Sponsored

2019+ Voodoo Changes

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It's hard to assess what that new dyno data is saying, really, because of all the things that didn't change on the Voodoo:

Exhaust, cats and headers - no change.
Intake manifold, throttle body, factory CAI - no change.
Compression ratio, valves, cam - no change.

So where's all the new horsepower coming from? Well, Ford may have done some adjustments to the factory tune - taken advantage of four knock sensors instead of two, for instance, and pulled more power out of the same mechanicals that way. But that's a lot of extra power for what could only be a small spark timing change helped along by updated cam timing. More likely, it's just the different dyno setup producing a different result.
Sponsored

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
My bet is happy dyno. According to the dyno operators themselves, the wind tunnel aspect inflated the numbers...
8EC25C67-057E-4A5F-B7E5-5E26F5C4266C.jpeg
I don't think anyone read your post. This explains it all. The 2019+ is not making more power than the rest of them. IF it is making anything more, it'll only be a little bit due to the changes but the wind tunnel part of the dyno is what's causing the huge HP difference.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
So does this mean the car makes more power at high speed?
That's the best explanation that I've seen so far. It makes sense as the cold-air intake could have a sort of ram-air effect. If the airbox is sealed from the rest of the engine bay when the hood is closed, pretty much all of the air the engine gets is from the cold-air intake from the tiny little opening on the right side of the front grille.
You can see it clearly in this pic from when I took my bumper off:

full.jpg

It only makes sense that more air will be forced into that little hole as you're driving down the freeway giving you more power. Kind of like the ram-air system in the WS6 Trans Am. We'd need to see more dyno's to know for sure though. It's all speculation since we only really have a single dyno to go off of.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
That's the best explanation that I've seen so far. It makes sense as the cold-air intake could have a sort of ram-air effect. If the airbox is sealed from the rest of the engine bay when the hood is closed, pretty much all of the air the engine gets is from the cold-air intake from the tiny little opening on the right side of the front grille.

full.jpg

It only makes sense that more air will be forced into that little hole as you're driving down the freeway giving you more power. Kind of like the ram-air system in the WS6 Trans Am. We'd need to see more dyno's to know for sure though. It's all speculation since we only really have a single dyno to go off of.
Great picture....out of curiosity - why did you have it off?

Sponsored

JamesR350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2017 GT, 1998 GT

full.jpg

Thank for the picture. First the way I read the dyno post is that as the car accelerates the dyno room is getting hot and that heat is producing less power at higher rpms. The Wind tunnel is keeping clean cool air flowing.

In response to the rest of this thread I had my first oil change at 700 miles when Brenspeed installed my Whipple. My car made 729 RWHP, it is a 2019 GT350R. I drove the car back to VA with no issues. So from the picture the shroud and intake tube come out with the Whipple. I also had a high flow radiator installed and the car runs 20 degrees cooler.

Staggerlee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
My engine tag is a KA but I have 2 signatures on the builders tag. Is that common? I thought the "KA" engines only had one.
That is odd. All I can think is a very early build 2019, a pre-2019 engine or a goof.

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
Mine was built in March, KA tag and 2 engine builders. With the the production snafu's the 2019 model year had, it may have affected the engine assembly teams. They may have started the '19 run with 2 builders per engine and when the hold on delivery was made, they may have slowed to one builder per engine? They may have also shifted part of the team to work / train on the GT500's engine assembly? Purely speculation.

Last edited:

NUTNDUN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Mine is a 2019 K0412 with the KA motor and pretty sure it has two signatures on the tag also.

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I don't think anyone read your post. This explains it all. The 2019+ is not making more power than the rest of them. IF it is making anything more, it'll only be a little bit due to the changes but the wind tunnel part of the dyno is what's causing the huge HP difference.
Back to back runs on a Dyno would tell us

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Back to back runs on a Dyno would tell us
I respectfully completely disagree. Running the same car multiple times will give you different results for even the same car, often by a difference of over 5hp. On top of that, natural variations in otherwise identical engines will also yield different results between the same car/engine. Dyno's are great for tuning, but they aren't an exact metric for trying to determine the power of an engine.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I respectfully completely disagree. Running the same car multiple times will give you different results for even the same car, often by a difference of over 5hp. On top of that, natural variations in otherwise identical engines will also yield different results between the same car/engine. Dyno's are great for tuning, but they aren't an exact metric for trying to determine the power of an engine.
3x runs without wind tunnel and 3x runs with wind tunnel in equivalent humidity and temp shouldn’t be too hard.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
3x runs without wind tunnel and 3x runs with wind tunnel in equivalent humidity and temp shouldn’t be too hard.
But it still ignores the fact that identical cars will naturally make different levels of power. Our cars don't all make 526hp. Mine might have rolled off the line making 522hp. The car in front of me on the assembly line might be making 528hp. It doesn't mean the car in front of me on the assembly line was built or made any differently. Likewise, you can't assume drivetrain loss will be identical between cars. Random variations in something like gear lash could mean one car's transmission or differential spins more freely and therefore has less drive-train loss, yielding an artificially higher wheel hp number. HP is not a fixed absolute number.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
But it still ignores the fact that identical cars will naturally make different levels of power. Our cars don't all make 526hp. Mine might have rolled off the line making 522hp. The car in front of me on the assembly line might be making 528hp. It doesn't mean the car in front of me on the assembly line was built or made any differently. Likewise, you can't assume drivetrain loss will be identical between cars. Random variations in something like gear lash could mean one car's transmission or differential spins more freely and therefore has less drive-train loss, yielding an artificially higher wheel hp number. HP is not a fixed absolute number.
Back to back dynos in and out of wind tunnel would tell us plenty about the wind tunnel effect. And if we do 3-4 cars of 17s and 3-4 cars of 19 on the dunk and see a pattern (say, average of 15-20hp delta), that could be a fair sample size to lead to investigation, as that’s vastly more than the 5hp you mentioned. The person you responded to could have been referring to either case.
Sponsored