Sponsored

2020 GT350 vs. 2018 GT3

Hawkeye1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, Tesla Mdl X, 911 GT3, V90, 911S, Z4
Hi all,

Nice to be back in the Mustang fold. Owned a 2016 GT350 (Tech Pack) and loved it. Traded it for something more exotic and faster (911 Turbo S), but missed the manual trans and the engagement. Scratched that itch with a 911 GT3 that I've owned for two years. I've also put over 13,000 miles on it, which is like a light-year in P-car world, so I started looking for something else to drive and keep the mileage down on the GT3. Zeroed in on a new GT350 after reading about the 'new and improved' version for 2019. They solved some of the gripes I had with the 2016 (lousy audio, must choose between Tech and Track Pack, piston slap, etc.), plus the Motor Trend review (along with others) convinced me to take the plunge. It was officially broken-in this weekend, so I spent Saturday running both cars through my favorite mountain roads here in Arkansas. I've never read anyone who directly compared the two, and I am blessed (and spoiled) enough to own both, so here are some thoughts.

First, both cars are excellent and both sound like choirs of angels at redline; the GT3 like angels from above and the GT350 like angels from the other place, but if listening to these engines doesn't do it for you, just choose the Prius and go Hypermiling. I don't want to create false drama, so I'll just acknowledge that the GT3 is the better car to drive hard, and it should be. The MSRP was three times higher than the GT350. It accelerates and brakes harder and the body control is better when you're getting after it in a mountain pass. It's more settled during rapid direction changes and makes you feel like a pro even (and especially) when you're not. I'm also spoiled by the 'auto rev match' feature. It's perfect and there is no chassis upset when you downshift, no matter how hard you're braking. That said, the GT350 held its own just fine. As long as you're above 4000 rpm, it has plenty of punch and the front end grip was a very nice surprise. There's obviously more weight in the nose, but once it turns in it just sticks and sticks and is great, scary fun. The biggest difference between the two runs came down to my lousy heel and toe action. Someone with more skill on the pedals could have avoided some serious suspension upsets on corner entry, which limited my courage and apex speeds. I still had a ball. My wife went along for both rides and her observations mirrored mine. The GT350 moves around more and generates more head toss, which she didn't like, but the car was more comfortable to ride in and doesn't have all the road noise and mechanical clatter of the GT3 which made for better transits to and from the mountains. Both cars have good but not great audio systems (Bose for the GT3, B&O for the GT350), both draw attention from other drivers, but in different ways, and both bring a smile. I hope to take them both to a track event this year to drive them back to back to make a more informed comparison at the limit. I also need to either buy an Auto-blip or really learn to heel and toe. The few times I got it right were awesome. The car deserves someone who can do it well. Anyway, let me know if anyone has questions. I'll post more as I add miles to the Shelby. Thanks.

Two red cars.jpg
Sponsored

genesis_1086

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2021 Cadillac Escalade ESV
Thank you for your thoughts. While a GT3 touring or a manual GT3 is my holy grail it is definitely out of reach financially for a bit. It is great to hear that while they are not directly comparable they are both great fun in their own unique way.

I picked up a CPO 19 GT350 this past Wednesday and I'm struggling with my foot work as well. I was spoilt silly with the awesome rev match on my 15 C7 Z51 and 17 C7 GS for the past 4 or so years. I'm focusing on getting re-acquainted with Rev Match downshifts first and will move to Heel/Toe afterwards. While it is fun to get back into re-learning smooth foot work, I would have definitely welcomed available auto rev-match.

I will say that in comparison to all my sports cars so far, Scion FR-S, C6 Corvette, C7 Z51 Corvette & C7 GS Corvette, the GT-350 so far has felt the most exciting to drive in the initial period of ownership. Credit goes to that wonderful FPC engine, kudos to Ford for coming up with such a bold, desirable and a very unique engine.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I'll post more as I add miles to the Shelby.

