Sponsored

2018+ OEM Harmonic Balancer

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
It was mentioned that the 2018 OEM harmonic balancers were upgraded. Did anyone figure out if the 18+ balancer is a direct fit to a 15-17 5.0 and is there merit in switching if this is a direct bolt on ?
Sponsored

Last edited:

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Fluid dampened from what I read. But I dunno about fitment

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
Gonna bump this as I am wondering about this as well. Thanks.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
2021 went back to the older style, likely for cost savings.
Which is interesting, because in articles describing the difference between Gen 2 and Gen 3 Coyotes, most mention the upgraded damper as one of the reasons for the increased redline to 7500 (along with a few other tidbits like stiffer springs and re-balanced crankshaft).

But now that they are going back to the non-fluid damper yet keeping the 7500rpm redline, it makes me wonder if the damper was never really needed to begin with. I'm sure it's better, but not 100% required if Ford was able to achieve the same engine speed without it.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
It does seem like opg failures are rare on the gen3 in spite of the higher rpm, and according to the oft-quoted Ford insider, harmonics is what was causing the failures to begin with.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It does seem like opg failures are rare on the gen3 in spite of the higher rpm, and according to the oft-quoted Ford insider, harmonics is what was causing the failures to begin with.
Makes me wonder if the new engines have the belt driven variable pump that the f150 has. But there's no real way to confirm. But given they went back to the old damper, I can't think of any other reason.

Last edited:
OP
OP

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Maybe the smart guys at Ford have had enough time to mitigate the critical vibrations via ECU/PCM programing strategy vs. fluid style mechanical crankshaft damper.
I’m just guessing but with torque based Drive by wire engine management the Coyote team has figured out how to reduce loads at the damaging critical speed points via cam timing, ignition timing, throttle position etc.
This is all a guess on my part based on the assumption the OPG is failing due to those nasty Critical Speed points along the operating RPM range.

Last edited:

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Maybe the smart guys at Ford have had enough time to mitigate the critical vibrations via ECU programing strategy vs. fluid style mechanical crankshaft damper.
I’m just guessing but with torque based Drive by wire engine management the Coyote team has figured out how to reduce loads at the damaging critical speed points via cam timing, ignition timing, throttle position etc.
This is all a guess on my part based on the assumption the OPG is failing due to those nasty Critical Speed points along the operating RPM range.
Could also be the 2021+ has better OPG's.

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
I was curious to see how much this fluid damper is, but I cant find it anywhere. Was wondering if its significantly less than an ATI. I plan to change the damper whenever I get to the pump gears/sprocket.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
It was mentioned that the 2018 OEM harmonic balancers were upgraded
If by upgraded you mean downgraded cause Ford cheaped out and went with a elastomer harmonic damper on the 18+.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Pulley - Crankshaft - Ford (KR3Z-6312-B)
122 @ tasca.