2k-3k rpm exhaust rattle.

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I have the Borla Touring cat back and I have a terrible rattle between 2-3k rpms both on throttle and off throttle. I first thought it was the trans tunnel heat shields so I bent them down and still have the rattle. It will not do it when its cold or when its under no load sitting in the driveway revving it. Only does it under load driving down the road while Im in the drivers seat and cant really pinpoint the problem.

Everything is tight on the exhaust...yes Ive checked and tightened like 5 times now. Wasnt there a recall on the GT cats right when the car came out? Mine was built Oct 30 and wondering if I got one of those cats but they didnt catch it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

iffiamj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG GT PREMIUM
Possible causes.

1. Faulty resonator, have it inspected

2. A part of the exhaust is touching the body of rear subframe and causes a rattle.

3. Dont start the car, and hold the exhaust from its tips and jerk it up and down, see if u hear the familiar rattle from any of the sides. Like realy jerk it up and down nd then side ways. If you hear the rattle, lemme know.

Br725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Prem/PP/ruby red/premier int.
Had a little rattle the second day my catback was on my car, I was able to re clock things a little bit and retorque them and it went away. Plus depending on the kind of clamp you're using it helps to hit it with a torque wrench, tap the clamp a few times with a mallet/dead blow, hit it again with the torque wrench until the torque is stabilized. Then repeat after 100 miles or so. Might help you out

OP
OP

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Think its the left muffler guts rattling a little after it gets hot. Ive adjusted everything and retorqued clamps 5 times now. Got everything good and hot the other day and tapped everything with a rubber mallet and the left muffler sounds like it has pennies in it. Borla has a replacement on the way to see if thats definitely the problem.
Sponsored