Two red cars.jpg
Thanks for providing feedback in comparison of these two great cars!
I love to read from people who own cars that they compare. Your comparison of GT3 vs. GT350 is very much consistent with what I read from the other owners of the same cars.

OP
OP
Hawkeye1

Hawkeye1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Literally the last bunch of NA high HP 6 speed manual sports cars (assuming your GT3 is manual).
It is definitely a manual. The Porsche PDK is great, but paddles don't bring the same joy .

Sponsored

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
A GT3 was at the top of my list at one time. In 2012 I did a few track laps in a brand new GT3 as a passenger with an experienced driver. The grip was unbelievable as were the brakes. You needed a harness. It was obvious I would never be a good enough driver to test the limits of that car. My GT is fun, more practical and way cheaper.

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Got a chance to drive a PDK 2018 GT3 a couple of years ago. Amazing car and one of my favorites. Although they are a stretch for me financially, I eagerly await the new model as if I am going to buy it. Lol...Nice to have direct feedback from someone who owns both cars. Kudos.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Congrats! Awesome pair of cars. Both in red; you must like attention from the police!

Don't get auto-blip, in my humble opinion. The GT350 is one of the last great analog (mostly) cars ... just take it as a challenge to master the pedals. Who cares about the few extra tenths vs. the joy of getting it right yourself.

mattballislife

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ballislife.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
gt350R
Just from experience and attending track attack.

Heel toe in the gt350 is really only applicable when tracking or needing a nice deep braking zone.

I’ve tried it many times on mountain/normal roads and I honestly don’t hit the threshold enough on them.

When I’m on a track and really need to brake I can achieve heel toe much easier.

This question came up from a few of us at the track attack event Ford has and the instructors pretty much said that due to the type of car it is with the high revving motor and big brakes that you need to hit the brakes pretty hard to get a good heel toe.

Nice stable!

Hangman77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt350R Heritage
Great write up. I’ve been battling many gt3’s every week in my 2020 gt350r. It can hold its own for sure on the track.

move considered the auto blip, but it appears that they don’t have a module for our year car yet as the pedal accelerator unit is not compatible with the autoblip they have. So be careful ordering it.

get some upgraded racing pedals and it will make heel toe even easier. Just keep practicing.

enjoy your car!!

Sponsored

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Hill-Toe can be achieved anywhere. Just need to brake later before corner or at the traffic light/stop sign(can't do this with my wife in the car though 🙂 ). That being said, Hill-Toe in my S4 can be done without hard braking as it's in GT350. And I agree, on the track Hill-Toe is much easier and more fun to do.

MNGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 base comp orange
For regular driving on regular roads, do you think the GT350 provides more smiles than the GT3?
Since both of these cars can barely be pushed at all without going to jail in normal driving, I would think the feedback, vibrations, noise, and raw nature of the Ford would be more rewarding for a milk run than the GT3. (at least I tell myself that so I don't follow through on setting up a GT3 savings account)

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Nice report. Not having three times the money available and liking Shelby stuff, I opted for the GT350 and have no regrets thus far. I am glad to see that guys who like sports cars are taking note of the modestly priced GT350.

Yes, mine turns heads and sounds great and is the most fun I've had driving in years. It is head and shoulders better than my last Mustang.

