ve had the rattle and did worry about it a bit lol, thanks for all info condor! Has eased my stress a bit.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I thought the F-150 TSB was for a rattle that occurs on decel when removing throttle input. Mustangs have this as well, but this is not the same as the 2500K rattle on light throttle.
Here's the TSB. It happens upon decel around 1,500rpm, and also slow tip-in acceleration at 2,000rpm. He said when at 2,000rpm just having the throttle at a certain position (kind of floating) in relation to where the VCT solenoid responds, causes it to happen. Then, more or less turns it into a constant rattling sound. It happens at various throttle positions all around 2,000-2,500rpm. The F-150 has the same problem. The problem is in the Mustang it seems to be a more constant rattle around 2k based on the way it runs compared to the F-150, but the same decel rattle occurs which is a dead give away that the two are related.

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Glad I waited before freaking out. :whew:

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
That makes sense and I hope it is the problem. Much better to "tune" it out then to have an actual clearance problem in the motor like some think. Either way unacceptable to put a car out with this known issue IMHO.

I plan on having it documented and hopefully have them look into the oil filter on the first change. I'll probably do an oil sample as well. Unless it starts drinking oil or performance drops off there isn't much more I can do really.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I talked to the service dept at my local dealer. I specifically asked if anyone has been complaining about the 2K Rattle. He said "yes there have been a few". I asked him if he new about the TSB for the F-150's that just came out, TSB 18-2354. He basically told me that the 2K Rattle in the Mustang is basically the same issue as the F-150, but of course the PCM reflash fix won't work on the Mustang.
Ford knows about it, and they'll "eventually" come out with a fix for it as well. Apparently it is a reflash of the PCM for the VCT solenoid to control the phasers better. The rattle shows up when revving, and also around 2K when the throttle is at a certain point. I guess the noise is the VCT solenoid or the timing chain itself chattering when rpm and throttle are at a very specific position.

The F-150 takes precedent, so that got fixed first, and the Mustang is basically on the back burner, because the programming needed is much different than the F-150..... for performance etc. He said they should eventually come out with a TSB, hopefully this year.

The rattle won't really hurt anything, though very annoying. So, as of now they're still passing it off as a "normal engine characteristic"... :facepalm:
I have never met a service writer worth their salt much less know what Ford is working on or not working on. Maybe one exist out there. I have yet to meet a technician that knows about "future" tsb's either.
Who knows? Only Ford Corp.

Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
.......unacceptable to put a car out with this known issue IMHO.....
You know some information we don't? Holding out on the community?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I have never met a service writer worth their salt much less know what Ford is working on or not working on. Maybe one exist out there. I have yet to meet a technician that knows about "future" tsb's either.
Who knows? Only Ford Corp.
Same sentiments here... I’ve posted similar responses quite a few times in some of the “tick” or rattle threads, because folks should not go by hearsay at all or “whisper down the lane”; until an actual doc becomes available via a TSB, GSB or SSM from Ford Corporate, there is NO definitive or future “fix” for the Mustang (yet).

I had also posted the F150 TSB on here almost immediately after it was released. To date, there hasn’t been any such Doc for the 2018/19 Mustang, but seems like the Dealerships sure do like to tell Customers “they heard A,B,C” only to quell those seeking answers.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
You know some information we don't? Holding out on the community?
Not sure what your point is. There is a rattle and tick issue with these motors. To the point Ford is replacing them and offering a buy back. There's nothing being held back. I don't believe that Ford put out the 2019's without knowing about the rattle. They knew 18's had it and they knew the F-150's had it. You think Ford is just finding out about it based off of this forum?

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure what your point is. There is a rattle and tick issue with these motors. To the point Ford is replacing them and offering a buy back. There's nothing being held back. I don't believe that Ford put out the 2019's without knowing about the rattle. They knew 18's had it and they knew the F-150's had it. You think Ford is just finding out about it based off of this forum?
My point was simple.....You said there is a " known issue" just wanted you to tell us what the known issue is. A noise?

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
My point was simple.....You said there is a " known issue" just wanted you to tell us what the known issue is. A noise?
Yes there is a noise. There is a noise that doesn't happen in other engines. There's some folks who have the noise and have had motors replaced for metal shavings throughout the engine. Cause or correlation I'm not sure.

Even if it is just a noise should Ford be putting out a product that makes a awful noise if it can be avoided with simple tuning? Did none of their test engines do this? Did none of the 18's show up for replacements prior to the 19's being built?

Is it a noise or something more? That's for Ford to answer. But it isn't normal that a 3 month old car sounds like crap from 2k-3k.

An option on my car controls the noise...and Ford wanted 895 bucks for it. They pipe in noise from the engine to make the car sound better. The add in noise over the speakers on acceleration. Seems Ford is awful caring about "noises". You'd think even if the rattle is as simple as a "noise", which it may or may not be at this point, they'd have it figured out.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Has Ford said anywhere that the typewriter tick is normal for the Gen III?
I asked about that too. All he said was it is very common, but no real "fix" for it. Nobody really seems to be willing to say anything definite as to what it even is to begin with. After all my research, I have one of two conclusions. The first, is that it's minor piston slap. The second, is that it is an oil film/cavitation issue similar to what is heard in Powerstroke and Duramax diesel engines.
Don't exclude the possibility of excessive rod side clearance as the cause of the BBQ tick (aka typewriter tick).

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-excessive-is-this-rod.108361/

If it was caused by mild piston slap or oil cavitation, Ford would have put a TSB out years ago saying it's normal.

But if it's actual parts clearances that are out of spec (like rod side clearance or bearing clearances), then it's not normal and that's why Ford replaces short blocks when there's a bad case of the BBQ tick.
Sponsored