GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Curious to get some of your thoughts.

I added active exhaust mufflers to my 19 GT PP but just run the motors off of a switch I added in by the steering wheel. works great and I can open and close the valves as well as adjust anywhere in between. My only concern is does keeping the valves closed all the way have a negative impact on the car?

I know that the active system in quiet mode will still open the valves at full throttle so I’m curious if there is enough flow through the quiet side of the mufflers when leaving the valves closed off.
How did you wire it up to a switch? Just positive and negative on a momentary switch or did you have a 3-pin connection?
Sponsored

MrBD1348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT MT-82
Does anyone know how to wire up a switch instead of to the car? My 2018 GT350 mufflers (kuster actuators) are 3-pin connectors. It’s 3 wires. It’s negative switched. It only opens and closes when I’ve attached power to power, and negative to negative, then take the 3rd wire and touch the negative terminal, then it opens. I don’t know how to exactly wire it up to a switch. Any help?
Not sure how that actuator works exactly. But if it opens when you touch pin 3 and stays open until you touch pin 3 again... then you can connect pins 1 and 2 as normal to power/ground. Then you can use a switch to disrupt the connection. A momentary toggle switch would be nice for flicking just to open and close quickly.

Edit: hoping you tapped the power from a 12v source that only comes on with the car's accessories etc. otherwise you would want to do something different.

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Not sure how that actuator works exactly. But if it opens when you touch pin 3 and stays open until you touch pin 3 again... then you can connect pins 1 and 2 as normal to power/ground. Then you can use a switch to disrupt the connection. A momentary toggle switch would be nice for flicking just to open and close quickly.

Edit: hoping you tapped the power from a 12v source that only comes on with the car's accessories etc. otherwise you would want to do something different.
So there’s 3 wires.
Wire #3 - Negative
Wire #2 - Switch Wire (also negative)
Wire #1 - Positive

Wire #1 - Gets connected to 12v power source (isn’t connected to the switch, just straight to power)
Wire #3 - Gets connected to constant ground on the frame
The part I can’t figure out is what to connect Wire #2 to.

My momentary switch is a reverse polarity 4 pin switch. I don’t know how to attach the wires to that for it to work. I have a thread I posted on my profile about this with a video linked if that might be of any help. Thank you for your help!

MrBD1348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT MT-82
So there’s 3 wires.
Wire #3 - Negative
Wire #2 - Switch Wire (also negative)
Wire #1 - Positive

Wire #1 - Gets connected to 12v power source (isn’t connected to the switch, just straight to power)
Wire #3 - Gets connected to constant ground on the frame
The part I can’t figure out is what to connect Wire #2 to.

My momentary switch is a reverse polarity 4 pin switch. I don’t know how to attach the wires to that for it to work. I have a thread I posted on my profile about this with a video linked if that might be of any help. Thank you for your help!
Okay so - you need a single pole momentary switch. 4 pin is not necessary.

- Fuse tap the positive to Wire #1.
- Negative to Wire #3
- Then run Wire #2 to the pole 1 of the momentary switch
- Lastly run a second negative wire to pole 2 of the momentary switch

When you hit the momentary toggle/button it'll complete the circuit and trigger the actuator

MrBD1348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT MT-82
E51B1C78-A6FB-4A10-9FAF-D9B3D75D6832.jpeg
Forgive the basic drawing here, it’s 2am so I just wanted to get this done quick. This is what would work for both actuators on a single momentary, fused so as not to draw when the car is off.

Sponsored

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
E51B1C78-A6FB-4A10-9FAF-D9B3D75D6832.jpeg
Forgive the basic drawing here, it’s 2am so I just wanted to get this done quick. This is what would work for both actuators on a single momentary, fused so as not to draw when the car is off.
I will try this after work. I really appreciate your help!

pmor4243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
How did you wire it up to a switch? Just positive and negative on a momentary switch or did you have a 3-pin connection?
Looks like you may have gotten what you needed. But I took both motors apart and just ran a positive/negative to each motor which then ran to a PWM switch and then to a reverse polarity momentary switch.

