Sponsored

2018 GT vs 2018 GT350

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
For most it is a mental masturbation game.

On the street and staying somewhat near the realm of legal speeds the 18 GT (if leaked specs and estimated pricing ring true) and GT350s are basically equal. The GT350 will pull higher Gs going through some country back roads but the seat of the pants thrill will be near identical for 95% of drivers. Only an idiot would consider pushing a street car 10/10ths on a public road and that is where the true difference between the cars in absolute handling lives...

In terms of looks and stares- the GT350 will get you a lot more. It is far rarer and you are driving something different and that has value to many. It is a great conversation starter but on the flip side I've seen very nicely modified GTs get a lot more attention at a car show then a stock GT350 sitting next to it.

Additionally, many enjoy the historical tie to the original 60's cars and that has value to many beyond just $$.

In terms of road track use (with coolers) the GT350 will be far superior and allow you to grow more as a driver.

Lastly and most importantly- if your buying the car to be 'cool', don't.

Steve McQueen was and would be "cool" in a Porsche, a Mustang, on a Motorcycle or driving a rusted out VW bug that topped out at 37 mph. McQueen was cool and brought the cool to the car. If you are not cool now you won't become cool just by buying and driving a GT350.
You missed one key thing, the glorious noise the GT350 makes.
Sponsored

El Diablo

Made in USA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
For me performance was only a part of the equation buying a GT350.

I owned a 2015 GT PP and regardless of what you bolted onto it or what the factory tweaked... It was still a GT. No slight to the GT. I loved it.

But like many of us here, since I was a kid I've always wanted an SVT car.

again no slight to the GT... But I can't see any GT350 owner trading in for an 18 GT for the value or closing performance gap. I think you buy a 350 because... well it's a GT350.

MrBHutch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R | 2014 Audi Q5 TDI
I've toyed with the idea of a GT or a GT350 for some time now. The prices of the 2015 GTs are getting quite intriguing - sub $28k for a PP/Recaros Decent mileage GT? Hot damn!

My worry is that I wouldn't be happy with it - even with mods. Back in 2005, I bought a 2001 Cobra because I was 19 and couldn't afford the 2003 that I really wanted. A few bolt ons and 6 months later I sold it and bought a 2003 and couldn't have been happier.

I'd have to do a GT350 just because it exists.... but would a 2016 R be a better buy than a 2017/2018 electronics package? First world problems I guess...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think the GT is a better bang for the buck. There's always a reasonable or normal level of performance based on current automotive technology and government regulations and when you try to push past that the costs go up quickly.

I had owned a few GTs in a row and I was bored with them. Two possible options were power adder or GT350. I didn't want to go all the way up into the 600+ or 700+ hp range yet, because once I get bored with that I'm in a bit of trouble. That plus the mystique of the flat plane crank engine and suspension for the road course is why I went with the GT350. I have to say that the car is much more than the sum of its parts. I think Ford did an amazing job with the GT350 and I'm grateful I own one.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I think the GT is a better bang for the buck. There's always a reasonable or normal level of performance based on current automotive technology and government regulations and when you try to push past that the costs go up quickly.
I actually very much agree with this. However from my perspective, it was worth it based on other intrinsic parts of the equation. It's like asking a 458 owner if he or she got ripped off because a Z06 is half the price.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I actually very much agree with this. However from my perspective, it was worth it based on other intrinsic parts of the equation. It's like asking a 458 owner if he or she got ripped off because a Z06 is half the price.
Or asking the Ferrari 458 owner if they feel ripped off because the GT350R is faster around Laguna Seca. The nice thing about this part of the performance equation is it's easy for someone with relatively little money to obtain a car that performs very close to cars that cost 3x or 4x or more. Yes there are other intangibles I agree, but it's very satisfying to buy the cheaper car and understand that you got a lot for your money.

Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche 911 Turbo S & 2016 Shelby GT350R
I'd bet if the GT receives it's rumored HP bump to 455-475hp, and the 10spd auto which is confirmed, I bet it will beat the GT350 in a drag race only, and only the auto.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Or asking the Ferrari 458 owner if they feel ripped off because the GT350R is faster around Laguna Seca. The nice thing about this part of the performance equation is it's easy for someone with relatively little money to obtain a car that performs very close to cars that cost 3x or 4x or more. Yes there are other intangibles I agree, but it's very satisfying to buy the cheaper car and understand that you got a lot for your money.
Isn't the R more exclusive than the 458 and 488 as well?

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST

I had owned a few GTs in a row and I was bored with them. Two possible options were power adder or GT350. I didn't want to go all the way up into the 600+ or 700+ hp range yet, because once I get bored with that I'm in a bit of trouble. That plus the mystique of the flat plane crank engine and suspension for the road course is why I went with the GT350. I have to say that the car is much more than the sum of its parts. I think Ford did an amazing job with the GT350 and I'm grateful I own one.
I agree that the GT is a GREAT bang for the buck, and this is coming from someone who owned several GT500s. I absolutely loved my '15 GT, and after 2 years of ownership, had very little regret in trading my '14 GT500 in for it.

My '17 GT350 though is everything that it should be. Handling, feel, performance - fantastic. I do wish it had a little more low end torque, but once you hit that torque curve it's a rocket ship. I have no regrets in trading my '15 GT in on my '17 GT350.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
GT is a VERY nice car. But lets keep it straight.
GT350 always >>> GT.
GT500 >>>GT.
Actually.
BMW M2> GT
End of story

GT500 vs GT350 ?? time will tell.

Sponsored

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
GT350 always >>> GT.
GT500 >>>GT.
Actually.
BMW M2> GT
End of story

I disagree but it's my opinion.. I think the M2 is a fine car, slightly faster than the GT but one thing it lacked, was soul. My friends GT with an exhaust turns more heads, feels much more badass than you'll ever feel in an M2. No one can really tell the difference since it looks like most of the beamers out there, a turbo 6 that doesn't really rumble.

The muscle/pony image with the GT is well respected and people will know when that V8 is near. Apples to oranges tho.

I'll be very surprised if the GT matches the 350's performance.. it may get close, but it won't beat it especially around the twisties.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
GT350 always >>> GT.
GT500 >>>GT.
Actually.
BMW M2> GT
End of story

The GT costs half as much as the GT350. I sure hope the GT350 is at least a little better. And of course it is. But this thread wasn't about which is better, it's about bang for the buck.

So getting back on topic.. do you think the GT350 is twice as good as the GT? I don't. I think it's a lot better, but not twice as good.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The GT costs half as much as the GT350. I sure hope the GT350 is at least a little better. And of course it is. But this thread wasn't about which is better, it's about bang for the buck.

So getting back on topic.. do you think the GT350 is twice as good as the GT? I don't. I think it's a lot better, but not twice as good.
This.

I want(ed) a GT350, but have paused to see what the deal is on some of the engine failures. And the oil line debacle. And....

Meanwhile, the delta to trade from my GT increases, and I personally don't see the $30K+ difference.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Yeah, the 18GT will come with an added HP boost and magna ride option etc. Once you add all the options up don't be surprised to see it maybe 10k to 12k away from a 350. It won't have the body elements or HP boost and the wild 5.2 FPC. It's worth the extra money for the sound it makes ALONE.
It will be close to performance of the GT for 1 year...then the next FP car will be in a total different league again, unless you wanna just boost a 18/19 GT with a supercharger..and even then, chances are it will still have less HP than the FP vehicle.
One element of a specialty car is that the resale value will usually hold strong, but your also paying more for it.