2019 GT350 vs 2020

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I think a lot of this has to do with what you are use to. Not that it doesn’t exist. My convertible 16 lowered on 20’s did it ever so slightly. My 20 350 not at all that I can tell, but have only 20 miles on it so far. My daily is a 19 F450 with a 12’ bed. That tram lines like crazy. I can’t blame the vehicles though, the reality is for me the roads are utter crap when the tram lining is evident.
Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I have not driven a new 2020 GT350R with the new steering rack that includes redesigned front suspension geometry and the high-trail steering knuckle but it is my understanding that any tramlining has been eliminated on the 2020 R model when coming in contact with uneven roads and really looking forward to that being the case on my new R.

Having owned a 2016, 2017 and still own a 2018 R model tramlining is still very prevalent with my 2018 R when I come in contact with ruts or uneven roads paths and as many of you know we need to be at the top of our game when that can happen so suddenly especially at speed.
My 19 is much better then my 16 ever was. Its not gone but no where near what the earlier car was

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I've noticed that tramlining occurs with the road condition. On smooth, highway roads I don't feel any tramlining. But on bad and mostly uneven roads I feel tramlining a lot. Also, it depends which mode you driving with. Sport and Track modes will tramlining more than Normal due to stiffening suspensions and firmer steering setup. That being said, I haven't feel any tramlining on any roads in my previous cars. But thous cars weren't track oriented. So, I'm OK with tramlining, it doesn't bother me at all. I have fun driving this car. :like:

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
It strikes me odd that if in some ways the old set up had more of a track feedback and vibe that if ford was.going to put it on one of the cars they did so on the gt350R....the so called hardcore track version and didn't put it on the base 350. Many of us picked the base as we knew it would be driven mostly if not all street miles, so if this improved the steering wander they should give to the buyers of the more 'street' version of the car, the normal gt350 (?)

Maybe they had throw the R buyers a bone after all the 2019 upgrades on the standard 350 if the cars were getting too close to one another , as maybe the reality is many do track the car, but many with the money to buy new are never going to track it (?)

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
It strikes me odd that if in some ways the old set up had more of a track feedback and vibe that if ford was.going to put it on one of the cars they did so on the gt350R....the so called hardcore track version and didn't put it on the base 350. Many of us picked the base as we knew it would be driven mostly if not all street miles, so if this improved the steering wander they should give to the buyers of the more 'street' version of the car, the normal gt350 (?)

Maybe they had throw the R buyers a bone after all the 2019 upgrades on the standard 350 if the cars were getting too close to one another , as maybe the reality is many do track the car, but many with the money to buy new are never going to track it (?)
I would suggest that you are correct that most buying a 2020 R will probably not track their car but certainly nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

Many of us older enthusiasts are done with tracking our cars from previous years and just want to drive the best GT350R that is presently being offered by Ford which includes the redesigned front suspension geometry along with the new high-trail steering knuckle.

Is the new and improved steering rack for the 2020 R worth an extra $5,000, probably not but at my age with this possibly being the last new HP Mustang that I will ever purchase and also suggesting that this will be the last year for the GT350R I personally have no problem with paying the extra money for these improved features.

Sponsored

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
I would suggest that you are correct that most buying a 2020 R will probably not track their car but certainly nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

Many of us older enthusiasts are done with tracking our cars from previous years and just want to drive the best GT350R that is presently being offered by Ford which includes the redesigned front suspension geometry along with the new high-trail steering knuckle.

Is the new and improved steering rack for the 2020 R worth an extra $5,000, probably not but at my age with this possibly being the last new HP Mustang that I will ever purchase and also suggesting that this will be the last year for the GT350R I personally have no problem with paying the extra money for these improved features.

I agree. if I didn't already buy, maybe I would of spent that extra as well.

I thought long and hard about the dual motor Tesla that...well ......are awesome if you ever got in one. But I feel this car might be my last go round with an "ass kicking" all-american gas powered car, so be it a good or bad investment, I went for it

Also part of the reason I went 6 speed manual .... a dying art

My guess is if I have it 5 years or more, by that time, the electrics will be too strong to ignore

CoolHandLuke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R (Chassis #LR001)
I have not driven a new 2020 GT350R with the new steering rack that includes redesigned front suspension geometry and the high-trail steering knuckle but it is my understanding that any tramlining has been eliminated on the 2020 R model when coming in contact with uneven roads and really looking forward to that being the case on my new R.

Having owned a 2016, 2017 and still own a 2018 R model tramlining is still very prevalent with my 2018 R when I come in contact with ruts or uneven roads paths and as many of you know we need to be at the top of our game when that can happen so suddenly especially at speed.
The '20 R does tramline a little bit on bad roads but it's vastly improved from previous years.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Seems to me the tramlining problem is solved by putting street tires on the car instead of running around on track tires. A $1400 fix doesn't strike me as undue hardship for people who found 65 large in the piggy bank. (ditto PP2 owners)

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Seems to me the tramlining problem is solved by putting street tires on the car instead of running around on track tires. A $1400 fix doesn't strike me as undue hardship for people who found 65 large in the piggy bank. (ditto PP2 owners)
Certainly don't disagree with your comments but having said that if I can live with the tramlining issues from my 2016, 2017 and 2018 R's and understanding that the 2020 R is much improved over those previous model years I see no real reason for replacing the Cup 2 tires on my new R.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I never bought into that particular brace doing what people said it did. But it isn't expensive.

Tramlining in the GT350 never bothered me that much in my typical use. I did take one drive on terrible roads where I really hated life, but that was only one drive in 3 1/2 years of ownership.

I had the same thing with my winter tires - no tramlining.
Have to agree. When I bought my 17 with 2300 miles on it that brace was the only add on I found on the car. But then I noticed all of the bolts on it were all real loose so in effect it was like no brace. So I torqued down all the bolts hoping for a bit of tramlining improvement - but I couldn’t feel any over this particular piece of road I drove over daily. I found boosting tire pressures up a little, setting toe to 0 and keeping the steering on the comfort level did the most to reduce it short of changing tires.

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
We will see. Keep in mind a lot of the owners who don't mind the tramling don't live here. With rare exception, ALL roads here suckkkkkk. I test drove a gt350 in Charlotte and it was dreamy. I test drove one in Redford, Michigan and it had that same feeling as when you step on the brakes and something is wrong with the brake system, where it wants to pull to one side.....but I wasn't braking

My .02 cents is that some people with concerns about the tramling are dealing with it far, far more then others that think it's no big deal, due to environment
Sponsored