170 MPH on public roads ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
Let's not forget another unknown variable: animals on the road. As someone who survived a deer strike on a bike, this is a big one.

At high speeds, hitting something as small as a raccoon with a car can be catastrophic, to you and anyone you careen into.
Shattered the front splash guard on my Sentra hitting a raccoon. Didn't careen into anything though. Deer I get being a major hazard, but a racoon? Hitting something that size isn't going to make you lose control of the vehicle unless you panic.
Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I don’t know about jail but then again: “many times”?
I imagine there’s some children living in some kind of vicinity to these mythical roads where one can fly at airplane speeds, maybe an occasional bicyclist, or an elderly person pulling onto the road dangerously?
Or is this some kind of post-apocalyptic rural community where the only folks you might encounter are the undead?
My thoughts aren’t about jail for you but of the potential tragedy your high speed hobby might cause.
Even if the risk is minimal, I can’t see how it’s justifiable, especially not “many times”.
Go to a track if you really need to do this kind of thing that often.
Or find a less dangerous thing to do to get the same adrenaline rush.
You’re not James Bond, voodoo1, this isn’t a movie, someone could get hurt, and you’ll deservedly feel like a monster for the rest of your life if someone ever does on one of those fun little rides.
Might I suggest some of our ranch roads here in TX or, certain roads in the pacific NW ? They are what we call open range. In fact, the famed Texas Mile is another option. https://www.theusmileracing.com/ I am not nor, would I condone doing so in an urban area. However, when the only thing between one and the north pole is a barbed wire fence ? "Uncork the bitch !"

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Shattered the front splash guard on my Sentra hitting a raccoon. Didn't careen into anything though. Deer I get being a major hazard, but a racoon? Hitting something that size isn't going to make you lose control of the vehicle unless you panic.
I've seen the result of one having gone through a front fascia, destroying the radiator and bent a lower control arm, which sent the car into the ditch. Had to have been a big one, but there wasn't much left of it. I'd never seen such a thing with a raccoon.

Wild turkeys are another thing not to hit.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
I've seen the result of one having gone through a front fascia, destroying the radiator and bent a lower control arm, which sent the car into the ditch. Had to have been a big one, but there wasn't much left of it. I'd never seen such a thing with a raccoon.

rocket-raccoon-guardians-of-the-galaxy.jpg

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Thanks for the ego check. James Bond?? You don’t know where I drive. No bicyclists, no houses for miles, no “old people” pulling out. Ever been to Indiana? Lots of places with less people for MILES than a racetrack. Don’t make assumptions. I don’t tell people how to drive in Toronto, that’s their business.
Exactly ! There are so many "not beat to shit", well maintained state ranch roads as they are called in west TX where one can safely open it up. The bigger worry is hitting an armadillo, coyote or livestock. I will politely suggest that our Canadian brother get out of town and head to western Canada. There are so many roads he could enjoy his ride on without worry. I speak from experience.

Sponsored

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford GT500, 2021 Jeep Trackhawk

This is the only wild turkey I've ever hit, and trust me...I wish I hadn't.
12343396270110.png

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Deer are the stupidest animals on the planet - facing away from the road, one jumped forward, the other did a a 230 and took a half bound into the road, then did a 90 and ran along the road before making a hard turn and over the fence.

Anything shorter than 2 feet at the shoulder I just run over if braking is not possible. No point flinching or evading. On the bike the limit is down around 8 inches. Doesn't mean it'll be uneventful but arguing with physics is pointless.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
@voodoo1, I'm with you man, rip up those Mexican roads. It's amazing how many legal experts and nagging mothers come out of the woodwork whenever speeding on public roads comes up :crackup:

Go ahead everyone, tell me I've been a naughty boy, I'm a menace to society, and that I'm going to jail without any dessert. I dare you to chastise me, I find it intensely gratifying when people tell me I'm a bad person.
So tell us Mik, does it give you a woodie ? :crackup: :rockon::facepalm:

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Now that there is funny ! :party:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I think what some of you who "regularly" hit over 100+ on your State rural roads and/or local highways where you believe you're not a danger to the PUBLIC is this:

When you total out (not if, but when), it wasn't a controlled environment and medical help cannot get to you in time (IF you even survive the initial wreck).