I added the PWM controller because the motors will open and close almost immediately, and the controller allows you to control the speed at which they open/close. So if you want to fine tune the exhaust note at all you can do that. Without the PWM controller, they will essentially be fully open or fully closed, which in reality is how I typically use it anyways.

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Looks like you may have gotten what you needed. But I took both motors apart and just ran a positive/negative to each motor which then ran to a PWM switch and then to a reverse polarity momentary switch.

I added the PWM controller because the motors will open and close almost immediately, and the controller allows you to control the speed at which they open/close. So if you want to fine tune the exhaust note at all you can do that. Without the PWM controller, they will essentially be fully open or fully closed, which in reality is how I typically use it anyways.
I mainly just want to open and close them. Closed when cold starting/starting in general, and obnoxiously loud and proud on the main roads/highways. BBK LTH + BBK Mid pipes + GT350 exhaust w/x-pipe cold starts are brutal!

WashtupRoper5dot0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium 5.0
2020 gt 400a. I don't have the plug under the car, however under the spare there is a plug that goes to the evap system that has numerous wires terminating in. The colors match except the gray with an orange stripe. I looked at the c246 plug under the kick panel and the female side had the same colors listed in this thread except wires on pin 2 and 3 were switched, and again the gray was with an orange stripe. I am Ok doing it with the hard wired switch, but much rather do it integrated. Is there a chance they reversed wires in 2020 (late 2020 build, almost 21). Also, I think the wires in the trunk are the same. Without wiring it all up is there a way to check these are the wires.

1st photo is c264, you can see gray with brown, 2 and 3 are trunk plug.
20211221_184335_copy_3000x2250.jpg

20211221_175945_copy_3000x2250.jpg

20211221_175940_copy_3000x2250.jpg
My 2020 GT Premium has the same plug. I ordered the male Molex 12 Pin Wire Connector Waterproof, Sealed Kit, MX150 w/CPA to connect from this gray connector to the jr3z14a411j harness underneath the car (through the trunk), but couldn't find the wiring diagram. Can you post how you mapped from this plug to the harness or actuators?

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I thought the wiring diagram was in this thread. I'll need to look on my computer.

My 2020 GT Premium has the same plug. I ordered the male Molex 12 Pin Wire Connector Waterproof, Sealed Kit, MX150 w/CPA to connect from this gray connector to the jr3z14a411j harness underneath the car (through the trunk), but couldn't find the wiring diagram. Can you post how you mapped from this plug to the harness or actuators?

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jarred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
I am having issues with this install on my 2018 GT. I was able to find used mufflers from a Gt500 with the actuators still on them. I got the 3 wiring harnesses from an online salvage yard that was pulled from a mustang with 450 miles on it. My car does not have the prewiring to the back of the car, so I had to follow ehazel's instructions on his install. Tapped all the same wires in the footwells as he did and ran those to a Molex connector that connects to the Y harness at the back of the car. Before I went through the trouble of routing the wires through the interior I wanted to verify everything worked before finalizing the install so, I plugged in the actuators and made the changes with forscan When I turn the ignition on I get the error msg "Exhaust mode selection not available" and am unable to change from normal mode.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
I am having issues with this install on my 2018 GT. I was able to find used mufflers from a Gt500 with the actuators still on them. I got the 3 wiring harnesses from an online salvage yard that was pulled from a mustang with 450 miles on it. My car does not have the prewiring to the back of the car, so I had to follow ehazel's instructions on his install. Tapped all the same wires in the footwells as he did and ran those to a Molex connector that connects to the Y harness at the back of the car. Before I went through the trouble of routing the wires through the interior I wanted to verify everything worked before finalizing the install so, I plugged in the actuators and made the changes with forscan When I turn the ignition on I get the error msg "Exhaust mode selection not available" and am unable to change from normal mode.
Do you have the fuse and relay present?

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The actuator connectors, are they a 4-pin or 3-pin connection?

Last edited: