170 MPH on public roads ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
I don’t post on this forum much. Had a 16 gt350, currently a 20 gt500. What a lot of you don‘t realize is the part of the country some of us live in. I lived in a VERY rural part of southern Indiana. Lots of well maintained, rural highways that have challenging curves, hills, and long straights. Sometimes you won’t meet anyone for 10 minutes, depending on time of day, day of the week. I have comfortably, and safely, (only risking myself), reached speeds regularly of 130, 150, 160+ many times, with very minimal to no risk of others. Some of you obviously live in parts of this country where this is not a safe option, but some of us do. I’m not trying to justify reckless behavior, but rural areas are a different story altogether. I bought this car to drive it, not have it polished up in the garage all the time. Got 5,000 miles on mine. But, to each their own. Be safe, but most of us bought these cars to have fun.
Same where I live in Indiana, can go miles without seeing a vehicle and high speed all the way until I see a car.
Sponsored

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
The douche in the video is a wanna-be racer asshole. Does a bunch of stupid, illegal, highly dangerous shit and posts it on YouTube. Just like millions of other used douche nozzles in the world.

Don't think the authorities are not noticing. Dick heads like this are selfish pricks who are going to fuck it up for the rest of us.
I wouldn't be surprised he doesn't get charged after posting this video. Bad move on his part.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Way to crazy on a 2 lane.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
@LSchicago Years ago one could do that on St Marys Rd in Lake county. Suburban sprawl killed that.

fastergt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP, 2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
And of course there would never be an animal (of any size) crossing the road, steer your way out of that one, that is if don't hit it.

Sponsored

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Far from rural if you ask me we all the passing he had to do..

LeohTheLion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Even tho I agree with most people here about it being reckless and all the endless possibilities of what could go wrong. There is laws in place to handle these kind of things. Who are we to tell him to not do this or that. He’s a grown man who will face the consequences if they ever even arrive. For the time being brotha have fun and enjoy it. Wish I was that bold to even try it once haha.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Americans generally have a widespread problem with ethics and legality.

It's possible for something to be illegal and ethical. Conversely, it's also possible for something to be legal and unethical.

What's more dangerous? Driving 70 mph in a full sized SUV or driving 90 mph in a McLaren 720S?

I would submit to you that even though one is legal and the other is breaking the law, the 720s can stop in a shorter distance, swerve and steer and avoid better, etc. I always tell people doing 75 mph in my 4Runner is more dangerous than 100 mph in my GT350.

I'm not trying to fully justify 173 on a non closed road, but the idea isn't as black/white as it's being presented.

Watching morons drive 70 mph towing a boat with a vehicle that's right on the edge of its capacity, one can't help but recognize the idea that just because something is legal doesn't make it smart or risk free. Conversely, if someone is exceeding the speed limit, even significantly, depending on the conditions, while illegal doesn't necessarily make it automatically excessively risky or irresponsible.

There's a lot of irresponsible isht that happens in the car enthusiast world, and I'm not sanctioning what happened in the video, but let's stop using the law as some sort of end all measuring stick for appropriateness or sensibility.
You're also ignoring that at higher speed, and lower seating position, will increase the distance you cover during your reaction time and changes the point as when YOU see an object vs when THEY do.

Yes, maybe you can break in the same distance if you are going 30MPH faster and hit the brakes at the same time, but when you see an object in the way you're already going to cover a greater distance BEFORE you react to that object than you would doing 70. A Higher seated driver in an SUV also has a larger chance of seeing an object over the horizon before a lower seated driver. So the SUV driver will not only see it first, but have covered LESS ground before they can react.

Sponsored
OP
OP
EF300

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Fellow Hoosier - 135 south of Nashville..... enough said, and other great roads do exist. I don't mind stretching the cars legs and mine but all within reason. On a recent run in southern IN a home owner cut a tree which feel across the road I was on - great brakes, calm thinking and enough room in the left lane (over centerline) allowed me to miss it. As well as my friend in a Z06.

Power corrupts, just use it wisely.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Even tho I agree with most people here about it being reckless and all the endless possibilities of what could go wrong. There is laws in place to handle these kind of things. Who are we to tell him to not do this or that. He’s a grown man who will face the consequences if they ever even arrive. For the time being brotha have fun and enjoy it. Wish I was that bold to even try it once haha.
I have every right, so do you and every other citizen, to expect people to respect and follow the laws. People see idiots like that and then lump as all into the same category. What they are doing, and posting it to the world, effect me directly.

Idiots, period.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I've learned to slow it down and be safe by not getting distracted by thin g s th....what?

c22495de5d9f7f6b5608b115c1ca8954.gif

giphyer.gif

Last edited:

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
This is hilarious. Grown men arguing. I missed this forum. Doesn't happen nearly as often at mbworld...something about Ford Drivers. Notice it on the Raptor forum as well.

Let us try to be better than arguing on the internet....just...be...better.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.