Sponsored

2019 5.2 Voodoo Bbq / typewriter tick

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I have a bottle and have been very tempted to try it but it’s coal black and will turn the oil black. If something happens to the engine I fear they will disallow my warranty because I used it
Where did you find it and when? I don't think it's been made for quite awhile. Maybe some dealers have some collecting dust on the shelves?
Sponsored

NastyPumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Boosted Mustang GT
The reason Motorcraft stopped making XL-17 was it did not have a long shelf-life. After time the carbon would completely stick to the bottom & side of the bottle. That's what long time Ford Powertrain Engineers told me.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The reason Motorcraft stopped making XL-17 was it did not have a long shelf-life. After time the carbon would completely stick to the bottom & side of the bottle. That's what long time Ford Powertrain Engineers told me.
Well, my little experiment in the oil section thread, shows that Ceratec also stuck pretty good to the bottom of a glass jar. Something I didn't think would happen with smooth glass. Maybe that's why Ceratec comes in a metal bottle???

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Well, my little experiment in the oil section thread, shows that Ceratec also stuck pretty good to the bottom of a glass jar. Something I didn't think would happen with smooth glass. Maybe that's why Ceratec comes in a metal bottle???
So does that mean that it would stick to the bottom of the plastic oil pan and create issues ?

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Where did you find it and when? I don't think it's been made for quite awhile. Maybe some dealers have some collecting dust on the shelves?
I purchased it off ebay from a fellow who had two bottles. It was still sealed .

I also traded emails with a person who used it in their Boss 302 and he said changing to Driven 5-50 oil quieted it more so than the additive.

I really worry about adding stuff like this if the motor fails because it gives a Ford an excuse to deny an expensive claim. Perhaps it’s best to live with the noise

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Btw, thank you for doing that experiment- very well done and informative
Thanks. After messing with this stuff a bit, I think that it may stick to the bottom of the plastic oil pan as well. However, when the oil heats up, and circulates for several minutes, I see no reason why it wouldn't mix back in. I only say that, because the glass jar was at room temperature for over a month to maximize the settling. Shaking it with room temp oil, did get most of it to mix back in after several minutes of shaking. Only a little bit stayed stuck to the bottom. I would think at high temp, the rest would probably mix back in, even if it's a plastic oil pan.

shelbyzim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
My 2017 has the same tick noise after the car has been warmed up.
Appeared after first oil change - only after car warms up and driven a little - BUT- tick went away after a few months.

Did my second oil change recently and same tick is back after the car is warm.
It becomes minimal or disappears if I switch the AC on or slightly raise the RPM.
Its doesn't change its frequency based on RPM which is a good thing (not connected to engine directly)
My dealer couldn't find the source or why it was happening.

Definitely connected to oil change. Seems like fresh oil makes this tick appear and goes away as the oil becomes older.

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Appeared after first oil change - only after car warms up and driven a little - BUT- tick went away after a few months.

It becomes minimal or disappears if I switch the AC on or slightly raise the RPM.
Its doesn't change its frequency based on RPM which is a good thing (not connected to engine directly)

Definitely connected to oil change. Seems like fresh oil makes this tick appear and goes away as the oil becomes older.
I have about 1100 miles on my oil now and the sound of my tick is noticeable less than what it was with fresh oil. I pulled a sample and sent it to Blackstone and it

I have placed about 1,100 miles on my oil and the sound has diminished significantly since I first changed the oil.

I send a sample to Blackstone Labs and it came back very clean. I am starting to buy the cavitation theory
ED286CBD-941B-4AE5-9572-05D4DF22E43E.jpeg
Sponsored