tjcloutier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Shelby GT350
Hi all

I can’t find that this has been covered yet but has anyone actually driven and/or tracked the 2020 GT350 or GT350R that can say whether it’s worth it for the upgrades(steering and whatnot)? I know there was a price increase but just not sure to go with a 2019 or 2020
Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Differences are between MY19 R and MY20 R. Non-R upgrades occurred starting with MY-19. MY-20 non_Rs carry the same upgrades as previous year non-Rs, no additional ones.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
To add to what Caballus said, the steering change was going from the pre-2020 R to the 2020 R, which now uses a different rack and knuckles. Users who have driven both said the change wasn't large enough to warrant buying a different car over it. I know the search on this forum isn't the best, but since you've started multiple new threads on things already recently discussed, try to search for and look for the other threads to avoid new ones so we can keep information organized:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...onto-the-gt350-solutions.133329/#post-2749007

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
Not worth it my opinion unless you are an absolute track rat with tons of experience and can handle a car like Randy Pobst. You can steal a 2019 right now at most Ford dealers. Mine can't give them away.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Not worth it my opinion unless you are an absolute track rat with tons of experience and can handle a car like Randy Pobst. You can steal a 2019 right now at most Ford dealers. Mine can't give them away.
I dont think Randy could tell the difference

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Huh, what I remember reading seemed to me like the modification/change sacrificed some steering feel for a faster initial turn in. The way I remember it, the earlier design seemed preferable unless you are super annoyed by tramlining. I think the 2020 will have better street manners (less tramlining), but not as good road feel. Those who are buying a GT350R and plan to drive on the highway a lot - want a laid back cruiser even though they bought a GT350R - might prefer the 2020 over the 2019. Basically Ford wanted the GT500 to be a little more isolated than the original GT350R - and in 2020 the GT350R got the same treatment as the GT500. So the 2020 GT350R will be a better highway cruiser than the previous model years.

I was glad that the changes weren't made on the regular GT350, because I don't mind the tramlining and I prefer to have more steering feel.

Maybe I misread this and I would be interested in being corrected, but I remember this pretty distinctly - I'd be surprised if I have it wrong.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Huh, what I remember reading seemed to me like the modification/change sacrificed some steering feel for a faster initial turn in. The way I remember it, the earlier design seemed preferable unless you are super annoyed by tramlining. I think the 2020 will have better street manners (less tramlining), but not as good road feel. Those who are buying a GT350R and plan to drive on the highway a lot - want a laid back cruiser even though they bought a GT350R - might prefer the 2020 over the 2019. Basically Ford wanted the GT500 to be a little more isolated than the original GT350R - and in 2020 the GT350R got the same treatment as the GT500. So the 2020 GT350R will be a better highway cruiser than the previous model years.

I was glad that the changes weren't made on the regular GT350, because I don't mind the tramlining and I prefer to have more steering feel.

Maybe I misread this and I would be interested in being corrected, but I remember this pretty distinctly - I'd be surprised if I have it wrong.
Basically correct although an alignment can significantly reduce tramline

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Basically correct although an alignment can significantly reduce tramline
Thanks! I've been paying attention because I've been dying to buy another GT350.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Thanks! I've been paying attention because I've been dying to buy another GT350.
I did some research and there are some inexpensive aftermarket bracing you can add that people say reduce tramlining by 70% or more. I don't mind it that much but when I switched from the PSS tires to my winter tires I noticed tramlining was 100% eliminated.

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
I did some research and there are some inexpensive aftermarket bracing you can add that people say reduce tramlining by 70% or more. I don't mind it that much but when I switched from the PSS tires to my winter tires I noticed tramlining was 100% eliminated.
Any link to that kind of info?
cheers!~

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I never bought into that particular brace doing what people said it did. But it isn't expensive.

Tramlining in the GT350 never bothered me that much in my typical use. I did take one drive on terrible roads where I really hated life, but that was only one drive in 3 1/2 years of ownership.

I had the same thing with my winter tires - no tramlining.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Any link to that kind of info?
cheers!~
There are different braces out there but here is an example of one:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/decrease-tramlining-steeda-g-brace-works.62373/

I saw a thread on the GT350 Facebook group and several people swore by this one:
https://www.lethalperformance.com/bmr-s550-mustang-front-subframe-chassis-brace-red.html

I think it is important to ensure your car has a proper alignment first and foremost. I always start with that before doing any other suspension mods as it can make a big difference if your car is already out of alignment. Then try a brace. They are not terrible expensive to buy or hard to install so it's probably worth looking into. My C7 tramlined worse than my GT350 so I am pretty used to it, but the roads here are terrible so any reduction for me is welcomed.

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
So here is a question......so if some stay firm it is the type of tire, and how wide, that really causes tramlining, then why doesn't the new GT500, or redone GT350R with the GT500 front end do it as much, if at all?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So here is a question......so if some stay firm it is the type of tire, and how wide, that really causes tramlining, then why doesn't the new GT500, or redone GT350R with the GT500 front end do it as much, if at all?
Tramlining happens when a tire, and it could be front or rear, tries to follow or climb an uneven piece of pavement. The best example is the ruts that trucks make in highways - if they're deep, the tires can throw you from side to side as they try to climb the walls at the edges of the ruts.

Different tires respond differently. My MPSC2's seem to tramline more than my MPSS's and I've got a set of A/S3's that don't do it at all on the same roads. I've also run Pirelli Trofeo R's on my GT350 and they didn't tramline at all either.

It's very tire dependent. It's also tire condition dependent - a new set of MPSC2's is diabolical, but a set with a track day or two and some pick-up rubber on them can be quite civilized, although they're noisy that way. I had a set of heat-cycled-out MPSC2's last year on the rear that made my drive home from the track exhausting because the back end of the car would step out but the front wouldn't.

I have the Steeda cross-brace and it helped a bit, but not completely.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I have not driven a new 2020 GT350R with the new steering rack that includes redesigned front suspension geometry and the high-trail steering knuckle but it is my understanding that any tramlining has been eliminated on the 2020 R model when coming in contact with uneven roads and really looking forward to that being the case on my new R.

Having owned a 2016, 2017 and still own a 2018 R model tramlining is still very prevalent with my 2018 R when I come in contact with ruts or uneven roads paths and as many of you know we need to be at the top of our game when that can happen so suddenly especially at speed.
Sponsored