Sponsored

18 motor tick + 2k rpm rattle

s550jr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford mustang gt
question i have is has anyone had their vehicle bought back from ford having aftermarket parts on it? and how do they deal with it if the customer wants those parts back or put on the new vehicle if they go for the buyback option of getting a new vehicle as a replacement?

this is whats going on with my car right now.

So i bought my car with little over 100 miles on it. its been ticking since i got it. didn't think much of it at first because people were saying stuff about the injectors until it kept getting louder and i noticed the 2k rpm rattle.

Purchased car early august. took car in early October for the rattle at dealer i purchased it from. tech said normal characteristic of the car, so i didn't think anything of it anymore. so i installed aftermarket exhaust, lowered the car and some other aesthetic stuff. I couldn't hear the rattle anymore because of the exhaust i had now. fast forward to December i take it back in because the rattle is louder and now really noticeable even with the exhaust. my adviser opened a hotline with ford to see if they can get any info on the noise. ford responded with "normal characteristic".

3/27/19 took car back in because rattle was now much louder. got same response "normal characteristic". but the adviser kept asking ford for more explanation on the matter but got no reply. so i then told him about the tick and he opened another hotline for the tick and I emailed him the video of the car ticking. ford replied with normal characteristic again. I went to school to become a mechanic and am fresh out of school and to me and my instructors who were former techs for many years also said it sounded like piston slap or timing chain play so i wasn't gonna just let it go. so my car sat at the dealer for almost 3 weeks. picked car up 4/15/19 because i wanted to take it to another dealer since this dealer never messaged me or kept me in touch with anything i would always have to go in to get any information.

4/25/19 took car in to another ford dealer 30 min away and explained the situation with the car and showed them videos of the car ticking. sent the video to the adviser as well. within 1 hour they called me and left a voicemail "we know for sure you will probably need a lower part of the engine replaced". they asked for tear down time to inspect further. im supposed to get a call from them today and i was planning on going in also and checking the motor out myself if its completely torn down already and seeing if there was any damage. also have been talking with ford directly and letting them know abut my situation because the car was at the other dealer for so long. will most likely try to go through the buy back process and see what happens from there.

videos of car ticking

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
That tick is exactly the sound my 2016 was making. It's what you'll see referred to as BBQ tick or Typewriter tick.

OP
OP
s550jr

s550jr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford mustang gt
That tick is exactly the sound my 2016 was making. It's what you'll see referred to as BBQ tick or Typewriter tick.
yes i am aware of that i talk about it in my post, but i cant find any info anywhere at all about aftermarket parts on buyback vehicles.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
4/25/19 took car in to another ford dealer 30 min away and explained the situation with the car and showed them videos of the car ticking. sent the video to the adviser as well. within 1 hour they called me and left a voicemail "we know for sure you will probably need a lower part of the engine replaced". they asked for tear down time to inspect further. im supposed to get a call from them today and i was planning on going in also and checking the motor out myself if its completely torn down already and seeing if there was any damage.
Are they going to remove the oil pan to inspect the bottom end? If so, ask them to measure the rod big end side clearance and compare findings to the service manual specs. What did they say was wrong when they said "you will probably need a lower part of the engine replaced". Sounds like they already know what the problem is.

OP
OP
s550jr

s550jr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford mustang gt
Are they going to remove the oil pan to inspect the bottom end? If so, ask them to measure the rod big end side clearance and compare findings to the service manual specs. What did they say was wrong when they said "you will probably need a lower part of the engine replaced". Sounds like they already know what the problem is.
Got a call confirming it needs a new short block and is on order. Going in today to get a rental for the time being. Going to ask to take a look at the engine myself and will take pics see what i can see myself.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Got a call confirming it needs a new short block and is on order. Going in today to get a rental for the time being. Going to ask to take a look at the engine myself and will take pics see what i can see myself.
Ask them to check the rod side clearance on the original motor, and also on the new short block if possible. If the new short block has excessive rod side clearances you could be right back where you started with the ticking. If it was my car, I would not let them install the new short block unless they verified all rod side clearances are within factory specification.

If you can get them to do the measurements, please get the measurement results of both the original motor and on the new short block and report back what they found. This is the kind of data we need to verify if excessive rod side clearance is the cause of the typewriter tick. Apparently your dealer's service department must know what it is if they ordered you a new short block.

S550 Rod Side Clearance Specs.JPG

OP
OP
s550jr

s550jr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford mustang gt
Ask them to check the rod side clearance on the original motor, and also on the new short block if possible. If the new short block has excessive rod side clearances you could be right back where you started with the ticking. If it was my car, I would not let them install the new short block unless they verified all rod side clearances are within factory specification.

If you can get them to do the measurements, please get the measurement results of both the original motor and on the new short block and report back what they found. This is the kind of data we need to verify if excessive rod side clearance is the cause of the typewriter tick. Apparently your dealer's service department must know what it is if they ordered you a new short block.

S550 Rod Side Clearance Specs.JPG
I did ask them to measure the side clearances and and take pics of the cylinder walls and send them to me. Still waiting on those. When i went in to see the engine the heads were still on the block and on the passenger side head there was some scoring on the surface of the main cap for the cam. Couldn't feel it with my nail but forgot to take picture.