I don't get the whole "I'm invincible because I happily did 120, 130, 150+ on a rural road and no one was on it in 10 mins time or I've never seen anyone on it" mentality.

Don't take the post as offensive or "preacher-like" and get all bent about it. It's not about ruining anyone's "fun" as you can go do whatever TF you want to do anywhere - but keep in mind, when you wreck, hopefully you didn't involve anyone in public AND someone can get to you in time to save your sorry ass.

I've owned many Mustangs and other performance vehicles fully knowing their "capabilities" but I do not need to prove those capabilities to myself on ANY public road, even if it's barren.... because I know what the consequences could be...

I mean, if you've already did your "high speed balls to the wall gotta get it outta my system" run on ANY PUBLIC ROAD, why are you continually doing so on a regular basis?

Take it to a track - at least if you total out, someone can get to you within 1-2 mins to hopefully dust you off and not peel you from the wreckage.

--
Maybe instead of all the zillions of freaking Pharmaceutical Drug Commericals, Cancer Commercials and Cigarette Smoker Commercials on TV - they should start advertising graphic images of wrecked Street Racers and wannabe NASCAR drivers who totaled out on public roads and how it impacts all of those involved. I'm sure watching someone peeled off the pavement, from their dash, from a tree or pole would settle some of that "gotta do 140+ just because" mentality.

Yea sure, no one is an angel and everyone speeds - we all get that... but let's just use some damn common sense instead of "welp, it's a barren road and no one is on it <mashes throttle to ludicrous speed>"....

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Deer are the stupidest animals on the planet - facing away from the road, one jumped forward, the other did a a 230 and took a half bound into the road, then did a 90 and ran along the road before making a hard turn and over the fence.

Anything shorter than 2 feet at the shoulder I just run over if braking is not possible. No point flinching or evading. On the bike the limit is down around 8 inches. Doesn't mean it'll be uneventful but arguing with physics is pointless.
Deer are the dumbest animal on the planet - until you are hunting them. Then they magically become the most wary critter ever.

Me and a few other motorcycle friends in my circle have a term, a "squishable". A squishable is a small animal, and the criteria thereof is that if it can be eaten in a single setting by a single human, it can also be safely hit on a bike. It's a good rule of thumb.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Only if Tomster tells me to go directly to jail.
That's what would happen if you were caught doing that. And I don't care if you are on some back road in the middle of nowhere. You would be handcuffed, thrown into the back of the cop car, thrown into the slammer, and your car impounded.

Those aren't my personal feelings, them are facts.

The person in question in the video is supposed to be a person of high responsibility. He has a safety sensitive job and there would be consequences if they ever found out about this. Likewise, if the cops ever came across this video, he may get a phone call from some detectives. There is enough detail in that video to determine location and jurisdiction.

Aside from all that is the moral issue. A person doing that is a danger to himself and others. Take it one step further.... he and his videos glamorized an act that will leave an impression on others that this is cool and ok to do. All for the sake of youtube views?

I used to think he was an intelligent guy. I once respected him. He has just become another one of those youtubers..

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
Deer are the dumbest animal on the planet - until you are hunting them. Then they magically become the most wary critter ever.

Me and a few other motorcycle friends in my circle have a term, a "squishable". A squishable is a small animal, and the criteria thereof is that if it can be eaten in a single setting by a single human, and can also be safely hit on a bike. It's a good rule of thumb.
They're also zombie-terminators. I had a butcher ask me if I hit the deer with my car. Nope, pretty sure I shot it while it was prancing about in the woods. Apparently the entire side of it had been caved in by a large impact at some point. Didn't seem to bother it too much.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.