2018 Mustang BBQ TICK List

GothamEMS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Here is a list I compiled, which I gave to my Ford service advisor, who attached it to the work order for the tech. It was helpful with diagnosing my vehicle in one day...which confirmed the worst. Please feel free to use this list as a template or in whatever capacity that helps your case.
218C1019-FBF3-45C5-B640-AB8F018271EC.jpeg
Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Sometimes the simplest things are the hardest for a dealer to do.

Step 1 Cut open oil filter look for bearing material.
Step 2 Bore scope the cylinders for damage.
Step 3 If metal is found in filter replace entire LONG BLOCK. I guess Ford thinks it's ok to have metal floating through all the passages in the heads and the phasers.
Thank you for taking the time to make a list that anyone having this problem can take to a dealer and help make a case. Ford should make your list the FIRST STEP in diagnosing the issue, maybe the Ford Hotline should call forward their # to you LMAO.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I'd be careful telling a mechanic what to do, many are to prideful to listen and will think your trying to tell them how to do their job, I don't dispute how helpful that document is, I think peoples experiences will be different depending on if they get a decent mech or an ahole.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Sometimes the simplest things are the hardest for a dealer to do.

Step 1 Cut open oil filter look for bearing material.
Step 2 Bore scope the cylinders for damage.
Step 3 If metal is found in filter replace entire LONG BLOCK. I guess Ford thinks it's ok to have metal floating through all the passages in the heads and the phasers.
Thank you for taking the time to make a list that anyone having this problem can take to a dealer and help make a case. Ford should make your list the FIRST STEP in diagnosing the issue, maybe the Ford Hotline should call forward their # to you LMAO.
They dont want to check oil filters I think because they know what they will find and don't want to replace hundreds of long blocks. They are trying to get away with as much as they can.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I can tell you right now what the fix will be when they figure it out :

New block with sleeves instead of spray in liner and possible bearing clearance adjustments.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GothamEMS

GothamEMS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I'd be careful telling a mechanic what to do, many are to prideful to listen and will think your trying to tell them how to do their job, I don't dispute how helpful that document is, I think peoples experiences will be different depending on if they get a decent mech or an ahole.
I get the whole ego thing, I deal with egos all day long, I really do...but I didn’t want to end up with all kinds of new parts/repairs on my car, that weren’t the problem. By rolling the dice with my list, I made it pretty clear I had some mechanical knowledge, and suggested a place to start. I didn’t want the dealer to believe they could just pacify me with the whole “it’s normal” crap. In my case, it was helpful on my first visit to the dealer dealing with this issue. I completely understand your angle though.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Gotham, I've had the tick for quite some time now. My last oil change the other day, I found almost nothing in the filter, I kept the oil, and think I will go to the auto shop to get a funnel filter, and filter all that oil, just see what might be floating around in there.

That said, I kind of made a boo-boo I think. I did an oil change with PUP 5w30 a couple days ago, and the tick was still there. As an experiment, I added just a tiny bit of Ceratec oil additive. Low and behold, the tick is all but gone in a just a day. Now, if I take it in and have them diagnose the tick, they might just give it back, and say it's fine, and everything is normal. What worries me is that the damage is done, but the oil change/additive is covering it up now.

NastyPumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Boosted Mustang GT
Gotham, I've had the tick for quite some time now. My last oil change the other day, I found almost nothing in the filter, I kept the oil, and think I will go to the auto shop to get a funnel filter, and filter all that oil, just see what might be floating around in there.

That said, I kind of made a boo-boo I think. I did an oil change with PUP 5w30 a couple days ago, and the tick was still there. As an experiment, I added just a tiny bit of Ceratec oil additive. Low and behold, the tick is all but gone in a just a day. Now, if I take it in and have them diagnose the tick, they might just give it back, and say it's fine, and everything is normal. What worries me is that the damage is done, but the oil change/additive is covering it up now.

Dump the oil and put the Motorcraft 5W-20 back in. I've done a bore scope (all good) on mine and have not found any metal in the oil or filter. I did have a lite tick at cold start up only. It is now gone using PUP 5W-30.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Dump the oil and put the Motorcraft 5W-20 back in. I've done a bore scope (all good) on mine and have not found any metal in the oil or filter. I did have a lite tick at cold start up only. It is now gone using PUP 5W-30.
I thought about that, but the oil is brand new. They heard the tick at the dealer last time I was there. I told them I was changing up to 5w30, so they know. So, I'm just going to take it in, and talk to them about it. I think they'll understand not wanting to dump a fresh oil change. If anything, I may want to see if they will run diagnostics on the timing and cam sensors first. Just to see if there are any irregularities like what 50hsilver had. If not, I may see if I can convince them to scope the cylinders. Outside of that, I just don't have any idea what the issue could be.
The thing is, I just went out in the garage, and filtered the entire 10qts of used oil with a brand new white T-shirt (don't worry, they're only Jockey brand). Anyway, I found 5... yes 5 noticeable flakes of metal smaller than a flea. And believe me, I really had to search for them.

To me that seems pretty normal.

Sponsored
OP
OP
GothamEMS

GothamEMS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I thought about that, but the oil is brand new. They heard the tick at the dealer last time I was there. I told them I was changing up to 5w30, so they know. So, I'm just going to take it in, and talk to them about it. I think they'll understand not wanting to dump a fresh oil change. If anything, I may want to see if they will run diagnostics on the timing and cam sensors first. Just to see if there are any irregularities like what 50hsilver had. If not, I may see if I can convince them to scope the cylinders. Outside of that, I just don't have any idea what the issue could be.
The thing is, I just went out in the garage, and filtered the entire 10qts of used oil with a brand new white T-shirt (don't worry, they're only Jockey brand). Anyway, I found 5... yes 5 noticeable flakes of metal smaller than a flea. And believe me, I really had to search for them.

To me that seems pretty normal.
For the life of me...I don’t know why dealers aren’t scoping these engines first...it literally is one of the easiest tests to perform, and will provide very valuable information

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I get the whole ego thing, I deal with egos all day long, I really do...but I didn’t want to end up with all kinds of new parts/repairs on my car, that weren’t the problem. By rolling the dice with my list, I made it pretty clear I had some mechanical knowledge, and suggested a place to start. I didn’t want the dealer to believe they could just pacify me with the whole “it’s normal” crap. In my case, it was helpful on my first visit to the dealer dealing with this issue. I completely understand your angle though.
Smart man, I told my dealer I didn't want parts being thrown at it, just replace the engine, but no fishing expeditions. You got a cool mech.. One I got was a little standoffish at first until I got him to verify it, than eased up a bit.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
For the life of me...I don’t know why dealers aren’t scoping these engines first...it literally is one of the easiest tests to perform, and will provide very valuable information
Because if they scope it and find damage, they're on the hook... Almost like the don't ask don't tell idea.

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
Gotham....did your tick go away once warmed up? Or did it stay once brought up to operating temp?

showbbq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Well my '18 Mustang GT automatic has the tick. Like many of you, I noticed it after an oil change (full synthetic). When I brought it to the service department a couple of months ago, they couldn't find any issues. So I put it out of my mind and went on my way. Until yesterday when I found information about this "typewriter" issue. The sound is not as noticeable now, but it's clearly apparent after a cold start. When I called the service department, the guy who answered knew exactly what I was talking about and says his guys have been "fixing" this issue with an oil additive.

I guess my next step will be to see if there are any shavings in the filter and go from there. What a headache.
Sponsored