(Update) tech is not allowed to mess with anything on the engine since it is a warranty item, so they cant measure clearances on the rods. tech is waiting for new block to arrive so he hasn't removed heads off of old block but will get me pictures of cylinder walls once heads are removed.

Short block was approved and is 1-2 days out in shipping. Estimated time of getting car back is late next week or early the following week.

Been out of car now 2 weeks at this dealership.
Plus the 2 1/2 weeks at the other dealership.

Last edited:
OP
OP
s550jr

s550jr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford mustang gt
Update:
Engine was delayed 2 weeks because they said it was a communication error shipping, motor was 1 week not 2 days out. So picked car up 2 weeks later. Everything was perfectly fine no noise at all, no tick no knock. 300 miles later tick returned and heard loud clanking noise when i started the car one morning. video below. Explained noise to regional manager from corporate i had been talking to and suggested i take car back to dealer. took it back few days later and now they were saying the tick was normal and knock as well. called the manager i was talking to and let her know what they told me. I told her i dont want the car anymore and was pissed off that how is it that they diagnosed it the first time within 1 hour and recommended a short block replacement and now they dont even want to touch it when its making the same noise and more. Buyback had started at that point. submitted all required documents. 3 weeks went by heard nothing from ford rav (reacquired vehicles). sent emails and left voicemails to my agent working my case and got no response. contacted office and asked what was going on. turns out i need one more document... NOBODY CONTACTED ME WITHIN 3 WEEKS TO TELL ME WE NEED ONE MORE PAPER?!?!?!? that just pissed me off. submitted last document and just waiting on offer. timeline above may be little off cant remember all exact dates.

Now coming up to recent dates.
8-4-19 submitted final document
8-4-19 1ST AND 2ND GEAR SHIFT FORKS BROKE FML!!!!!!! this happened on my way home from the bank to get final document
8-6-19 offer was sent for approval and expected to receive call within 1-2 days for someone to present me the offer
8-7-19 took car in to local dealer for transmission issues
8-13-19 contacted ford rav because never received call for offer. WHAT DO YOU KNOW THEY TOLD ME "YOU HAVEN'T BEEN CONTACTED FOR THE OFFER? THE OFFER IS READY." WTF. accepted offer terms
8-14-19 received call from ford rav saying offer has been received and accepted and wanted info on when i can turn vehicle in. explained its already at dealership because of the transmission issues.
8-15-19 received call from dealership car is ready for pickup shift forks were replaced and car working properly. went in explained i will not be taking car anymore since the vehicle turn in was setup already for buyback. just went in to take my stuff out of car.
8-19-19 today. expecting call tomorrow or Wednesday by the latest (thats what they told me at least) to go in to the dealership for final signing for car buyback and receive my check for refund. and was told remainder of the car loan should be payed off within 7-9 business days after final signing.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Update:
Engine was delayed 2 weeks because they said it was a communication error shipping, motor was 1 week not 2 days out. So picked car up 2 weeks later. Everything was perfectly fine no noise at all, no tick no knock. 300 miles later tick returned and heard loud clanking noise when i started the car one morning. video below. Explained noise to regional manager from corporate i had been talking to and suggested i take car back to dealer. took it back few days later and now they were saying the tick was normal and knock as well. called the manager i was talking to and let her know what they told me. I told her i dont want the car anymore and was pissed off that how is it that they diagnosed it the first time within 1 hour and recommended a short block replacement and now they dont even want to touch it when its making the same noise and more. Buyback had started at that point. submitted all required documents. 3 weeks went by heard nothing from ford rav (reacquired vehicles). sent emails and left voicemails to my agent working my case and got no response. contacted office and asked what was going on. turns out i need one more document... NOBODY CONTACTED ME WITHIN 3 WEEKS TO TELL ME WE NEED ONE MORE PAPER?!?!?!? that just pissed me off. submitted last document and just waiting on offer. timeline above may be little off cant remember all exact dates.

Now coming up to recent dates.
8-4-19 submitted final document
8-4-19 1ST AND 2ND GEAR SHIFT FORKS BROKE FML!!!!!!! this happened on my way home from the bank to get final document
8-6-19 offer was sent for approval and expected to receive call within 1-2 days for someone to present me the offer
8-7-19 took car in to local dealer for transmission issues
8-13-19 contacted ford rav because never received call for offer. WHAT DO YOU KNOW THEY TOLD ME "YOU HAVEN'T BEEN CONTACTED FOR THE OFFER? THE OFFER IS READY." WTF. accepted offer terms
8-14-19 received call from ford rav saying offer has been received and accepted and wanted info on when i can turn vehicle in. explained its already at dealership because of the transmission issues.
8-15-19 received call from dealership car is ready for pickup shift forks were replaced and car working properly. went in explained i will not be taking car anymore since the vehicle turn in was setup already for buyback. just went in to take my stuff out of car.
8-19-19 today. expecting call tomorrow or Wednesday by the latest (thats what they told me at least) to go in to the dealership for final signing for car buyback and receive my check for refund. and was told remainder of the car loan should be payed off within 7-9 business days after final signing.

Be sure to post up your VIN in the huge Lemon Law thread on here AFTER your deal is finalized and car has been surrendered to Ford.
Sponsored