OP
OP
Hawkeye1

Hawkeye1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For regular driving on regular roads, do you think the GT350 provides more smiles than the GT3?
Since both of these cars can barely be pushed at all without going to jail in normal driving, I would think the feedback, vibrations, noise, and raw nature of the Ford would be more rewarding for a milk run than the GT3. (at least I tell myself that so I don't follow through on setting up a GT3 savings account)
That's a tough question. The GT3 is more raw than you might expect. They remove much of the sound deadening material and remove the the rear seats, so you hear every pebble on the road and lots of flywheel and clutch noise, especially when it's cold. It also has a much shorter top gear, and turns around 3300 rpm at 80mph on the freeway, so engine noise is always present. When you put your foot in it, that noise is heavenly, but not so much when you're cruising. It's a relatively small displacement six cylinder, so you have to open the throttles and rev it to get the full monty. By contrast, the GT350 sounds great at idle, at part throttle, at full throttle, in reverse, falling off a cliff, etc. I literally smile every time I hit the Start button. It also has a much longer top gear, so highway cruising is much quieter and smoother. Lastly, the GT3 has a stiffer ride than the Shelby, with very clipped vertical motions and little to no squat /dive. It's supple enough that it doesn't crash over pavement breaks or expansion joints, but stiff is still stiff. I got the comfort seat options in both cars for that reason (leather trimmed sport seats in the GT350 and 18-Way in the GT3) because I'm not a kid and neither is my back. It may sound impossible (given the nature of the Shelby), but the GT350 is a more livable car on a daily basis. I've bought and sold a string of great cars (old Z28 Camaros, WRX, RX-8, multiple M3's, M5, 911 Turbo S, Macan Turbo, etc.), and I settled on these two for a reason: Every time you start them it's an 'event'. You know it when you drive them and other 'car people' know it too, so it's great to share them at Cars and Coffee or track days. I've let friends drive my cars on the street, the track and the strip, because you only get the complete experience from the driver's seat, and it's fun to share that. With these cars it's especially fun.

Last edited:

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
Hi all,

Nice to be back in the Mustang fold. Owned a 2016 GT350 (Tech Pack) and loved it. Traded it for something more exotic and faster (911 Turbo S), but missed the manual trans and the engagement. Scratched that itch with a 911 GT3 that I've owned for two years. I've also put over 13,000 miles on it, which is like a light-year in P-car world, so I started looking for something else to drive and keep the mileage down on the GT3. Zeroed in on a new GT350 after reading about the 'new and improved' version for 2019. They solved some of the gripes I had with the 2016 (lousy audio, must choose between Tech and Track Pack, piston slap, etc.), plus the Motor Trend review (along with others) convinced me to take the plunge. It was officially broken-in this weekend, so I spent Saturday running both cars through my favorite mountain roads here in Arkansas. I've never read anyone who directly compared the two, and I am blessed (and spoiled) enough to own both, so here are some thoughts.

First, both cars are excellent and both sound like choirs of angels at redline; the GT3 like angels from above and the GT350 like angels from the other place, but if listening to these engines doesn't do it for you, just choose the Prius and go Hypermiling. I don't want to create false drama, so I'll just acknowledge that the GT3 is the better car to drive hard, and it should be. The MSRP was three times higher than the GT350. It accelerates and brakes harder and the body control is better when you're getting after it in a mountain pass. It's more settled during rapid direction changes and makes you feel like a pro even (and especially) when you're not. I'm also spoiled by the 'auto rev match' feature. It's perfect and there is no chassis upset when you downshift, no matter how hard you're braking. That said, the GT350 held its own just fine. As long as you're above 4000 rpm, it has plenty of punch and the front end grip was a very nice surprise. There's obviously more weight in the nose, but once it turns in it just sticks and sticks and is great, scary fun. The biggest difference between the two runs came down to my lousy heel and toe action. Someone with more skill on the pedals could have avoided some serious suspension upsets on corner entry, which limited my courage and apex speeds. I still had a ball. My wife went along for both rides and her observations mirrored mine. The GT350 moves around more and generates more head toss, which she didn't like, but the car was more comfortable to ride in and doesn't have all the road noise and mechanical clatter of the GT3 which made for better transits to and from the mountains. Both cars have good but not great audio systems (Bose for the GT3, B&O for the GT350), both draw attention from other drivers, but in different ways, and both bring a smile. I hope to take them both to a track event this year to drive them back to back to make a more informed comparison at the limit. I also need to either buy an Auto-blip or really learn to heel and toe. The few times I got it right were awesome. The car deserves someone who can do it well. Anyway, let me know if anyone has questions. I'll post more as I add miles to the Shelby. Thanks.

Two red cars.jpg
Nice review! What part of Arkansas are you in Hawk? I grew up on the east side close to Memphis. My parents retired to Harrison.
Sponsored